chimps to robots

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by gurglingmonkey, Jun 5, 2003.

1. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

I've been reading Isaac Asimov for a return to the classics, and he really got me thinking. Let's say, artificially intelligent robots are built with programmed laws that protect mankind (they can't conquer and subjugate us). Now, if we create laws in the robots that protect us, should we therefore have to give chimps the same rights? If the robots have a duty to protect and aid and share with us, should we not treat chimps like the best of pets? I'm not some kind of animal activist, I just thought it was an interesting thought.
    Plus, if we isolated chimps on a terraformed planet, would they evolve into a Bigfoot type interspecies creature? And eventually into humans? And into robots?

Gurglo

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

Then, with well-programmed AI robots under our control, what would happen if we encountered aliens? Especially if the aliens didn't have robots. We could just order the robots to kill them, if we wanted to. The aliens would stop being invaders, if that is how they approached us. It could end peacefully, or with total destruction of their race. Plus, if they were invaders that depended on having conquered other species and use the resources of their planets to move to another planets and conquer that (like a wildfire, or virus) then they might become beggars, asking for resources because they cannot take it from us.
    My fave version of aliens is the pentaped spider-like creature with two mouths and each mouth speaks one syllable at a time, switching sides always. It isn't origional, that alien, I got it from Robert J. Sawyer. Good writer, by the way.

Gurglo

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

Well, I guess this is just one big extrapolation of ideas on my part. Probably because it was a stupid, or too complex an idea to have any relevance. Whatever.
    So, how bout some complaints about ads? I love complaining about ads. For instance, the Pacifica is going to change the automobile LANDscape. What is up with that? And that Old Navy ad! Why are these people so freakin' happy about buying clothes? Jeez, if you get giddy off buying a shirt, you should be shot. I mean, c'mon. And that's why I'm not a world leader.
    I hate people who lie even when it's obvious to everyone they're lying. If you're tricking and manipulating people with lies, then there's some underlying intelligence, if no morals. But lying for no reason and insisting even after it's been proved a lie, is just stupid! There's my rant.

Gurglo

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

This thread is wack, yo.

8. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

You said it, Walker.
    I've given up on the topic, post whatever ideas you don't want in your head anymore.

Gurglo

9. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Okay...MANDY MOORE NAKED!

it didn't work.