Life, or not life??

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mucker, Jun 17, 2003.

?

Life?

1. I would choose to have a life

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. I would choose to not have a life

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Life, or no life??

I have been in this dilemma for quite some time now and I was just wondering which one YOU would choose??!

If you had to choose between having a life, or not having one.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elea Registered Member

What like living or not living; or being cool or not.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

No like either having a life, or not having one.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

What like living or not living; or being cool or not.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by "having a life"?
    kinda subjective, no?
    Maybe you should clarify.

9. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Ohh another sad soul..

Really boo ho..

I will try to be insensitive as possible.

If you have recently lost a loved one then don't read on. Just move on.

The majority of us want life.

If you feel you don't value life you are mentally ill. You should go ask a trained professional the same question and listen to his advice.

Many people have been down a similar road. Yet now they have memories of great times and the maturity of experience. Others are distant memories in family members (how sad).

The older you will slap the young you saying.. What are you thinking.

Any way if you don't want to live there are many high risk sports you can try. You can really pull the chicks base jumping ( Personally I don't have the balls, I want life).

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

What the fuck is the point of this question?

11. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

Re: Life, or no life??

Expand on it please.

12. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

if u ment it literally as in live or die i choose live, so that i may cause others to die.

if you ment it as to be kool, or have a social life, i choose no. we creepy quite onse always have the last lagh.

13. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

To paraphrase Patrick Henry (in jest of course)...

"...I know not what course others may take...
    ...But as for me... ...Give me Liberty ...
    ...Give me DEATH!"

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

To hijack the thread...

Well it's a choice we make every second of our lives. Should I keep breathing? Or should I plunge this knife into my heart?

There are a million ways to kill yourself in this world, a million opportunities to throw it all away. I have convinced myself, in a way, that to not be, to be nothing, as an old Sophocles quote I had stated, is best of all (to paraphrase). During life we are hailed by joys and sorrows, some get more of one than of the other, but those of us that live live the same reality. We humans are here, confined beneath our skulls, left to spend our whole lives attempting to rationalize. Attempting to separate ourselves from what we consider beneath us, and attempting to near ourselves to what we consider above us. Life is really a tangled web of desire, sometimes of desire's achievement, and sometimes of its failure.

And yet, those that have never existed, that are free to be nothing, free to be what is perfect--to be nothing, never go about all of this. It is an existence, or nonexistence, that is hard to really comprehend but harder still to truly desire, as I wish that I could.

Because, the argument I make is that heaven would get boring and monotonous after a few million years. Hell would get boring and monotonous after a few million years. Sure, it'd be nice for awhile, but you'd inexorably proceed to lose it, to descend into real agony, to be alone and without help from anyone. The world would go on, but you, and others as old as you, would remain curled up in little balls, crying forever. Even hell becomes paradise. Even paradise becomes bleak.

What kind of a god would want this?

And so, ergo, the afterlife is nonexistence. While I am sure it will be a beautiful thing to behold, no matter how much I speak about it, and argue for it, I am still afraid of it. And I doubt that I shall ever shake this fear, and become as brave and zealous as fearless individuals tend to be.

After these scattered thoughts have been written, I bid you adieu.

15. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

The manner in which you describe Heaven and Hell is a result of the only conception a mortal, physical being could have of such "environs"...

We can only imagine the nature of existence without the inevitable influence on our perception imposed by the physical body.

An "afterlife" implies freedom from the needs of the body; from "earthly" desires...
    The concept of "boredom" might not apply merely because the concept "a few million years" would be irrelevant to an awareness which no longer measured "years" any more than "days" , "hours", "minutes"... Which no longer experienced time and existence as a progressing series of arbitrarily defined intervals.

16. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Are you asking, if we had a choice, would we prefer non-existance over existance?

If that's the case, I'd choose existance. Many things about life make me feel good and although I realize I wouldn't technically miss any of that if I didn't exist, I would rather exist and feel than be nothing. I'm not quite sure how to answer a hazy question

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

No I didn't man it like that! Doesn't matter, it's gone now.

18. siledre Registered Senior Member

uh, you people read way too much into what was being asked, here is an example, me sitting in front of my computer playing everquest is having no life to some people, now me getting out and enjoying the sunshine with freinds, that is considered having a life. I always love it when people overshoot a question.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

In that case I chose not to have a life at the moment.