Sex antidepressant?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by step314, May 22, 2003.

1. step314 Registered Senior Member

I thought it was interesting the publicity this guy got for his study, http://www.salon.com/sex/feature/2002/06/19/semen/index.html , which to my mind proves nothing. People can do a survey about something, and no matter how little the conclusion follows from the data, just because there is data, people will think it scientific. I've been arguing for years all over the internet using well-reasoned ideas why it is reasonable to believe sodomy addictive, and this guy does one irrelevant survey trying to show that semen contains anti-depressants, and voila, he gets instant publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if he got some of his ideas from my anti-sodomy webpage, which got over 4500 hits before AOL stopped the counter service. Indeed, I mentioned there (starting about 1996) some obscure old journal article that mentioned PGE1 is a likely anti-depressant, and apparently he mentions the same claim. It might seem kind of funny, but I hope he gets publicity and acclaim, it might make people take my (more plausible) ideas seriously.

Semen in sex anti-depressant or addictive to females! Like non-monotreme mammals evolved to have vaginas for no reason (reptiles, monotremes, and birds have a cloaca, which does double duty for reproduction and absorbing products of digestion--their urine is mixed in with their feces, which otherwise would be an advantage as it allows urine to be dry, which conserves water)!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

I don't know if semen is an antidepressant, but I know that human blood is. That's why homosexuals so often get together to drink the blood of heterosexuals before engaging in lewd acts of debauchery. Given I’ve never seen or heard of an example of this happening, and there is evidence and observations which suggest that this would be very much against the morals and tastes of most gay men, but still I believe that it’s scientifically provable that it does indeed happen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

I also hear that sodomites controll the banks, steal jobs from hard working americans, rape white women, wont give a guy a chance, are a bunch of commie pinkos, and are sissys.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

And on another note why exactly isn't this thread in human sicence, or whatever. Where is the moral implication in this thread?

8. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Yeah, that study has a number of confounds in it.

9. weebee Registered Senior Member

As the article goes on to say,

"This is the kind of junk science that smears the name of honest science,"

Dr. Ira Sharlip, a urologist in San Francisco and president of the Sexual Medicine Society of North America

The study should be thrown out for not taking into account why women choice their type of contraception, and the effect of different types of pill. . . .

10. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

I don't think that was the case. When I read the report I got a differnet impression: 'A researcher says male ejaculate may act as an antidepressant -- but other scientists aren't swallowing his theory': 'my boss/editor has handed me this story but I think it's a pile of crap.'

11. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

On another note , Freud was known to treat hysterical females with vibratortherapy. Apparently it was a goldmine.

Sex, the cause and the solution for all headaches...