Poetry you rascist bastards....does it feed the idiot????

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sargentlard, May 24, 2003.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ok so Whitewolf presented this interesting idea to me...(we converse on AIM because wolf seeks info from my far superior intelligence

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). Wolf showed me a rather nice quote relating to language and from there on wolf presented this idea that Poetry translated into another language sounds bad and childish unless the translator take liberty with it. However, if one sees poetry translated in it's true form they might feel superior seeing as how other nations literature is rather stupid - leading to ethnocentric feelings and feeding, somewhat, the rasicm of that reader...if that reader has any in the first place. Makes sense?

Makes sense yet?...it is a interesting premise...does language also feed the one's sense of superiority??? i would think so.

I think this is one of many things that feeds racism.

So what do you think...peotry - one of the tool of higher ignorance or not for the already idotic????

BTW Whitewolf feel free to put in your words if i have wronged you

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

Are you suggesting that poetry would be translated word for word? Of course it would sound ridiculous. To correctly translate a piece, one would have to translate the meaning. It would never have the same effect though. It could never be redone accurately.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

As a matter of fact, the whole discussion was rather more complex and a little wider. It started out with this quote: "Language is the link of love, the mother of unity, the father of civic virtues, the guardian of the state..." (Mikalojus Dauksa)
    We then started talking ab the meaning of language; it was established that actions speak for themselves, while words may act like deeds, in some cases. Another interesting idea, first expressed in Cubist art, was recollected; Cubists included parts of words and numbers in their art work, asserting abstraction of letters and numbers. This meant that letters and numbers on their own are meaningless, and it is us who give these things their meanings. The same may be applied to whole words.
    The meaning of language, in the broadest sense of the expression, was the prime interest.
    Nothing here is set in stone, whoever has a thought on the subject is more than welcome to contribute.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chupachups Registered Member

well of coarse whitewolf would say that, after all, the wolf is an eternal artist and poet, and always seeks deeper meaning. as for me, i think most of the times is beneficial not to go so deep into what people are trying to say or express, and just see a creation for what it is, or at least what it makes u feel or think.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Thank you...finally someone gets it. One doesn't always have to delve deep into the heart of darkness to see the light...sometimes you just have to move the curtains out of the way