Which company is your cellular carrier?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jerrek, Jun 20, 2003.

?

Which cell phone provider do you use?

1. AT&T (Rogers AT&T in Canada)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sprint PCS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MCI Cellular

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. GTE Mobilenet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bell Atlantic, Bell South, Pacific Bell, Verizon, or other baby bell

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  6. Cingular

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. Telus Mobility

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fido

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Nextel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other / I don't own a cell phone

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

If you own a cell phone, which company is your carrier? I'm in the telecommunications industry and this stuff fascinates me.

Note: I don't know European carriers, so I'm not going to bother about them.

I am with Fido. 250 weekday minutes and 1,000 evenings and weekend minutes for US$20 a month. Long distance is 10¢ a minute.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. siledre Registered Senior Member

I hate phones

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

Verizon
    $35/month
    300 day, unlimited nights/weekends
    free mobile-to-mobile
    free text messaging
    free long distance
    no roaming charges

verizon is the only carrier that actually works in westchester. you can barely get a signal with at&t. i'll probably switch to cingular at the end of the month if they work up there.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nosmo_king Registered Member

ATT and IMO they suck....

Bad telephones, have had mine replaced 4 times and they keep sending me rebuild POS that only work for a couple of months then the board goes haywire. They say free replacement, but you need to pay S&H charge....

Coverage sucks.. lots of drop offs, low signal strength, etc (perhaps related to bad phones) but this is chicago and I don't think I should have cell drop off around the city. Also get lots of "extended area" and "roam" within 5 miles of my home.. well within my supposed home coverage area (1/2 mile from the store where I bought the plan)

poor service at the stores.. "you need to call our customer service" crap.... and I do and wait and wait and wait on hold forever.... What the hell are the stores there for if they can't do customer service as well ? after all its all on the computer anyway. -- guess that explains why the store is always empty.

Have family plan, but cost and air time is about the same for any of them, and no rollover with my plan.

I will definately drop ATT when my 2-year plan expires this year. Will consider either Nextel, or verizon in my area.

IMO ATT SUCKS !!!!!!

8. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

cingular

just got my new T720 (motorola) monday... woohoo its nifty.. not the MOST practical.. but... its cute.. and it get polyphonic ringtones (mine is Bittersweet symphony by the verve), and it has voice recog.. i also hae internet free for three months.
    I pay $39/month +tax and i get 600 rollover anytime minutes and 5000 night a weekend minutes.
    reception is decent.. better than many...
    all in all.. im happy with it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2003
  9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

TMobile. Jerrek, you have a nice plan... nice... *drools* Is it free among members? I dont know anyone who has it... There must be a catch.. is it a new company?

10. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply fo Jerrek

Which cell phone provider do you use?

I have another poll. What can one post to make oneself appear to be an FBI special agent? Oh, you beat me to it.

11. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

O2 which used to be BT Cellnet I believe. It's Pay As You go and I haven't "gone" in roughly four months. Show's how much I use my phone, stupid piece of junk.

12. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

It is a Canadian company. http://www.fido.ca/

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

telstra

14. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

Mine is Cingular wireless.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Radiolinja

how much does it cost? I don't know...my last bill was for 3 months and it was about 60€. With several long calls to abroad.

phone: Nokia 3510i

16. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Bell, something like
    $15/mo 30 miutes a month, I only use it to ask my parents for a ride home or something ike that, until I get my full driver's liscence

17. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Do you mean Network??

18. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Carrier is the correct term. Network can mean a lot of other things.

I'm surprised there aren't any Sprint folks out there.

19. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

NEXTEL: 1000 daytime, unlimited nights and weekends, Free longdistance, unlimited two way direct connect minutes. $64.99 a month. The great part, the 2 way walkie-talkie feature is going nationwide either soon or it already has. I love the service and phone. Helps with the job im in.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

We don't use the term carrier over here, except for pigeons and certain big ships. Network would be ok. As always these things are culturally defined and there is no 'right' way.

21. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

You don't use that term because you don't speak English. In English, carrier has a number of definitions, including a telecommunications company. It isn't culturally defined. And carrier is the correct IT name.

22. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I'm gonna have to argue that it may be culturally defined. It's marketed as a network over here and I'm assuming that it's called networks throughout Europe.
    I have never heard anyone, including people in the mobile phone business, ever say Carrier unless they were talking about boats or diseases. Unless proven wrong I will call it a network. In fact, I'll have to call it network as, as I said, that's what it's called here.

Anyway, got some credit for me phone, stupid piece of junk no more...what's peoples score on Space Impact?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Let me correct you (once more): I use that term, because I speak English. I just don't happen to live in North America.

We have operators and networks.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2003