Funding for projects

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by laxweasel, Jun 28, 2003.

?

How do you fund your robitics projects?

1. Have a job that involves robotics

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Have a job and use salary to pay for it

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Grant, Venture Capital, or other such funds

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Pay? I steal the stuff!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laxweasel Registered Senior Member

I've been wondering about this because I want to get into doing my own projects but I wonder what everyone's source of funding is...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. warpling Registered Member

Biased

Ok, first off. If you steal LED and transistors thats just sad. You gotta have some spare cash laying around some where. And plz this guy wants help not biased results. Well ok but.. ya... duhh...

~Ryan~

Helping to make the world dummer :m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. laxweasel Registered Senior Member

Thanks, yea. I put "Steal stuff" as a joke. See, I'm a student and money is not easily come by. Therefore I want to find out how people get money for these projects.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

laxweasel: If you have some great ideas then maybe your school can help. If you do not have money then forget hardware and work on software-only projects. You can get a good tool for free and if you need people, search for people like you. If the project is successful, you may sell it, if not, you will have at least some experience. You can do lots of great things with very little money.

8. laxweasel Registered Senior Member

G71: Sounds great. I don't think my school will be able to help because it's a public school strapped for money, so it's a bit hard. But yes, software projects sounds good and there are a few people like me who would love to help.

9. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

laxweasel: Some tips: Consider PHP/MySQL for web development. It's FREE and powerful combination of scripting language and a database system - supported almost everywhere. You can also develop very powerful .NET applications without buying MS's Visual Studio. You can just download the .NET runtime from MS's web (FREE) + a free IDE like SharpDevelop (which supports C# and also VB.NET). You do not need to buy expensive books. Get it from public libraries and learn from Internet. Consider working on AI projects. It's a pretty cool world - our future (I believe)..

My little story: Some time ago, I was a young boy who loved to play logical games (and I also had some limited experience with programming). One night, I played a game called Kikugi. I could not solve one of the levels and it was KILLING ME because I thought I was a really good player of this kind of games. I was trying hard for another 2 nights without success. That level was just somehow against my way of thinking. So I sat down and (in 2 hours) wrote a code which solved the game in 1 hour (running on an old 8-bit computer). When I verified the solution, I was stunned! It worked! I got extremely excited about the discovery that my own code can actually solve logical problems which I'm "unable" to solve. That experience had a huge impact on my life. Now, as an experienced senior software engineer, I'm not so excited about the value of that particular algorithm, but I'm still very excited about the general idea. Our computers can do truly amazing things. They can see what we cannot. It may not be so obvious but we live in a very dangerous environment and we need them to think for us. Keep it in mind when thinking about your future projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.