I hate love songs

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xev, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Xev Registered Senior Member

It seems that everywhere you go, there's an advert selling love or selling a thing using love.

You wake up to the radio playing song after song about falling in and out of love, so you turn off the radio and put on a cd. If you watch the news on tv, you're sure to be deluged by ads using lovers to sell everything from diamonds to beer to genital herpes medication. So turn off the tv and look to the paper - bad move there. You're sure to be deluged with 'human interest' stories about sweet, sweet love as well as to run across a million ads promising to fix you up with the love of your dreams.

Get in your car and go to work, hoping that your grey oubliette of wage-slavery will be free of this tripe.

Wrong! You're still stuck in this sick, relationship-plastered Mobius strip as your co-workers chatter incessantly about the trials and tribulations of their romantic lives. "Umm-hmm". "How nice". "Indeed". "In the name of all that is good and pure, just let me read my book".

"Oh, is it a romance? A self-help book? A book on relationships? A book of sex tips so that you can please your man?"

You flash back to your last trip to the bookstore, and the pink mile of romances you had to walk through to get to the philosophy section. You remember the flush of revulsion you felt when you realized that Thomas Moore had written a book covering the works of the Divine Marquis. Please god oh please no, is nothing sacred? Have the pink shirted Gestapo gotten their lace covered hands on the most repulsive of all existential writers?

And you're back at work, trying to shake the trauma of that memory. And your coworker loves her boyfriend. And your coworker is fighting with his girlfriend, and what do you think he should do? And do you have a boyfriend, and how are things going with him.

I can't be the only cold bitch who can't stand this incessant "love" crap anymore.
    I can't be the only one who thinks that Harlequin romances should be sold in biohazard bags.
    I can't be the only one who thinks that having a significant other is an elaboration on my life, not the purpose of my life.

Thus I propose a boycott of any and every product that is sold using 'love' as a gimmick. I say we should petition the FCC to regulate 'love songs' so that a given radio station can play only two per hour. Romantic subplots should be a novelty, not a given, and let's stay away from the theatres until this is a fact.

And anyone who talks about their 'relationship' to a nonconsenting person for more than ten minutes should be shot.
    To quote another Gwar song:

"Don't need a lover, don't need a man, don't need anything"

(Although "Formula" would work nicely here)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Does this include homosexual love?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yes, let's force your opinion and preferences on the world...oh joy.....happy happy joy joy.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fredx Banned Banned

Xev said:

"I can't be the only one who thinks that Harlequin romances should be sold in biohazard bags."

I couldn't agree more.

Some love songs are good, but I won't give away the ones I use to woo a prospective mate, figure out your own people!

And what does this mean: oubliette. Sounds French or Italian!

From my understanding of etymology it means "something that you should do", a "bow", a "courtesy", a "debt".

A word that is definitely appropriate of love.

According to some Harry Potter site I found: oubliette means "a dungeon with an opening only at the top."

That figures.

Harry Potter is a romance novel, thats why 20 year old girls love to read it. ha.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  8. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

happy happy joy joy... now i have that evil toe nail song in my head again! havent seen tthat show in years and still that episode haunts me!

as for love and shit, there is no difrents. i agree strongly that having a 'lover' is ok but its not the only thing. besides, most people with a spoce,bf,gf hate em.
    and i hate em.
    i have no intention of geting a gf. mostly cause i find most people stupid and sickening.
    i hate love and i love to hate... thats sircle logic if ever ive used it.

btw im in the chat rite now.

9. fredx Banned Banned

Xev said:

"I can't be the only one who thinks that having a significant other is an elaboration on my life, not the purpose of my life."

For me my significant other will be the most important thing in my life but definitely not the only important thing.

Xev said:

"You remember the flush of revulsion you felt when you realized that Thomas Moore had written a book covering the works of the Divine Marquis."

Plenty of philosophers have written about romance, even they had blood in their veins sometimes.

10. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

in hpl books the romantics always went insane or got eaten. may i site dagon (the movie), a horror in duwich, or picmans model. in every book the romantics always were weeded out. leaving no1 but the cold scientists who sat by and obbserved what happend and then lived to write about it.

*bloody lips and sinking ships. bloodstaind knives and dieing soldiers*

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

sargentlard:
    How do you get this from my post?
    Did Rosa Parks 'force her preferences' on everyone else?
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm the one who has to deal with 'love love love love love' until I am driven insane.

fredx:
    That's the sense I meant.

True, but the idea of the King of Tripe writing about my second favorite existentialist just makes me want to sic a Saint Just on Mr. Moore's pompous, new-age, sensitive ass.
    My only consolation is that Moore had to slog through Sade's interminable "friggings" and "embuggerings".

