lil' Russia in NYC

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Allahs_Mathematics, May 19, 2003.

1. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

So whats up with NYC's Russian community these days ? I didnt even know u had one , but then again NYC got about everything .

Whitewolf is Latvian and he's gonna tell us all about it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

LOL, you're funny!
    K, specially for you:
    right next to Coney Island area (everyone knows where that is right?) theres Brighton Beach, full of Russian stores and restaurants (pricing quite high), and a movietheater. That's called Little Russia by some Americans.
    Then there's Sheepshead Bay area, Kingshighway, Ave U, Bay Ridge, etc (all within a few blocks away from each other, large areas) and these are filled with Russians.
    Russians live in very tight communities (try a lot of people knew each other before they came here), have their own newspapers, etc. A lot of Russian singers have been coming here for quite a long time.
    Russian restaurants range in price from cheap to very prestige. check out firebirdrestaurant.com or smthg like that.
    any more q's?
    there are Russian communities in other places, like Queens. And Baltimore and other cities.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

I wonder what exactly the relations are of non-russians who speak russian (ex-sovyets) with the russians within these communities . Also are these communities christian orthodox , and how about jewish russians ? How old are these russian communities ? And if old enough , how did they function in the cold war ?

peace

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

Allahs_Mathmatics

The USA has the most diverse population of any country in the world. There are people of Russian ancestry here who came in the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

After the collapse of the Soviet union many new immigrants were allowed into this country. Most of the ones I have met speak very poor English and seem to live within their own communities.

In the Northwestern USA many of them are employed in the construction trades.

http://www.russiansouthflorida.com/russcomm.html

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Ab their religion: Recently, if someone wants to imigrate here from that part of the world they have to be Jewish; so many are Jewish. There are plenty of Orthodox ones. They arent separated and get along fairly well.
    I dont think these were around during Cold war; Russ who came here that long ago have well established lives and have assimilated fairly well. These didnt.
    It is true many who came here at the age of 40 and up didnt care for language; when my grandfather had to take the citizenship exams, he said hell take them in Russian, bc Russians are taking over the country LOL. The younger ones do know the language fairly well, bc they have to live here.