Is my house radioactive?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Automan, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

Hi all!,

Just watching the news from Maryland (live), a rollercoaster had gone faulty. How long will we have to put up with this terrorism? All the other stuff fair enough, but they are messing with our rides man!! That’s sacrilege, even to non-believers! Surely this should invoke a nuclear response?

On a more serious note :
    Is my house radioactive?

I'm currently living back at home. I feel warm ALL THE TIME. I must go outside every 40mins or so to cool down in the wind. This does not happen in other houses and occurs even when the heating is off. I used to feel fine as a child, now I feel like hell when I live here. My immune system, concentration and sleep are all affected.

I have considered :
    Radon gas, the area has a lot of caves.
    We use an MMDS (microwave) TV distribution system in the area. We have a very high number of GSM phones/masts. And are between two mountains. Is my house a focusing point/frequency transformer for MW radiation?

Any other mad ideas?

I hope the people get off the ride, or I'm going to look bad.

'It wasn't me Del Boy, honest! It was me brain!' OF&H.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Invite Dr. Kathasung for thea, if he also gets sweaty and jittery, you KNOW it's from the microwave eavesdroppping devices that the feds have placed there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Does the air conditioner work?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Wait for a while till you glow in the dark. Then you can be positive that your house is radioactive.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Most houses should be radioactive...especially if they are not made out of wood, but out of concrete or stone.

9. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

Whats a Kathasung? (three little kittens?), .. just shoot me..See? there is something wrong with me! THIS IS SERIOUS! How can anyone stand by while a fellow human being is feeling clammy ALL THE TIME!? A miserable state of existence…

Sadly Gifted, the aircon in this part of the world is generated by the Arctic and the Gulf stream. As I don't see any glaciers bouncing down the mountains, I assume its working. I'm disinclined to switch it off, as its pretty old and may not start again…

I take Spuriousmonkey's point, however in my effort to detect significant radiation, I built a geiger counter out of a smoke alarm. Its geiging, but seems average enough on alpha particles anyway.. My guitar string MW detector, is crap, back to the drawing board on that one.

Even the cat is acting strange lately.. I NEED to SLEEP!! What is causing this?

'According to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle, chaos is found in great abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organised'
    Terry Pratchett.

10. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Health Effects Associated with Carbon Monoxide
    At low concentrations, fatigue in healthy people and chest pain in people with heart disease. At higher concentrations, impaired vision and coordination; headaches; dizziness; confusion; nausea. CAN CAUSE FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS THAT CLEAR UP AFTER LEAVING HOME.
    Fatal at very high concentrations.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/atozindex.html

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  11. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Yes your house is radioactive.

12. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

Dying like Dave Bowman's brother...

Good thinking Vortexx! Interesting.. We don’t have gas heating, or any OBVIOUS source of carbon monoxide, but I'm gonna check it out…
    And open all the windows.

13. venomx Registered Senior Member

if it was radiation at a level to create noticeable warmth you'd also be kinda dead....
    lately a russian ex-submariner told a british newspaper of a accident in the 1970's aboard a submarine. One of the crew was exposed to a line of sight blast of radiation while this guy was standing next to him sheilded by a door. He reported feeling oddly warm, and in a matter of minutes of course died from radiation exposure but was boiling hot about 108 F. He'd been microwaved with neutron emissions.

so don't have to worry about radon i think...

do you have a black or darkly coloured roof?

14. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

Death by radioactive cat dandruff!

I've cracked it! (obvious pun..)
    The cat's strange behaviour was GUILT!! Normally she doesn’t get past the kitchen, but guess who's been sneaking around? To quote the Dead Milkmen (Canadian band?) she believes 'If you love somebody, you should set them on FIRE!'. I must have developed a weird spontaneous reaction to poisonous cat dandruff! Its never been a problem before (no allergies), but all those years away must have lowered my resistance… I did a scratch test, and my house may not glow in the dark Airavata, but my arm sure as hell does!

Its going to be expensive to treat/replace all the carpets, but I have a cunning plan.. I'm going to repeat Schrodinger's experiment, lock the cat and my geiger counter in my GOD DAMNED RADIOACTIVE HOUSE, burn it to the ground and claim on the insurance!. As the cat will be neither alive nor dead, I won’t feel GUILTY!! I seem to remember the smoke alarm has gone faulty somehow…

Venomx, out of curiousity, where were you going on this? The roof tiles are dark gray, just interested… In response to your advice on radioactivity, I know I seemed off the ball, but I've been getting electric shocks from unearthed metal objects. I now realise this was caused by lower resistance in my SWEATY HANDS..bah, but as these charges can be caused by radiation, I put 2+2 and got 10 to -40 (happens when your exhausted

. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing… all hypochondriacs WILL DIE!

Thanks for your help on this! I'm thinking I will give the cat a break and buy Clarytin instead. She has been lonely since 'the Lord' died a while back.

As in the immortal FLW of Socrates : 'I drank what?!….'

Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  15. plasticwingsmelting Banned Banned

suicide may be your only fix, kid

16. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

Premium rate suicide hotline.

Slept finally, feel good. But… Seth is right Andre, there is only one way forward. I felt doubt of this and tried to call the suicide hotline, but they are now a 'Premium Rate' number…

FTW.

Kidding, can't die yet, work to do...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2003