My point is that things are really bad when even de Sade is being interpreted from a "romantic" point of view.

cthulhu's slave:
    They serve a purpose when you run out of human sacrifices for the Elder Gods.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As a general rule, a vibrator or one's hand is better. Sometimes you stumble across someone nice and worth maintaining a romantic relationship with, but even then "romance" takes a back seat to other, more interesting facets of the relationship.

Even better, there are NO love stories in H.P.L's fiction. None. Not one.

12. fredx Banned Banned

Xev said:
    "Did Rosa Parks 'force her preferences' on everyone else?"

Xev understands politics. Thats politics, like it or lump it seargentlard.

Xev said:
    "...but even then "romance" takes a back seat to other, more interesting facets of the relationship."

woah, I am going to stay away from this, far away.

Xev said:
    "Even better, there are NO love stories in H.P.L's fiction. None. Not one."

Sometimes the romance is below the surface.

Oh by the way, that was a nice piece of writing Xev.

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Preferences anyone?

Rosa Parks didn't force her preferences on anyone else...She just wanted a fucking seat. I guess in that light you also want your "seat" of sanity out of this marketed love. Have faith, love isn't that bad, it's only made bad by the fat cats who cater to the foolish group who buy this. Also i am appaled at you Xev. Here you don't waste a second to tell someone to shut up but at your job you seem to listen to their dribble...tell them also to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Fredx - I don't have to lump it....no one should.

14. fredx Banned Banned

Xev said:
    "Thus I propose a boycott of any and every product that is sold using 'love' as a gimmick."

and,

"I say we should petition the FCC to regulate 'love songs' so that a given radio station can play only two per hour."

I agree, both of these things sound like good ideas.

(thank you seargentlard for abstracting those two points from the original text)

Xev, you should expand on both of these lines, maybe for a paper or something in college.

15. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

true, that whole bit on bf/gf being good sacrafice (fuck propper english!).
    and i must argue that a few of his stories DID have romantic undertones.
    a horror in dunwich is a good example. if homosexual love for a giant squid-elaphont creature counts. or luv of a god. (fuck spelling!).
    yes, hands work fine. but somtimes they will never replace the reall thing.

16. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

Who cares its just love songs ...Are they so hard too ignore? just ignore it if you dont like it.

I have too ignore bullshit rap everyday how do you think i feel

I rather listen too love songs then
    yo yo yo im a stupid hoe

17. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

i generally hate all music w/ vocals. i prefer techy muzak.
    if it does have lyrics i prefer the gothic "im gonna rape a little girl and kill my momma then blow up the school! I need cash for the explosives so il rob a bank! i need to getta gun to rob the bank so il go steal one!" type stuff.
    or tottal pounding slamming throbbing drumb music. kinda sounds like an orgasm to me.

18. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

It took me years to find good love songs. I didn't think that they existed. But I have, and I cherish them much.

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

sargentlard:
    Yes, I do. I'd like a culture that makes a bit of sense and isn't completely inane, hence I occasionally criticise it.
    I'd suggest that you look up "burlesque" in a dictionary. My suggestions aren't meant to be taken literally, any more than I will actually kill someone for annoying me.

Quote where I said "love is bad"? I'm not entirely serious in this post - I never am serious and I regard being overly serious as a sin.

I find ignoring them to be effective.

That's true.

A dead, somewhat rotten corpse? Agreed, irreplacable.

PacingYourName:
    1: Extract the stick from your anus.
    2: Realize that what I say is not necessarily what I do.
    3: Get a fucking sense of humour you dry fool.

Xenu:
    I like Nine Inch Nails' "We're in this together". A few others. Sadist has a very nice song "Dogs Sled Man":

"I want to live through your eyes
    To listen to your silence"

20. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

PacingYourName:
    1 Kills people with the broom from his anus
    2Realizes that xev does exactly what she says ALWAYS
    3Telling me I need a sense of humor?.... hahaha I see you have one too

21. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

"I'd like a culture that makes a bit of sense and isn't completely inane, hence I occasionally criticise it."

the only remedy for that is to move to someplace better. there are so many good places to go.

22. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

sure a corpse is nuthing like even the best of palms...
    i meant more along the lines of - deleted for legal perposes-.

yah im a pervert.

23. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Hah. I couldn't agree more. My ex- gf dumped me because I wasn't emotional enough or some rubbish like that. I really loathe people who say *in that annoying calm voice*; 'it's ok to cry, it keeps you in touch with your emotions.' Emotional, mushy movies, songs etc. are made, and they thrive because there are people to watch them/listen to them. The majority of people in the world are lame brained..... this crap caters to them. At one point when I was 11 I thought i was a bit weird, because i liked gory films where people got impaled, butchered, eaten etc. and i hated mushy movies, while all my friends liked it the other way round. Yes, what you said couldn't be truer.

And so far as i know HPL never wrote any romantic stuff. I'm reading 'The Shadow over Innsmouth'. It's bloody amazing.