Best Story Ever Told

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Pollux V, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

What is the greatest story ever told? To you? It can be anything, from the bible to a joke your grandfather told you when you were little. Whatever.

For me, I think the story would be of human evolution. From arboreal, three foot high Lucies to spacefaring Captain Kirks, I find the evolution of our species to be more interesting and intriguing than anything else I've ever learned about before. While H. Sapiens are, at best, merely a run-on sentence in the Encyclopedia Galactica, each of us is, for the moment, a wielder of the most complex piece of machinery known in the universe: the Mind. The Brain. Nothing more intricate has ever been constructed by anything (as far as we know). This is likely to change, given time, however for the moment we are the zenith.

The steps that contributed to this incredible thing are the only thing more interesting than the thing itself. If writing doesn't work out then I think I'll either be an Anthropologist or a Neurologist, or at the very least a wannabe of either. Or both:bugeye: What intrigues me the most is the element of chance involved in our evolution, how a meteor or a drought or a dearth of food could have wiped all of us out when our species was in its earlier stages, and then, how it didn't. How we made it to where we are now.

Previously, the extinction of other human species has been attributed to, ironically, an inability to evolve. To change. The technology of Neanderthals, for example, remained the same for the entire period of their existence, never going beyond simple tools for 150,000 years. In half that time we landed on the moon, and our ability to change is only accelerating. This may lead to our downfall, that perhaps our amazing leaps and bounds will have gone too far to allow as to be fit enough to survive.

Or maybe we haven't changed, and only think that we have. This may be hard for me to get across, but a Neanderthal may have thought, and in fact, probably did think himself and his technology the most advanced in the world, even as they coexisted with their superiors, who were our ancestors, until 20,000 years ago. Or maybe he didn't care. But in any case, we may be subject to the same problem, that a third party even greater in intelligence than our own would say to themselves "yes, those primitive hoo-mans think that they have changed, that they are evolving. But they are WRONG."

So, I guess the purpose of this thread is to declare what YOU feel is the greatest story, and then to discuss your thoughts relating to it, as I have. Hopefully this hasn't been too scattered

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

You don't really leave any room for other stories as any other story of man is essentially part of his evolution.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The story of how i was born...how the moon shined blood red under ever watchful gaze of the powers that be. How the wicked danced in their wickedness, how the angels parted with their wings for the kiss of the devil. How the undead felt the rise of Gaia within their heartless bones. How the doctor went WTF!!!!! Damn this baby is the finest mutha..."shut yo mouth".

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Greatest story, says Pollux

like, dude....c'mon. Just one? You mean I don't get to tell you the one about why I don't wear undies?

Kidding

The story about the traveler in the desert surprised by a wild megabeast is an old one.

Seeking to save himself from the monster, he finds a well and then jumps in it but there's no water in it.
    But at the bottom of this well he sees this monstrous dragon with its mouth open waiting to devour him. So this man, not daring to go out of this well lest the beast outside should grab him and daring less to jump all the way to the bottom lest the hungry dragon gulp him whole, he clings to the branches of a wild bush growing out of cracks in the well.

He feels his hands weaken and his knuckles are sore, and behold he sees two mice, one white one black, scurrying round the small bush he's clinging to and they're quietly nibbling off the roots.

The poor man sees this and immediately it dawns on him that inevitably he will perish, that with time he's going to face death.
    But as he looks about him he notices that on the wild leaves of this bush are small drops of honey and these he reaches with his tounge however ways he could and licks them off with rapture. This he will do despite it all until the bough breaks.

.....and so is the story of man. That at both ends is ugly hostility, and being the only animal on earth burdened with death's uncertainties we live our lives like martyrs and cling to small wildbushes licking sweet honey til death comes.

( I think its wonderful that we're thinking mammals, but its a bit sad also)

8. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

LMAO!!
    You see this cat Sarge is a bad mother--
    (Shut your mouth)
    But I'm talkin' about Sarge
    (Then we can dig it)

He's an insecure man
    but get him some :m:
    And you got one cool mother--
    (Shut your mouth)

Sarge
    (Right On)

9. plasticwingsmelting Banned Banned

that "shut yo mouth" thing is tired.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Jus gimme the light
    and pass the dro
    Bust another bottle of moe:m:

Yeah yeah fountainhead

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Damn it man, this is going to be the third time I've asked this but-

HEY SARGE: ever seen 'Perfect Strangers?"

12. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Gal dem in a me sight
    and I gots know
    Which one is gonna catch my flow
    Causle i'm in a the vibes
    and i got my dough
    Bust another botte of moe
    Gurl dem lookin hype
    and i gots to know
    :m:

Sarge mi man. rolls a phat one and passes to sarge:
    Do di honours bway.
    :m:

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

No..why..should i have...i might have and forgotten...hold one let me check...

OK which one...four different ones seem to have surfaced up????

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

You know..........late 80's, cousin Larry, cousin Balki and Mr. Gorpley, worked for a newspaper. From Meepos to Chicago.............ring a bell?

Well, shitty. So this means you won't get my saying you remind me of a fat Balki.

I've been dying to say that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

That metaphor...reminds me of another one, I forget its exact title. Anyhoo, a man thinks that he has invented a flying machine, say, during the early medieval epoch. He takes his machine, a primitive ornithopter, and hops off a cliff with it. Early on, it begins to work, and he thinks that he is flying, but then, slowly he falls, and it dawns on him that he is in trouble. He pedals harder but it makes no difference, eventually crashing into the ground.

It's supposed to symbolize human civilization, however not the enter human species or its entire history. There's about eighty thousand years of primitive hunter-gatherer society behind us. In the beginning of civilization, during the Agrarian revolution, things seemed to be working. Civilization was a good thing. Then it degenerated, through the many thousands of years, until now, when we're just about to smash into the ground. We're pedalling as hard as we can.

16. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean!

Sorry if this is interupting the thread, but I find this interesting because I too have heard this story (

), and it is quite fascinating. Just quickly, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on how the two sexes came about (mitosis/myosis:'cell division') would presumably be possible, but I find this highly unlikely.

Also, I was wondering if monkeys, at least, also had umbilical cords, the same as humans, and if not, do any other animals? Sorry to post this, I know it's not very nice, but it could provide some answers, and it is interesting (to me anyway).

17. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Mucker,

Sorry, mon I have no idea. Ask Wellcookedfetus, I think he's a biologist or something and he's pretty cool (at least when he's stoned

) so he should be willing to answe em for yeh'.

18. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

What is this 'shut yo mouth' thing??

Wellcookedfoetus?? *looks to wellcookedfoetus*

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  19. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

CHRIST PEOPLE

are you that bolted down in your caves that you've never heard a story, let alone a good one? Even hermits have stories.

ok, screw it, post a joke or something. This thread's dying and...... I.......DON'T..........WANT...........IT..........TOO!!

C'mon folks one two one two one two one two one two one two let's get those juices flowing, I'm up for a yarn.

20. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

There are load of good stories: Dune, Star Wars, Evolution, Religious texts... etc. I know loads, but it would take too long for me to post them here. I wouldn't say I have a favorite one.

21. Xev Registered Senior Member

The one about the sultry, aggressive, neglected housewife and the shy, muscular, gorgeous boy who comes over to clean her pool...

22. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Says Pollux

If you're referring to my little ditty about the poor man sucking honey before the bough breaks, im not sure you quite get what im saying.

It symbolizes man's stance in life knowing the cold chill of the universe, the indifference of providence, the haunting awareness of his own death and his taking of wine, women, and song anyway despite it.

Sucking at the honey is like scoffing at pranksters letting them know that you know a joke's being played and don't care either way.

23. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

I have heard many variations of this. I don't know why I like it. I guess it just speaks to me.

"Three men were gathered around a table playing Fan-tan. An angel descended down to the men to say "The world will end tommorrow, you should prepare now."
    The first man jumped from his chair and said,"I'm going to Mexico...getting two bottles of mescal and three women...and spending my last moments on Earth partying."

The second man jumped from his chair and said,"There is so much I have not asked forgiveness for. I'm going to the church to pray, for I must prepare my place in heaven."

The angel turned to the third man and asked, "What are you going to do?"

The third man looked back at his cards and said,"I will finish the game."

In some versions the first two guys do different things. One runs to his family, the second went to sleep and cover his head so he won't know when it comes.
    I'm not sure how the original goes (if there is one I woud love to get it from somebody).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003