Confidence and human development comes from the diet and the body

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by nanoboy, Jul 1, 2003.

1. nanoboy Registered Senior Member

If we study the cultures of the greeks and romans, they put great emphasis on their diet, body and physiology then all the rest came after that.
    In ancient greece boys were trained with light exercises till they completed their school program. After that they were sent out to exercise and build muscular strength for 2-3 years before entering college. After their muscle-strength cycles they returned to lighter exercises.
    They did this way because the greeks thought that the work of the body was an impediment to the work of the mind (hence the world school meant in greek "otium" (leisure), so they worked either their bodies or their minds not both things at once.
    The greeks believed that the body and diet were far superior to the soul, the soul was just a representation of their bodies, they relied on beauty a lot, and one couldn't achieve beauty without hard diets and hard exercises.
    Another important thing of physical-beauty is that physical-beauty increases the desires, the will (to-want), a beautiful person is encouraged to do some thing just because of beauty acts like a spark plug, maybe this is why ancient greeks had to be beautiful, so that they could excel in other things like science, etc.

nanoboy

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spookz Banned Banned

nonsense. the teachers were just lecherous old farts

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Care to elaborate on that and/or provide some supporting evidence?
    I don't buy it.
    At least not from what you just said.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nanoboy Registered Senior Member

How can't u understand something that u don't know

Read the greco-roman cultures and see what i am talking about. In ancient greece love of physical beauty was set above love of the person. Unless you are a devoted christian you would notice that you are your body, the body is you, in other words a higher body, a higher self esteem (at least if u are not idealist)
    A system like the ancient greeks that was capable of producing the minds of Plato and Socrates was a system with a deep appreciation for physical beauty. Perhaps the single-minded devotion to physical beauty, in the ancient Greek novel, is unrealistic, though if taken metaphorically, it is not. The point of greatest importance is that, whatever the particular manifestation of beauty, the ideals of the ancient Greeks were grounded in an appreciation of beauty itself, we have evidence of this because of their statues, arts, etc. devotion to physical beauty was above the concerns of everyday life.

nanoboy

8. spookz Banned Banned

homo

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think rather they are two seperate incarnations resulting from the culture.
    I don't think that being physically beautiful would help you excel in science, art or philosophy.
    The ancient Greeks and Romans put forth a lot of effort into developing a culture with a great deal of leisure and luxury.
    A culture that fosters free thought.

All that leisure time would allow a lot of time and effort to be spent on productive measures (such as philosophy and science).
    It would also afford people the luxury of personal beauty.

Do you really think that Plato looked in the mirror and said, "I am soooo beautiful. I think I will write "The Republic."?

Take the average person living in the European Dark Age and compare them to the average person living in Ancient Greece.

The European will be worrying where he will be getting his next loaf of bread and how he will survive till then without dying of hunger or the Bubonic Plague.
    How much time or inclination do you think he will have to dedicate to socio-political reflection, sculpting and personal grooming?
    Plus, if he went to school at all, how far do you think he got?

The Greek, on the other hand, will have had a top-notch university education, not know what it is to go hungry have the social structure and encoragement to excel in arts and sciences and have the time and inclination to beautify himself.

I agree that a healthy diet and regular exercize would not only make your body more healthy, but your mind.
    However, I can't see how primping your hair and unclogging your pores would make you more intelligent, creative or resourceful.

By the way, when you make assumptions about what I do and do not know, and what I have and have not read, you come off as arrogant.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  10. nanoboy Registered Senior Member

Bring me your mom and i'll show u i'm no homo

Why don't you show bring me your mother to prove u i'm not a homo

11. grover Registered Senior Member

Nanoboy, didn't plato/socrates think that the body imprisons the soul? Isn't that kind of the opposite of what you're saying?

12. nanoboy Registered Senior Member

We need brain-chemicals to perform mentally

The reason to include sports in students is plainly brain-chemicals. You need some brain-chemicals to read a book, u can't do this by sedentarism which depletes hormones, brain-chemicals which leads to monotony and lack of stimulation.
    Plato + Aristotle talked about *excess* of sports as the evil in some ancient-greeks. However they included *light* sports among students.
    Remember the ancient-greeks were more developed than we are today. Don't know why, but i suspect they were a lot smarter than most people u meet today ;-)

nanoboy