Will Russia ever rise again?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by nico, May 18, 2003.

1. nico Banned Banned

Russia a name that has always scared world powers, a nation twice the size of her closest neighbour i.e China, a massive industrial capacity, a massive labour force, a massive military, and a large amount of oil. But everytime I hear someone talk about Russia we all hear the same things, "it's loosing it's teeth".

The country under Putin has been growing at 5-4% growth rates, and the country seems to re-organzing after the hectic years after the fall of communism. One of Putin's first acts was to double spending on the military, also to increase the power of the secret services, the war in checnya has been questionable and Soviet nostagla has come back. Independant media outlets are closing under Putin.

With a push on the UN S.C lately courting major European nations is it that Russia is pushing more towards the EU? Or the increased trade in military hardware and co-operation in Central Asia making Russia push more towards China? Or is Russia on her own course. The question I pose is can Russia pose a threat again like she once did?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spookz Banned Banned

a threat? what kind of threat? the threat of communism? the threat of nuclear attack?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. WasiGermany Banned Banned

do you really believe russia was ever a real threat ,nico?
    i think it´s only story created by some politicans to keep the public in fear !
    probably this story was told on both sides ,no question...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Russia's far from threatening anything; the whole recent success story is on surface, under that there are so many problems (primarily inside that government). Among Russian people there's this funny-not-funny joke going round that the stronger the grip of Rus. leader the better off that country is. Unfortunately, from observation i have to say that's how it is, and may be Putin will be what saves that country. Gorbachev gave too much freedom, Yeltsin is a drunk.. Stalin is who many still adore.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

there's the vice speaker (dont remember his name) who generally yells out Rus's policies few months before they get announced to world; my favorite politician. too bad they dont show him on Am. tv

8. nico Banned Banned

The biggest problem Russia faces is the massive reduction in the populaction, I mean now her population is 145 million people only to be reduced to 55 million by 2075. That is not large enough to populate a country the size of Russia. I believe that over time if the population problem is not solved that Russia will break up. Putin and his succesors have to increase living standards for the normal Russian so they can start do the NASTY again and give incentives to have children (incentives have always been a problem in Russia).

9. spookz Banned Banned

nico

The biggest problem Russia faces is the massive reduction in the populaction, I mean now her population is 145 million people only to be reduced to 55 million by 2075. That is not large enough to populate a country the size of Russia.

please elaborate some more. are you say in order to avoid the "biggest problem" russia needs a higher population density? in order to what?

10. aghart Registered Senior Member

I'm staggered to think that a German could even think that. So the German Democratic Republic and the Inner German Border were in fact fantasy creations from our politicians, the Berlin wall was just somewhere to store some unwanted bricks. The invasion of Czechoslavakia in 1968 was just a military excerise.

11. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Why do you think that Russian's population would be reduced to roughly 1/3 of it's current number in 2075?

Family size is relatively constant, emmigration is high but really not that high, i'd guess.

12. nico Banned Banned

Worst of all, Russians are simply dying out: smoke-ridden, drink-soused lifestyles, together with unchecked infectious diseases, have created a demographic abyss. According to one gloomy prediction, the population could fall from 145m now to 55m by 2075.

From the economist.com

http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=698684

Very good article about the future of Russia, if any?

13. spookz Banned Banned

there were 3 trends pointed out in the article. you highlight the doom and gloom one. the economist being a respected journal is smart enough to leave shit open ended

Or might this new stability—just possibly—serve as the base for the profound changes needed if Russia is to become a full member of the developed and democratic world, as its size, its culture and its past achievements suggest it should? These are the questions this survey will explore, starting with the simplest and crudest gauge of success: the prospects for sustainable economic growth

have you read the entire article to be able to pass a verdict?

14. WasiGermany Banned Banned

funny comment ,but you haven´t lived here
    perhaps you don´t need it ,but you should know that it gives you a better view

so you say we lived in fear ?or better ,we should have lived in fear ?
    neither the russians could attack the nato nor the nato the russians !
    they told in west-germany always "der russe kommt" ,the russians will come ,and they told the same story in east-germany !
    only some easyminds believed them ....
    man ,this are horror-stories

ps : czechoslovakia ?when did i ever said that "communism" was a fine thing ?never....

15. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

What on earth makes people think that Russians will die out?! Yes, many, quite many are drunk and live in smoke, living conditions outside of large cities in Rus. are not too good all together (softly said). But there are so many Russians outside of there! I've noticed that in Moscow, Kiev, and Odessa (last two are in Ukraine, but are filled with Russians) neighborhoods are getting together and moving to US, Israel, and Germany. And, when the war with Iraq was getting started, people were trying to go back. If living conditions get better in Russia Im sure people will stay there more readily. I hate to bring the not funny truth, but most Russians dont get drunk on regular basis.

16. nico Banned Banned

A big problem for Russia is what you said wolf:

But there are so many Russians outside of there!

