the ABC's of getting drunk/alcohol vocab...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Streams, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Streams Registered Member

I was raised in a catholic/non-alcoholic family in a different country, so when it comes to party, getting drunk etc and when my peers discuss the various aspects of different kinds of alcohol, I get lost...

So help a brother out..

thanks...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

ok..the more you drink the more drunk you get...although it is important to pace yourself, because you don't want to drink too much.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Okay, if you feel like your legs aren't supporting your body and your face is pressed against a kinda dusty wall you've fallen over. Pick yourself up and continue. This is called being Vertically Impaired, not drunk.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Just drink what people hand you. When the room starts to spin, sit down and drink at half the rate.

Oh, and beware of the dreaded beer goggles.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

this technique would only be effective when you are standing though. You can drink a lot when you are sitting, without feeling too much...until you have to get up...good for comical value though...falling over stuff and such....

9. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Tell Them you don't drink Alcohol because you drink GHB all the time and it would be dangerous to mix them

Generally 2 shots of strongly concentrated alcohol, like in cognac, vodka, whisky etc, may get you in a better drunk state than drinking 8 beers sequentielly (even while the total amount of alcohol of them 8 beers might be more then that 2 shots of vodka)

This is because you drink the vodka in a shorter timeframe than the 8 beers and the beers are diluted with water, so the vodka hits harder and faster, also sweet liquirs tend to hit harder due to sugars somehow faccilitate alcohol absorbtion.

With Alcohol, the headache next morning usually is as big as the amount of fun you had the night before, so that's why I stopped drinking alcohol and switched to GHB.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  10. Streams Registered Member

11. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Remember to drink lots of water too. Lots. Like in a 1:1 ratio with beer, more if you drink harder stuff. It will stop you from dehydrating and in the morning you will be thankful.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Say you had painkillers beforehand if you don't want to drink anything

13. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Ahh the fall down. Part of what makes drinking and parties so much fun.

Also have a gatorade and pain medicine ready for the mornin. Do these things or you will pay. (Actually I only get truly bad hangovers when I drink beer...liquor treats me well for some reason

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

14. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

15. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

I don't think there is anything to discuss about alcohol; you drink it to get drunk. I think discussing the finer points of beer (especially) is a bit pretentious, but wine is maybe a bit different. Just don't get too drunk, that's my advice.

16. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

most important thing to note is the percentage of alcohol by volume of the drink you are going to have.
    NEVER drink on an empty stomach
    NEVER drink to get drunk before you go out
    NEVER mix variouse types of drinks and or medicines or party drugs.

the more you drink the less water your body has to make everything work properly

every time you get a hangover you are getting brain damage

hangovers are the resultuing brain damage of not enough water for the brain to work properly

women suffer slightly more from the same amount of alcohol than men

PERMEMNENT long term memory loss as well as short term memory loss from a drinking episode is a sign of brain damage
    which is quite common amoung regular drinkers, who drink to a point of getting drunk or exceed an aproximate amount of alcohol
    in one drinking episode

alcohol is a poisen to the body that exceeds the amount of cleaning that your liver can do up to the point where the poisen effect starts to spread to the rest of the body
    so your liver can no longer filter the poisen and so you start to get poisened/drunk

the more you damage your liver the less poisen it will be able to
    clean from your blood stream
    your body adapts to the drug by producing other chemicals and not producing some other chemicals
    so regular heavy drinking changes the body chemistry
    to make you an adict addicted to it like any other drug

small amounts regularly
    (HALF A GLASS OF WINE PER DAY WITH A MEAL)
    of good quality wine OR spirits OR naturaly brewed beers can help to reduce/flush toxins from your blood stream and help you to live longer and healthyer life assuming you have no allergy to such things.

most cheap spirits and liquors have flavourings and colours added which can do more dammage than the amount of alcohol in some people.

