Confidence and Self Esteem

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by qfrontier, Jun 29, 2003.

1. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

According to the great Dalai Lama, confidence comes from honesty. When you are honest, you need not to hide anything from anyone so you feel much comfortable in situations, what do you guys think confidence is and how is it produced in the human mind?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

I do not believe that. Many times people will give off confidence, but it will be a false confidence. The person in question could easily delude themselves into overestimating their personal capacity which would manifest itself into what we consider confidence. Therefore if the confidence arose from self delution, then confidence does not always come from honesty, because if the person could be honest with themselves then the confidence would not exist ( due to whatever weakness exists)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

Its possible because if your honest with yourself, then you behave confident without knowing you are confident. Knowing that you are confident can create a tendency for you to overestimate urself. But being confident without knowing your confident can be seen as true confidence

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. koolmodee I'm alive! Registered Senior Member

You can be completely honest but still have low self confidence. Some people may worry about other people doubting their honesty....as an example

8. twobob Registered Senior Member

Confidence is a modern-day fashion statement.

Thats why you will find teenagers that are so dissmisive.
    They are addicted to confidence.

Confidence has always stifled great minds.

9. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

Nice quote twobob

If your completely honest, then you need not worry about what others think of your honesty because you KNOW you are honest..know what i mean?

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

You need be comfortable with who and what you are. So many people base their image on what others think that they become someone other than themselves. Many of us are made of clay.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. koolmodee I'm alive! Registered Senior Member

If you are honest doesn't mean that other people like what you are...and its easy to loose confidence in yourself when the surrounding people do not like you. That doesn't mean that everyone in this situation would start living a lie in order for other people to like them (although it does happen); so a person could stay being their honest self but have low self-esteem

12. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Most base their confidence on what others make or say of them but yet there's a tiny bunch that actually don't. These are the few that can hold their head high yet these, these rare few that should be held as examples to you all, are the ones you frown on first.

Why?

Is there anthying wrong in believing you're fantastic in spite of it all? You being the only one that knows you like you do thinking you're a swell human being has more pull (in my opinion or IMO) than a stadium full of people that might think the same thing.

and yet people frown on people that think like this.

Why?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Hey, I love the Dalai Lama as much as the next unreconstructed Flower Child. But he lives in a different plane than the rest of us. In his frame of reference, the words "confidence," "honesty," "comfort," and probably even "the human mind" simply don't mean quite the same thing as they do to us.

I don't think that understanding anything he says and then trying to apply it to our lives out here in the real world is very easy.

The Red Chinese made him a hero, but they didn't give us a Decoder Ring.

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Says Fraggle
    L-o-L

15. twobob Registered Senior Member

I know it grates on your sensibilities.... but deny your confidence and you will see the stars

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you, ..yes ...YOU, DONT KNOW THE TRUTH.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  16. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

I like what Dr. Phil usually says. Confidence and things like that are not some feeling that comes rushing over you. It's something that you can chose to gain. Personally I realized that it can be a choice. In short, there was a lot of situations where I felt vulnerable, which is often completely illogical since we are almost never subjected to any real physical danger. For me it was about opening up seeking connection instead of withdrawing when I feel vulnerable. I guess basically it comes down to that I had to realize that every human is inherently a social being and nurturing that side of myself would give me alot of confidence. For a guy with "panic anxiety" opening up can feel like accepting a knife in the heart. In fact, I think that's a major problem with many people that are mentally ill. Especially delusional people that think someone is poisoning your food. To regain a decent life, you have to give it up. Well? That must be the hardest thing you can do. Blah blah blah..

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Confidence and Self Esteem

Judging from what I have read of this post, it's an emotional state of mind.

18. Marigny Registered Senior Member

sometimes....

when others affect you negatively, you can temporarily get a little low in confidence, you know, self esteem falling a bit next to your shoe. but confidence has nothing to do with honesty. you can be honest and be confident or dishonest and like the other person says, you can display false confidence....hmm, now wait a minute, i don't think so. even a person who is "false" is never confident! How can that be?? You can always tell!

Oh, ok, my take on confidence, take care of yourself, look out for number 1, you. and when i mean taking care of yourself, look good to boost your self confidence and most importantly, don't give a shit what other people say! unless it's in a positive manner which by the way benefits YOU.

19. Abnak Registered Senior Member

I haven't read much about the Dalai Lama , but many of his little sayings reminds me of a psychology major who generalizes and is prone to over-refinement .

One thought ...Maybe he is speaking about confidence derived from being honest with oneself .

I do think that sometimes there is a relationship between confidence and honesty . Lying to others can be uncomfortable for some . To be honest is less effort . This makes proceeding easier, which can instill self-assurance .

20. ele Registered Senior Member

Maybe what the quote from the Dalai Lama says relates to that interview preparation thing where you work out your greatest deficit and then think of the way you can say it most positively and self-affirmingly, by looking at it the right way. It may be about journeying through truth to gained confidence.