Arrogance: Our National Sin? An Exploration into Morals.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fredx, Jun 17, 2003.

1. fredx Banned Banned

Being a reasonably patriotic American, I am concerned about some things. I like that America is the best. I can't hate. The USA is the best, but I am concerned about our national sin: namely arrogance.

It seems no one thinks they need to listen to anyone in our country. Everyone is too proud, like they know everything. But then when they don't make it in life, they complain.

Is there any reason I am so smart? One reason: I listen to everyone that speaks to me.

But people are too good to listen to others, because they are always trying to control people, which is arrogance itself because in the end you can't control anyone, everyone justs does what they want to do anyway.

What is to be done. Either we love ourselves too much like Narcissus or we are smug and arrogant, and vanity and pride are the two forms of stupidity.

I think that if we Americans just start listening instead of criticizing before they have even taken the point in, we will make long strides at pursuing truth, justice and the American way, hell, for the good of the whole world.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I for one have also felt this way for a long time. We as a nation are so involved with ourselves. We beleive that we are the top 1# nation,but i am afraid that if we still continue to beleive that then this, our arrogance, will ultimately be our down fall....a double edged sowrd if you care to call it.......mabye we will become the next Babylon(hope that is spelt correct), or the next roman empire set on cruise control to destruction.......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

OH GOD must control self here....

Look at it this way USA brought up people love themselves.....USA culture which is soaked in "individualistic" ideology supports love for self and in the teaching of this culture USA parents forget to teach the little bastards ...."give a fuck about somebody else you shit"..... Americans have been told to love themselves and appreciate themselves...(which is funny because Americans pop Prozack like candy).....

But in general nobody listens to anybody else....no one cares about anybody else.....i have yet to meet someone that doesn't think of themselves when doing anything and rightly they should..it's survival baby......survive.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fredx Banned Banned

thats it guyute, you are right on the money.

I think we must attempt to avoid our downfall.

"Mere survival is a mean end for a life." -Fredx

8. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

thats it guyute, you are right on the money.

I think we must attempt to avoid our downfall.- fredx

thanks fredx.....but im going to have to agree with the sarge.....it's survival baby......survive.- sargentlard

there is no way to turn a whole nation around(you can always hope i guess?)....it is survival of the fitest, and everyone is on there own.......good to hear from you agian sarge.

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Thank you...don't mind me...i am hostile right now..you can tell by high levels of swearing in my posts.

It's true you can't turn a whole nation around...one fucked up apple will ruin the whole lot of them and plague the bunch.

10. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

mabye im being to pessisimestic.....fredx, do you have any ideas(on how to help the nation) that might be able to convince me to think otherwise?

no prob sarge.....you know i love you deep down inside me

....j/k.......

11. Thaug Registered Senior Member

There is an American culture? We don't even really have a national language. I go to miami I speak spanish, then you can go to china town and speak chinese etc etc..

12. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Err... ok?

You speak of arrogance, yet you display it? Listen to you, "why am I so smart?"

Now, to which country should we listen? China? Human rights are sure flourishing there. What about Uganda? Same thing. Wait! Germany! But they're experiencing negative growth in the economy and double digit unemployment. Perhaps Canada? But they can't defend themselves from an armed toaster. Maybe France? Erm.. no.

The rest of the world is pretty much a pile of shit. Until they prove that they can do something right why exactly should one listen to them? Does the father ask the toddler advice on spending money? (Hint: candy, candy, candy!)

13. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

14. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

forget arrogence jerrek.....show us your feet

!!!!!!!!

15. Thaug Registered Senior Member

What if your patriotic because of your liberty?

16. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

17. Thaug Registered Senior Member

You can't quantify those sort of things and compare them. telecommunication =! unemployment. So basically human development report is good for nothing really.

18. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

yes you can! and they did. geez man.

19. Thaug Registered Senior Member

Ok you can but it will be worthless and only for one thing, fullfiling an agenda. You can also say 5 gallons * 11 vynal seats = 55 happy meals i guess. Did they even take immigration into account?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  20. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for.

21. NeoBeetnik38 Registered Senior Member

Not a very original point, is it. I want solutions!

I mean........this is basicly a complaint.

I say we be positive! Figure out when we're right, and when we should stand aside!

Find a middle ground between hating your country and being a nationalist butthead!

I'm gonna go eat prozak

:m:

22. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I am completely opposed to arrogance unless you really are the best, in which case arrogance should be encouraged.

23. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Why to encourage it? Will it help to even perform better?