What are the origins of red=bad and green=ok?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Elbereth, May 21, 2003.

1. Elbereth Registered Senior Member

most of the places I looked explain this relation of color/emotions by association and inheritance... and this must be it imo
    probably has something to do with our eyes' capacity of perception of different wavelenghts as well...

please, post your opinions on this subject, or links associated to it

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Red is a warm color, it is more intense; green is a cool color, more peaceful. Red is asociated with blood and fire, while green can be associated w grass, etc. in some places DONT WALK signs are red and WALK signs are white (even more peaceful than green in terms of feeling). all explanations i've heard of come close to this, dont remember the exact thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

But wolf why is red associated with emotion and feelings and green with peace etc. I thought it was always due to red being the color of blood and one blushes red when in love and one bleeds red color blood when in a fight or war...could that be it???? also green being the plants in the landscape and those landscapes being quite serene and peaceful. In the Indian flag the green stripe of color represents the peace and beauty of India. I guess the actual asthetics involved with these colors get involved in their representations.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I'd have to say red=blood and green=plants. When you see blood it's probably a bad thing, and if you see plants it's probably a good thing

Think of it: this idea, red=bad, green=good has probably been around with the human race since before we were H. Sapiens.

8. DouBTlessWonDer socially inferior to TV Registered Senior Member

But red can be passion, that's good right? You know that sterotypical beautiful woman in red. Also Valentine's day is all red and pink and we all get that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. And if you go on a date and your date gives you a red rose, that is a good sign.

Green is jealousy because if grass=green and "the grass is greener on the other side" you are obviously envious of the greener grass so thus concludes green=jealousy.

9. ProCop Valued Senior Member

Why not to see this in the terms of seasons? Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. ... Spring is associated with green Autumn with red (leaves). Spring is the symbol of renewal, abundance, etc. and Autumn of ending, bad time of cold and hunger.

10. river-wind Valued Senior Member

when exposed to the color red (warm colors), the human body increases heart rate, bloodflow, you get hungry (why do you think fast food signs are nearly all red&yellow?).

when exposed to green or blue (cool colors), you breath slower, blood flow slows, heart rate decreases (this is why hospitals are painted in "cool" colors. the calming effect on the body helps the healing proccess).

therefore, I'd bet that green=good and red=bad because, physiologically, in general seeing green makes you feel calmer (better), while red makes you more anxious (worse). A case of design following form.
    As for the cause, I'd say Pollux hit it on the head.

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  11. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

also, there is an artistic reason, has something to do with positions of green, red, and yellow on the color wheel; the eye finds the whole combination aesthetic.
    the green that symbolizes jealousy is usually a dirty green, not the one you see on street lights. as of red standing for passion: think of it this way, you're so passionate, you run across the road and get hit= not too good.

12. Redrover Registered Senior Member

I think it's even more primal than that. Red = Blood or Fire = Danger = Bad for prehistoric humans. Green = Plants or Vegetables = Food = Good for prehistoric humans.

13. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

When I think about it it probably comes from the natural world and it is still present today through natural selection. Wasps have yellow and black strips that warn of their danger, and those who were not aware of the danger wont have survived long. Even if they did survive, over the years the genes that do not recognise the danger will have dies out. Maybe if we all did originate in one country, then red could be caterpillars or frogs poisonous warning, and green could be grass.
    It could also be our physical spectrum recognition: there is a green-red wave shift I am aware of, though I don't know any more about this to make a compelling arguement.

14. weebee Registered Senior Member

Actually I think it comes from train signals, ‘The first coloured signals were boards, flags, or at night lanterns that were equipped with coloured roundels.
    Originally, the colours were usually white for clear, green for caution or slow, and red for stop. This usage inherited the danger that when a roundel was damaged, a stop or slow aspect would change to clear. Therefore, in 1948 in Germany the colours were changed from white-green-red to green-amber-red, so that e.g. the slow aspect was changed from green-green to green-amber.’ http://www.sh1.org/eisenbahn/sgh.htm
    It could also come from the fact that red paint is the cheapest, and thus might have been the most widely used (which is why American barns were painted red).
    This website gives a nice overview of them all, also showing just how socially/culturally constructed our sense of color is. http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/color/greens.html

15. thinker Registered Senior Member

Don't forget about stop lights: red=stop, green=go.

16. weebee Registered Senior Member

I was wondering about that, but I think the train system was brought into use and standardized before the automobile system. I do however remember being told that when the car was first ‘invented’ a person had to walk in front of the moving car with a flag to warn people, and who knows, the flag might have been red.

17. Addictive Registered Member

red/green

I always thought red was bad because it's assiocated with the devil and hell. You know fire, devil, everlasting torment..that sounds pretty bad 2 me. Guess blood fits in there 2 though.......but since when did plants mean peaceful?

18. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Re: red/green

scine we learned how to farm some few thousand years ago, I'd say. Ever spend time around a grouping of bonsai trees? certainly not a hyperactive expirience.

edit: nix that. I'd say plants=food in a dry desert like savannah environment, so green=peaceful because you, and a protohuman a million years ago, don't have to keep walking. you are alive another day. that's pretty peaceful.