Playing Cards

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by NightFall, Jun 24, 2003.

1. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

During a very interesting game of "go fish" i got to wondering about the origin of cards and card games.
    Does anyone know how the use of playing cards came about?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dribbler Banned Banned

cards come from the latin word "caris" which means bread. bakers were known to have made certain breads in the 800's and to allow one to understand the differences they were given numbers and names. being as royalty was prevelant, the names revolved around the king and queen. they rest of the cards came from the numbers used to make sequetial order up to the highest number the king and queen based things off of, 10. the ten is the basis for the metric system and resulted in the numbering fashion. after baking all of the bread and placing it into different groups there were artists hired to paint the back of the bread for aesthetics.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

I have never heard your bread theory before. It is rather interesting, I will give you that.

Here is the best source i've found so far.

http://playing-cards.us/main.html

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dribbler Banned Banned

you will find reference to the bread theory on most major loaves of bread. look on the outside packaging.

8. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

ummm, i think Klutz (a playing card company) makes a book on the history of card games.... i got it for christmas one year when i was ittybitty!! you could probably find it on amazon.com or something if you want.

9. gracie_lou Registered Senior Member

that sounds about right. kinda crazy, but it does sound like it is plausible. i'm gullible enough to belive that.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

they came from tarrot cards

thats what the first decks were so look for something from gipsys

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I figured the playing cards had something to do with coming from tarot, but where the hell did the tarot cards originate?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

try gypsy history for that

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Just one link on the tarot and playing cards.

14. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

15. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i feel card fluent.. i can know may games on regualr playing cards, and i can also read tarot..

16. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

I got a tarot reading set a while back. It gave me an oppurtunity to dress up like a wizard/witch cross breed and act possessed with all my friends.