Need help in deciding coursework more geared towards nanotechnology

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Koren, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koren Registered Member

Hello:

I've been trying to decide on a specified area of study to focus on as I progress through my undergraduate coursework (very interested in nanotechnology, in the general sense). However, my university doesn't offer any type of degree that is comprised mostly of nanotechnology courses. So I thought it had to be a tie between materials/metallurical and optical engineering. Would anyone happen to know what employers/fellow researchers would be looking for course-wise in a graduate? Thx.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

You're not going to find a degree for nanotechnology. They don't exist (if they do somewhere, they shouldn't.) Undergraduate is meant to expand your mind and give you the opporunity to learn about a variety of subjects (ie general education requirements). The purpose is also to give you a STRONG backbone in whatever field you decide to go into. You can't simply go into nanotech. You must have chemistry, physics, particle physics, engineering, biology, computer science. All of these provide just the most basic understanding of nanotech. In your graduate years (which if you want to work in nanotech you had BETTER be planning on going for) you can become more focused. Your backbone will be strong and you can start to delve into more pure research areas.

The fact is... pick a major. It won't matter... its when you go for graduate degree it will matter. Do you best, get the highest GPA and GRE scores you can and go to a high profile grad school (well maybe not just high profile...one know for its academic prowess rather) and youll be on your way to nanotech. My GUESS is that you'll never make it. Most don't (notice...how many nanotechnologists do you know?). Nanotechnology is more research that implemetation right now. Personally, I love research, but most people don't. They want to make little things that move and do stuff. Instead for the next 4-5 years you'll be mixing chemicals and running thousands of computer simulations. Be sure its what you want.

-AntonK

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Koren Registered Member

Very helpful, thanks AntonK

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

No problem.

-AntonK

8. NanoTec Registered Senior Member

As far as nanotechnology in a degree title I have only casually heard that someone received it tacked onto their graduate degree from MIT. The title is not important. What will be is to show that you have had experience with the subject, then get your foot in the door to apply for summer work at better lab. Do not expect to do anything useful, expect to do very little but do it well. Their own faculty recommending you for admission can reportedly move mountains.

As far as subjects: (my own humble opinions)
    Condensed matter: A good place to start, it will tell you about the bulk properties of materials and give you the basic understanding of how current semiconductor devices work. This is the technology you are trying to surpass its formulations are inherently limited by the assumption of bulk material.
    Organic chemistry: This is how you will build the devices; offering much greater precision in end products than any mechanical tool for assembly.

You must be your most severe critic. If your opponents can criticize your findings its already too late to do anything about them. Reinforce your work with math and experiment.

And as AntonK eluded to always have a backup plan, do not make this your only opportunity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.