dismantle HUMOR

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by chris dlugosz, Jul 1, 2003.

1. i am sure this has been widely discussed and there is much info about this everywhere. but i will post this anyway.

----- WHAT EXACTLY IS H U M O R ???? -----

when most people try to answer this question, they usually end up just giving an EXAMPLE of something humorous, which is NOT a direct definition of this reactive mechanism that takes place in the mind. we all know that seeing someone slip on a banana peel triggers "X" in the mind, which then triggers the chaotic exhalation and muscle contortion known as laughter and smiling. but the more i try to get to the root of what this mental X is, the more i realize my brain just doesn't want to let me figure it out.

X seems to be some sort of enjoyment of a VERY WIDE RANGE of input. the wideness of this range (say from slapstick, to irony, to utter absurdity) is what makes X so difficult to get a grasp on.

any thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grey Seal Guest

from disctionary.com

7 entries found for humor.
    hu·mor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hymr)
    n.
    The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
    That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
    The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd. See Synonyms at wit1.
    One of the four fluids of the body, blood, phlegm, choler, and black bile, whose relative proportions were thought in ancient and medieval physiology to determine a person's disposition and general health.
    Physiology.
    A body fluid, such as blood, lymph, or bile.
    Aqueous humor.
    Vitreous humor.
    A person's characteristic disposition or temperament: a boy of sullen humor.
    An often temporary state of mind; a mood: I'm in no humor to argue.

A sudden, unanticipated whim. See Synonyms at mood1.
    Capricious or peculiar behavior.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Candide Registered Senior Member

humour is a surprise that one can predict or work out after the event (usually non-life threatening). laughing accompanies the suprise to release what natural response (adrenal) that was built up by the surprise.

so i reckon it has something to do with

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

SURPISE

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.