Research funded by drug companies is 'biased'

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by river-wind, May 30, 2003.

1. river-wind Valued Senior Member

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993781

well, at least now when I say this, I have supportive evidence more than just "I'm telling you, I've seen it happen"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This really stinks, but I honestly can't think of a way to fix it. If you get a grant from a company, and come back with horrible results for their product, do you think that the company will give you another grant?

Maybe we need some sort of international scientific body which is self funded and respected which can do independant testing of new drugs in place of company funded research.....oh, wait, we once had that, didn't we? It was called academia. What happened to that, again?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i belive that the CSIRO does goverment testing for the medical board here

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Abnak Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

yeah, I know, I was stating that even academic research institutions are no longer independant, and often rely solely on corperate funding. They fall under the same problem mentioned in the article. Thanks for the additional info, I had not heard of two of them...very informative!

CSIRO appears to be an Australian based research group. are they government funded? I couldn't find info on the group themselves, but more so on the projects they are involved with. thanks for the info.

edit: or is this them? a mining company?
    http://www.dem.csiro.au/

Last edited: May 30, 2003