Is Intelligence real?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by MechTech, Jun 24, 2003.

1. MechTech Registered Senior Member

What is intelligence? Is intelligence real?

I believe that intelligence is arbitrary, and, in fact, that all humans have the SAME intelligence. (Possibly exceptions with people who have any types of brain damage).

The key is COMMUNICATION! I believe anyone can comprehend anything, BUT can you explain it to them, and WILL they be willing to take the time to teach themselves?

The problem most people aren't scored as having ridiculously high intelligences is because the tests are ARBITRARY! Any of the things which they test could be learned by anyone willing, at any point in his/her life. Would that mean that person is more intelligent? I would say it would only mean that that person was more knowledgable

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It really boils down to "Do I want to sit here and study for ridiculous amounts of time?" or "Do I want to just live a normal life?"

Anything can be comprehended, but can it be communicated? Also, keep in mind, that how to communicate something with a person is DIFFERENT for EVERY person. An effective method for communication with person A may be a horrible method for communication with person B. The best example of this would be human language. Communicating with me in English is much better than communicating with me in Japanese, as I don't even know the language. On the other hand, communicating with a person who only speaks Japanese in Japanese will be much more effective than communicating with him/her in English

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

the language anaolgy seems rather farfetched but i do see your point.

just about every1 can understan anything. but some people apear 'stupid' because it is dificult to comunicate the thinng u wish them to understand to them.

not a knew idea mind you. i see it all the time in teachers hand books. there are 9 difrent types of 'inteligences'. ways a person needs to be comunicated to atian the most information out of it. essesntially every1 falls into on or more of these areas. sycholigists have been studying this since the late 90s i bieleve.

this could easily be the first serius post ive ever made...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Edit:

meh, pointless post by yours truly...
    just a re-hash of all that was said.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

8. doom Registered Senior Member

Its not a test of knowledge,youre wrong,it tests your ability to solve problems,logicaly,and depends on the tests and speed you do em in.

Online tests do the "self test" thing which are innacurate i get back 150+,
    but on an official paper by mensa which was marked and times i scored 120,it HAS to be an actual thing where you are given a paper to do and have it marked under exam conditions to be accurate.

That said EVERYONE can solve an iq question sooner or later,they are all solvable even by some retards which get 65 and under in tests,maybe it takes you 4 minutes while i take 1 hour,but id get it eventually so its time.

That said it seems artists get the higher scores,something to do with creativity,this of coarse makes sense davinci scored 205 under test,mozart 165,so to be creative youd need the logic running full throttle.

9. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Oh, really ?

Without knowledge of how to add, substract, multiply or
    divide numbers, a person would not be able to correctly
    answer a question asking about the aformentioned. It is
    then obvious to see that KNOWLEDGE of mathematics is
    a pre-requisite to taking a test involving even just basic
    levels of mathematical calculations.

The same holds true for questions involving language,
    visual manipulations, pattern recognition, et cetera. It
    is obvious that a moderate amount of knowledge will be
    needed for a person to successfully take an IQ test and
    not completely fail to get a fair score. I would assume
    that a person of great knowledge and computational
    power would "ace" such a test but my main point is that
    without knowledge, you would NOT be able to take your
    test.

Any questions ?

EDIT:

Da Vinci and Mozart did not take Intellectual Quotient tests:
    professionals simply gave them a number which they thought
    represented their level of ability in comparison with modern
    day "equivalents"; that is to say, others in their specific field
    of expertise.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You could argue that IQ tests are only a valid measurement of how well you did on an IQ test. It doesn't measure anything else. It's a test of competence, not knowledge. (I did a whole area on intellegence in Psychology, sweet. Still can't spell the word tho :bugeye: )

I have quoted a more or less reasonable definition of what intelligence is on this forum untold dozens of times. So I'll say it again...

Intelligence - An inferred characteristic of an individual, usually difined as the ability to profit from experience, acquire knowledge, think abstractly, or adapt to changes in the environment.

It's not the definite definition as no-one has yet determined what intelligence is for sure. And if we did it'll be a huge list of things andI doubt anyone would read it.

Of course it's no coincidence. That's because smart people will obviously score well on the test. And that's the flaw. Smart does not mean intelligent. The nomadic people in Arabia are intelligent, you may not think so but their ability to survive and adapt shows amazing intelligence. Try putting a scientist who has never been outside of say New York and place him in Saudi Arabia without any prior research and see what happens.

IQ tests do not take into account everything we know of intelligence. It cannot show experience, how fast we learn, how we adapt, or anything for that matter. So it is not a valid measure of intelligence.

11. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Welcome Cthulhus slave, and I look forward to reading more of your serious posts!

Intelligence cannot be anything learnt! If something is learnt, then it is learnt, nothing more. If someone has been told something; a fact, or how figures can be manipulated (mathematics) then it is not intelligence! Memory can therefore be discounted! Reasoning could be intelligence: reasoning is knowing that one thing is equal to another (fundamentally), however I would say given the world we exist in, intelligence is the ability to understand the physicality of it. Being able to take a '3 dimensional' pattern in one's head (visualize it) and rotate it, etc. is intelligence. However this does include memory: the ability to hold something in the mind while manipulating it, so it is likely I am wrong.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Are you saying intelligence is inherited? Because that's the other arguement when you say it isn't learnt. If it's not then I didn't understand a thing you just said :bugeye:

13. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

I don't know, it's a complicated subject.

I would say intelligence itself is not something that can be learnt, and learning facts themselves does not make one intelligent, either! I wouldn't say it is inherited, but I would say psychologically (because of the environments people are brought up in) people only have access to different parts of the 'intelligence' we all have; the kingdom is within, and we can all enter it, if we follow God...

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I think following god would lead to a decrease in intelligence.

It's absurd (imho) that intelligence is inherited. Look at all of the thick people with smart kids and all of the smart people with idiot kids. Just plain observation can cancel that out. Maybe the ability to gain intelligence is inherited, but that's not the arguement.

Knowing facts contributes to someones overall intelligence, it is not the full picture however. It's possibly only a snippet of the picture.

I do not believe there will be a valid measurment of intelligence until we can actually do deep, thourough brain scanning. That's the only way I can think of and that doesn't seem to be a valid measurement either. Guess we'll never know...

15. MechTech Registered Senior Member

Actually, that is exactly what I am saying

However, I am saying that, as humans, we ALL inherit the same intelligence

The only differences between people are amount of memory, and efficiency of mental computation.

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

What about experiences?

17. MechTech Registered Senior Member

Experiences would be the data which is stored in the memory, and hence fall into the same category

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

It could be argued that the ability to remember is linked with intelligence, as in it forms the overall intelligence of a person.

And everybody has different experiences. If just one of the variables that make intelligence is different, then everyones intelligence is different.

19. MechTech Registered Senior Member

Yes, but my definition of intelligence is that it is a capability, not a learned trait. Intelligence is the capability to learn.

In other words---Is it possible for you to learn this, this, or that, given infinite time? If so, then you have the intelligence to do it

20. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Good point, IQ tests measure performance and not capacity.

21. doom Registered Senior Member

Yes so in other words you can learn knowledge and therefore also learn to get better IQ results.

Unless of coarse you definatly have a psychological and/or physical brain damage.

Assuming you are of sound and healthy mind you should be able to increase your IQ.

So is intelligence real?

For us YES for everything else NO,everything else appears to not be complex enough to be both self aware and have appreciation for art and creativity and does not desire CHANGE of surroundings.

You dont see a dog or a cat look at a piece of art and stare at it in awe.

Animals have a level of consciousness like us some maybe at the same level,but the intelligence isnt there its FAKE,things can appear intelligent but are actually not.

An ant can look like its doing something clever but they are actually carrying out programming,inbuilt systems and reflexes.

Gotta define the difference between survival programming,reflexes and habit.

We have those things like animals but we have that thing extra and that maybe is intelligence.

However if you then say "so what do you get with even more complex brains/systems than us?"

what if that is REAL intelligence,what if they ask the same?
    are we the limit to what any living thing can get to?

Or is all this creativity that seems like intelligence just a habitual survival mechanism?

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

I think humans could have the ability to be equally intelligent, but we all don't utilize the same percentage of our brains. Some brains are more developed than others. All the knowledge of the universe is there in every brain. When scientists develop all that cutting-edge technology, the know-how was already in their brains. All they did was "remember" it.

23. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

LOL

I can guarantee you that everyone is born tabula rasa and that
    no matter how you think they could, "unlocking" the mind would
    NOT give them instantaneous knowledge and intellect.

Also, I'm against the idea that everyone stands at the same
    level as people like Newton, Da Vinci, Plato, Einstein, Pythagoras,
    Gauss and other intellectually superior individuals: if it were really
    the case, why are such minds so rare ? Many people I know have
    made considerable efforts to increase their knowledge, memory
    and speed but even then, only a few have seen some progress.

Some factors are inherent to the person, like computational power
    and to some extent, memory: you can only improve yourself by so
    much before your progress line reaches its peak near the asymptote.

Bark away...