Message Board Royalty

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Xmo1, May 20, 2003.

1. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

I've noticed while visiting message boards over the years that some people seem to dominate the boards at the exclusion of others. That is, they are rude, overbearing, intimidating, or whatever it takes to push people away. Why would they want to dominate a message board? Soon enough the board loses members and they are the only remaining members. How do they do it without getting kicked? They often become admins or moderators. What are some of the dynamics at work here?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Oh boy you should really check out Religion and World events and politics forum if you think it's bad here....as for the mods i find them to be fair and acuuretly decisive even though some have a huge problems with some of the mods here.

It's basically egos....they have to be right....they have to show the world that know better than some other schulk who is trying to get into the game. I won't name names but there are some bad cases here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

re: MBR

The ego is the problem solver. It leads people to act or not act based on what it has learned. So you're saying that other people on the board are rewarding the behavior, and eventually leave because of some unresolved cognitive dissonance?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Re: re: MBR

I thought the id was the problem solver...it balanced out the ego and the super ego..ego being the primitve bastard

. Bad behavior usually doesn't get rewarded here but it continues anyway...and believe me they don't leave because of dissonance..most leave because they can't tolerate the stupidity of these abuser users anymore and some just leave because of the childishness in some of the forums. While i think that's going a little far i wouldn't hesistate in saying that a lot of users here are rather hostile and downright unpleasent to discuss topics with but there are also many excellent ones.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

That's the problem...they are good at what they discuss so they blast off any other opinion out of the water. They rarely post in any other forum.

9. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

all too true, unfortunatley.

10. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

I wrote (and thought) for 45 minutes into this form. The post was lost because my userid timed out. Apparently. That's happened twice. Very annoying. Big question for me. ???

Don't have time to write it again now. I'll Get back tomorrow.

11. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

On reflection, I've seen this on many boards, in committees, and even social gatherings.

Conscience (part of the super-ego) develops under the influence of scorn and threats of punishment. Many people are from families where that type of influence is neglected or deemed crude. Rather, they tend toward the ego-ideal using material rewards and privileges, and through the use of such statements as "good boy" when a child behaves as expected or attains a goal. That would especially be true of children who do well in school. The lack or reduction of scorn and punishment therefore produces a person without a well developed conscience. That is, they believe their word is law (more or less).

At the same time, people learn most of what they know in school. It is a group experience, although in a world view a relatively small group who in total learn relatively little about the universe. Never-the-less, the person who believes that they know something by benefit of their accumulated rewards would have a tendency not to readily accept ideas from people outside the group. Further, new ideas may threaten those people (they may receive the proposal of a new idea as an attack on their personality), because after all their word is law and they don't have that word (the idea) in their vocabulary.

I call this the politics of improvement. The pecking order (at work, at school, or in social gatherings) determines who may have a valid idea (only applies to those people with under-developed consciences). To them, any idea even if it is a good one will not be acceptable. The key to promoting an idea is to let them think that it is their's, and forego any potential rewards for introducing it.

Yes, I've seen a lot of these people. Their success has taken them to management positions, and they are generally myopic and closed minded.

This is a major systemic problem in business. Why? The person who actually has the solution to a problem, or a better way to do things also has the vision to deploy that solution properly. I've seen it happen countless times where a million dollar idea is rendered virtually worthless because the moron who stole it didn't have the slightest idea how to apply it properly. Even if it's applied by committee, the committee doesn't get the gist of the idea because the originator isn't present to represent it's attending nuances. The other thing is that one good idea has a hundred would-be claimants. Usually the person who has the good idea gets left in the dust of the pecking order, along with the meat of the idea.

Sorry to extrapolate in public, but I want some permanent documentation on this for future use.

I may be totally off the mark, but so far it seems reasonable to me. So the other question is: Why do people allow them to get away with it? One possibility is that there is a select group (to the exclusion of all others) whom they recognize as having the authority to bring judgement against them. Those would be either elders or someone more prominent in the field of expertise. Even at that, they would probably be doing some second guessing as to who might be right or wrong.

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  12. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: re: MBR

Originally posted by sargentlard
    I thought the id was the problem solver...it balanced out the ego and the super ego..ego being the primitve bastard

No no no.... Ego balances...ego is self, I.

Id is animalistic.

Superego is conventions coming into play, and thought.

Haha...never thought I would see you completely wrong sargentlard.