Blunders of Psychology!!!!!

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sargentlard, May 22, 2003.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I wanted to list some of the most failed and outrageous concepts in Psychology. Tell me what you think about them and post your opinion and do feel free to add to this list what you think were some blunders in Psychology. Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Drapetomania - Biased and racist induced concept to keep slaves down...what the hell were they thinking????

Pherenology - When rich, aristocrats hung on to this idea, it made this concept popular in the late 19th century even though modern Psychology has completely blown it out of the water.

Penis envy theory (Freud) - While the man be a huge influence in Psychology with his Psychodynamic school of thought he messed up with this one, though some may agree with it.....tell me what you think of it.

So add more ideas and theories that you believe were faliures and too outlandish t oeven take flight in the first place in the field of Psychology and comment on this if you wish.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

you wanna book?

labotomies - take a ice pick, poke it up through your nose, or at the edge of your eye and into your brain, then swirl it around, see what happens. bright!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

hey penis envy isnt that far off from truth! i tell from personal experience (will tell no more for fear of exposing gender

)
    mmm how ab aristocracy having blue blood
    and drilling holes in peoples heads
    and thinking that mentally ill are possessed
    oh yes, how ab christians' (current) belief in energy vampires etc?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Isn't that more of a religious based belief..not really a concept presented in Psychology or a faulty theory presented in Psychology

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

sarge specially 4 u:
    Penis envy: girls try to deal with their "inferiority", they wish they had penis
    (http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/freud.htm) dont say silly things on aim, post them here... sarge doesnt really know whats penis envy!!!!hahaha!

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

First of all the link doesn't really help with anything concerning here. Just because it says on that site doesn't make it any more valid. Now if you would actually post a real argument for it i would consider your point...thank you

10. wrmgrl Registered Senior Member

Um, I'm pround to admit I'm female, and i have absolutely no penis envy. Why would you want one of those things? I think its like saying men have uterus envy, it's really just an inconvenience.
    Actually, there is physiological validity in this one. See aristocrats had very thin skin (from all the inbreeding) and since any sign of a tan meant you were a worker, they were frighteningly pale. Therefore, their veins (which are blue) were very prominent showing through their skin. Hence, they were blue bloods, because the veins carrying the blood looked blue.
    I have never heard of this belief, obviously all christians must not believe this, what does it mean?

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Well, pretty much anything from Freud. This should settle matters:

"I am actually not at all a man of science, not an observer, not an experimenter, not a thinker. I am by temperament nothing but a conquistador-an adventurer, if you want it translated-with all the curiosity, daring, and tenacity characteristic of a man of this sort" (Sigmund Freud, letter to Wilhelm Fliess, Feb. 1, 1900).

Some of Freud's concepts have philosophical value (thanatos and eros), but the man was not a scientist and his influence on the field of psychiatry has been downright pernicious.

You're obviously not familiar with the concept. It is not this cut and dry.

Freud believed that all humans were (somehow, he was never really very logical) fixated on the penis as a desired object. Because a woman does not have a penis, she wishes she did have one, and her anger at being so "castrated" (how one could feel deprived of that which is opposite to one's very identity is - unclear - the man was not "big" on rational argument) leads to her desire to have children.

Why is this, you ask? Well, nobody really knows. Is there any evidence that such a thing exists? Well, not really. Why has this idiotic subset of a pseudoscientific theory so managed to dominate our intellectual landscape?

Good question.

Psychoanalysis is a snipe hunt, the child of a pencil-dicked cokehead who was so lacking in scientific rigour as to make Lysensko look like Watson and Crick.

Its influence on psychiatry would have been as retarding as Aristotlean physics was on the development of astronomy, were it not for the fact that the conclusions of Freud are downright ludicrious.

Don't get me started on the Oedipus complex, and Masson's expose...

Freud is widely read because he's the shock rocker of the intelligensia (would to god, as Arendt observed, they were intelligent!). Other than this, and his ability to suck the metaphorical cock of those who would maintain our social order, he is useless as a thinker.

He had some interesting observations, but what the fuck, I'm buzzed and I feel like ragging on someone.

Last edited: May 23, 2003
  12. rayzinnz Registered Senior Member

Penis envy? They're goddam annoying at times.

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Xev i agree with what you stated. Freud's work is widely regarded as useful and if it has any true validation to it or not i do not know. It is amazing that his work amazes us so...hell a whole art movement looks to his psychodynamic school of thought for inspiration.

14. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

The wonderful thing ab Freud was that he was one of the first who called attention to childhood; during that period of time, people thought that childhood is just this stage that everyone has to get over, and that it really is meaningless.
    Pardon me w that blue blood stuff, i recently found out that (no reference, except that it was heard from my friend who's planning for med) aristocracy weren't receiving the needed nutrients, which did cause their blood to look blue-ish; also, incest plaid a part at that. I dont know how its possible though.
    Ab that energy vampire stuff: read the satanist bible, it is mentioned there (really an interesting piece of material!) I know some people, who were taken to a priest when they were little, and the parents were told that their children are energy vampires. And those "energy vampires" are proud of their status.
    (must say nothing ab penis, must keep mouth shut...)

15. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

(seems theres some confusion, sorry ab that. the link i stuck in was specially for sarge, after he told me that penis envy is ab girls hating boys for having penises. it was a way for me to escape a long, long flow of pointless little letters on aim... sorry ab that)

16. Abnak Registered Senior Member

drapetomania

Samuel Cartwright coined the term, "drapetomania" Many African slaves were diagnosed with this psychosis, defined as, "An irrestrainable propensity to run away." For slaves with drapetomania, it was reported, a simple procedure - amputation of the toes - was used."Negroes" were also the only people to contract "dyaesthesia aethiopica," which caused such pathology as, "pay[ing] no attention to property."

http://upalumni.org/medschool/appendices/appendix-43.html

-------------------------------

Many Psychologists / Psychiatrists are nothing more than agents of the state , utilizing manipulation as a means towards social control . Sound familiar ?

Diagnostic Criteria for conduct disorder :
    A repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others ...are violated .

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

whitewolf:
    I wasn't aware that LeVay was a published psychiatrist.

Well, since you can't rebut me on the idiotic, outdated concept you believe in;

Suck it.

*Edit*
    Abnak:
    Indeed. You know about their role upholding the Soviet regime, yes?

18. Abnak Registered Senior Member

Xev .

'have read a little from Solzhenitsyn and others about some of their experiences , but actually not alot about actual soviet psychiatric practices . Scary stuff , where craniologists consider some opinions and behaviors to be unacceptable .

They ( soviet style shrinks ) are actually suffering from a common mental disorder called , prevaricating sycophantism .

19. chupachups Registered Member

whitewolf

i think ur 100% right.
    o, and it's me.

20. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Want to shed any light on the reason for humble regards.....why is wolf right?

Last edited: May 25, 2003
  21. chupachups Registered Member

sarge

the reason i wrote that, is because i was w/ whitefolf when the reply was picked, i even looked for documentation on it, to reveal its validity. penis envy is just what it is, envy, or so according to freud, and i didn't feel like taking too much time to actally look for the original document, in which he himself explained it.

22. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Tell whitewolf i said wolfie is a panzy...

As for Penis Envy well Freud was a weird little dude...truly a amazing man however

23. Abnak Registered Senior Member

Sigmund Freud was a fabricator and a chronic cocaine user . He was a product of the late Victorian era , where he imagined everything revovled around an Oedipus complex .