everyone reacts differently to the same drug to some extent
    some more extreem than others
    so take it slow and build your knolledge with intellegently considered experience and experimentation
    after all it is a drug used to help people forget about thier other life issues
    more issues + more alcohol = more extreem behaviour and consequences from drinking

one glass of water equal to one beer for every 2 beers you drink will help to stop brain damage/hangover
    hard core dancing/sweating will also excrete excess alcohol through your skin and help your liver and your brain but you need to keep drinking water if you aresweating
    people die regularly from such behaviour at rave partys from not drinking enough water or from drinking too much
    BUT DRINKING TOO MUCH is an extreem small quanity

hope that helps

groove on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

play safe today and learn to play another day

17. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

start with a good meal, plenty of water and a multivitamin and/or vitamin b suppliment beforehand. during drinking, space each drink with a generous glass of water. to remain sober, limit yourself to one drink an hour. or if you want to get drunk just be careful to not overdo it especially if you're a novice. before bed, drink as much water as you can handle along with another vitamin b. in the morning, make a smoothie full of fruit and drink more water. vegetable juice is also recommended but careful on the salt. drunkenness is actually a form of dehydration so keep drinking water all day and you should be able to ward off a hangover. i've never had one. i swear it.

ok now for the fun stuff. shots can be fun and tasty. beware the dreaded cement mixer. there's no such thing as an order to drink things in. alcohol is alcohol....you will not get sick based on what you drink, when you drink it, or in what order. bars rip you off on simple drinks. if you prefer a commercial beer, consider bringing your own inside your coat. they won't know the difference and you'll save several bucks on each. wine is a personal favorite of mine. it gives some people nasty headaches though because of the sulfites so be aware of that. chugging of any kind gives you away as being immature. i bought a halfyard of ale the other day and had to whisper to the bartender about how to drink it. it is terribly tall and a challenge to drink at a high standing bar. the simplest way is to take the glass off the stand and hold the base in the palm of your hand below the bar and steady with the other. i pass this along so someone else can avoid the vacant stupid stare at their particularly large glass of ale like myself. (now that i've mastered that, i'm getting the full yard next time). finally, never ever ever leave your glass unattended. bring it with you to the bathroom or get a new one when you get back. not only for girls, guys have to be careful too.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm going to stand up to several posts we have seen now, although this may sound weird.

We have heard the advice of drinking plenty of water many times now (and other healthy variations), but I wouldn't recommend it. Alcohol is a toxin, and why bother to pretend to drink in a healthy manner if you are drinking at all. Get dehydrated, do the wrong things and regret it in the morning.

Do not try to make the consumption of alcohol legitimate for yourself by making it 'healthy.'

Otherwise just have a good glass of wine during dinner. That should be enough to enjoy alcohol.

19. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

it's not terribly healthy even with water. but you can at least have a fun night and prevent a painful morning by drinking the water.

20. New Life Registered Senior Member

If you're a person who is used to staying up late at night normally you should stop drinking well before you go to bed. Go to bed once you're mostly sober again and you should avoid most hangovers.

I agree with the others, eat before you drink, dont drink heavily on an empty stomach or when you're really tired

Some people say that mixing drinks will cause you to have a hangover or puke (ie drinking beer and vodak in the same night), I havent ever had a problem mixing drinks, but some of my friends have so you should try it and find out for yourself.

some of the vocab:

if you're not really drunk yet, but you're feeling some effects then you're Tippsy

if you're not walking in a straight line and are slurring your words you're sloshed

if you cant stand up or the room is spinning you're tanked

after that you're getting into alcohol poisoning/passing out/etc....try to avoid this!

21. jps Valued Senior Member

If you want to be healthy don't drink. smoke pot :m:

22. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

All this 'memory loss' would take a serious amount of alcohol, in my opinion. After a drinking episode I can sometimes struggle with sentences the next day, and my memory won't be too good either. However after some time of not drinking; a few days, or a week or so, and my memory is back to normal, I'm sure! Like I said, I think it would take a serious amount of alcohol to do any lasting damage, but I still recommend eating well before drinking, and maybe doing what I do, by not drinking in the week. Week days are for working, and the weekend is for enjoyment.

23. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Some of you need to loosen up, go have a good bender (without drinking water every other time -gasp!), hit on some ugly girls, and fall down a couple times...drinking is not about planning and control. It is about doing stupid shit and laughing about it the next day.