Russians are leaving Russia, and since ethnic Russians are leaving that allowing the racial minorities to gain a stronger voice. If you noticied on the economist map you noticied the regions with the highest growth rates have significant non-Russian populations. How will Russia last this? The heath care system in the cities are a shambles never mind outside the cities, then you have a explosion in AIDS, and T.B. Both very expensive to treat. With a low moralle since the Brezhnev days the Russian people aren't in the mood. Many of the wealthy oligarchs have their funds invested in the Swiss alps and London. Only now are you starting to see signs of a economic rivival.

17. spookz Banned Banned

nico

would you prefer if i thrash talk your ass? ehh moron?

18. spookz Banned Banned

since ethnic Russians are leaving that allowing the racial minorities to gain a stronger voice. If you noticied on the economist map you noticied the regions with the highest growth rates have significant non-Russian populations

why those mestizo type ethnic bastards! i bet they all wanna be white too ehh?

you shift the topic from russia as a country (with its varied ethnic groups) to focus on ethnic russians now? your brain is muddled bad fool

19. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

nico, child, why dont you go and improve your reading skills?
    read my first post, it says primary problem of Rus. is in gov't; let me explain specially for you: due to the corruption of Rus.'s govt after communism (mentioned in article you provided), people have never gotten and wont get any money any time soon. All those leaks etc that article mentioned arent taken care of exactly due to govt corruption. There will be no money invested into med care either, for a long time.
    Now, thing is that during communism, there was the same amt of corruption. Plus numerous sudden accusations that inevitably threw people into prisons. They drank the same way, except that people were kept busy by numerous organizations and werent allowed to leave the country.
    But they're not dying out! Russians in other parts of world are actually very interested in their country; they count the years of how long they've been away as if they're waiting for a certain time when _______ can take place.
    Oh, and since everybody's leaving Rus. like rats leave a sinking ship, what minorities are coming in? and what minorities aren't leaving?

20. nico Banned Banned

nico, child, why dont you go and improve your reading skills?

HAH! another one, inferiority complex?

due to the corruption of Rus.'s govt after communism (mentioned in article you provided)

Yeah and it wasn't corrupt during the Soviet period remember the Uzbek cotton scandal.

), people have never gotten and wont get any money any time soon.

Are you talking about the incentives?

There will be no money invested into med care either, for a long time.

And in essence a worsening situation for the countries population isn't it? And thus more people leaving.

a certain time when _______ can take place.

???

Oh, and since everybody's leaving Rus. like rats leave a sinking ship, what minorities are coming in? and what minorities aren't leaving?

Well minorities don't come, how about the rapid growth of Islam in Russia, or the Chechens,or Tartar's, or Shaka's?

21. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I say, minorities dont leave? they like it there? and the ones you mentioned were there before, not news to me.
    and besides you already have proven my point and answered your own question, Russia is not a threat due to all things you and i mentioned. it is simply beginning to improve the situation (Putin is doing SOMETHING, as opposed to Yeltsin drinking his ass off). Again, go improve your reading skills.
    RUSSIA WASNT CORRUPT DURING COMMUNISM?!!!!!!! there's a wonderful Russ writer known worldwide, Solzhenyitsin. wrote ab communist regime all his life. go find a translation, read it (three or four times, i guess) and then well talk ab corruption in Russ for past 100 years or so.

22. Abdullathebomber Banned Banned

Sex and the Russian woman.

Abdulla: Russia is one of the few countries where mortality is currently shrinking. Alcoholism continues to increase the males death rate, premature aging and infertility in the Russian man. Abortions are being had wholesale by women not wanting to introduce children into a life of proverty. Many Russian women are having abortions into the teens!

Thus, Russian women are being depended on more and more for economic reasons by more and more by the Russian men. Therefore, more and more Russian women are leaving Russia in droves (BTW: sadly, thousands are being introduced into the white slave trade in Israel by unscrupulous Rabbi's ). The Russian Bride Internet sites are doing a booming business.

Also, the Russian woman has become one of the most highly educated of the female species on the planet and more and more of them seem to want less and less to do with a Russian husband.

AbdullaTheBomber....

23. nico Banned Banned

not news to me.
    and besides you already have proven my point and answered your own question

I am not a stickler for grammar but I know you don't put a period and the next word shouldn't be "and" , and you capitalize the letter after the period.

Products of American education.

besides you already have proven my point and answered your own question

Your point more like incomplete fragments of a point. My quesion about Russia? If so, it's called opinion.

Russia is not a threat due to all things you and i mentioned.

Of course not, she only has 13,000 nukes, and a 1 million man army. But of course let's scoff it off.

RUSSIA WASNT CORRUPT DURING COMMUNISM?!!!!!!!

The USSR WAS CORRUPT, what do you think the Uzbek cotton scandal was? LOL