Help me solve this puzzle

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by theonlyguyever, Jun 23, 2003.

1. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

You have 12 balls. Eleven weigh exactly the same. One weighs slightly more or less than the other 11. You have a double-beam balance scale that you may use 3 times. Identify the ball that is different, and tell me if it weighs more or less than the other 11.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

For the heaviest:

Place six balls on each side of the scale. From the side that is heavier, split the six into two groups of three, on on each side of the scale. From the side that is heavier take all three and place any two on opposite sides of the scale.

If they balance, the heaviest is in your hand.
    If they do not, the answer is obvious!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For the lightest, replace "heavier" with "lighter", and "heaviest" with "lightest" in the above.

:m: Peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dribbler Banned Banned

1 - weigh two sets of four - if any difference then take the heavier set. if not then take the set you did not weigh.

2 - split the set you grabbed into two sets of two. weigh them and determine if there is a difference. there will be.

3 - take the heavier side of the two sets of two and split them. weigh each ball individually.

result - you will have determined which ball is heavier.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

...and used the scale four times instead of three.

9. Myq Registered Member

no... I think dribbler has it. I count three times. And if the four he weighs originally on each side are equal in weight, then he has the two groups of two which only require two more weighings...

I think dribbler has it.

10. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

No. If the odd ball is lighter then he would have wasted 2 tries.

11. dribbler Banned Banned

No, count again jokerz...tiz three. you do not need to weigh one becuase you know if it is heavier if the first weighing is even.

Peace Goofy, but it looks like Nader is right, as much as you do not want me to be, i am correct.

12. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

it is 4 joker. you're taking only the heavier group for weighing. what if the odd ball is lighter than the others..? you 3rd weighing will show both the balls balance and leave you blinking. you need 4 tries to find the odd ball then. the link given above gives a good solution.

13. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

ide say ur just a damn freak for having twelve balls.
    u seriusly need to see a doctor.

14. dribbler Banned Banned

jagass! review my method again and you will note that there are only three actual weighings. my method incorporates the same formula that is noted on the reference site.

15. siledre Registered Senior Member

I hate puzzles, I would just weigh all 12 till I found the one that wasn't the same and smash it with a rock so it would never bother me again.

16. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

if the odd ball happens to be lighter than other balls then your method, ofcourse wieghs only three, and does find your own ball is odd. it does not work.
    as i said your method works only if the odd ball is heavier than other balls. the solution from the site is complete and is significantly different. your method is basically Goofyfish's method and the difference is - he knows its limitations whereas you don't know wtf you are talking about.

17. dribbler Banned Banned

it is impossible for one ball to be lighter than the others!

18. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I say take all of the balls, and begin throwing them at the instructor. Threaten with more pummeling unless the answer is relevealed.

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You attach more importance to yourself than the rest of us do.