from where does inspiration come from

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Avatar, May 17, 2003.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Mozart, Einstein, Newton, Michelangelo.....
    even myself, there are just moments when the solution to the problem you've been working from zaps in your brain as if from nowhere
    I have woken up at 4am and without any thinking writen down a beautiful poem.
    your mind creating things without you forcing it to
    is that subconsciousness working as some deep level thinking while your consciousness thinks about smthing other

for example you are watching news, but at the same moment your subconsciousness is working on some other problem

ok- that would be one case, but what about when the solution is instant, that makes me consider that the process power of the brain is actually much larger
    or what about intuition?

what interests me is the mechanics behind these processes
    what exactly does our brain do then

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well it is not exactly clear as to why our brain does that. I guess you could describe in theory though i doubt a exact definition exists for such a phenomenon. I remember hearing that while you are going crazy in your consious mulling over a solution to a problem you can't figure out, secretly your subconcious is working away on the same problem and if it happens to get done before you...BAM the solution pops up into your head. I guess it could be a minds way of distruibuting tasks so our sanity remains intact when we become crazy to find a answer. Our subconcious gets tapped as extra RAM to help us out.

Ditto...many have done the same as you...done amazing things without much effort into it. Again your sunconcious could be helping along the way in the background doing this.

Again i suspect the subconcious is behind all along evaluating the problem to give you a gut feeling through your concious. Which many interprets as a intuition. Could be using past experince memory in conjunction with learning to make a assumption.

AS always it depends from person to person. Our brain chemistery is vastly different from one person to another...so much so that it puts finger prints differences to shame. Forgive the banter

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

ab that 4 am stuff: your brain reaches its highest activity from 10pm to 3 am; THATS when your poem got thought out. yes by the subconscious. Read Jung's stuff on subconscious, you'll see how creative it actually is.
    i know that mind's trick, i nap until 10-11 pm and work on my art from then on till whenever. only see i lived half of my life in Latvia, so im not sure how the whole timezone thing works

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Isn't it neat when things just "bang", come to you like that? The old Gestalt school of psychology studied this, calling it "insight". Insight comes from when unrelated material is organized together and meaning results. Take a look at the picture below...

If you haven't seen this before, what it looks like is a bunch of unorganized splotches. Well if I told you there is something meaningful in the picture, can you find it?

What if I told you there is a dalmation dog sniffing the ground in the picture, can you find it now?

When your brain finally organizes the splotches of the picture into a meaningful picture of a dalmation, then you have an "aha", insight experience. From now on you'll see the dog when you approach the picture. The dog configuration didn't come from the picture, or you telling yourself there's a dog there. It comes from the powerful organizing subconscious, organizing the splotches into something meaningful. Meaning comes from organization and allows for more organization. Meaning is probably the most powerful tool of mankind.

So in this way there are subconscious processes happening all the time. Think of the brain as a large factory. Think of consciousness as the "foreman" of the factory. You can direct what's going on in the factory (well most of the time

), but there's a lot going on underneath the surface.

Another area I'd suggest to look into for understanding the power of the subconscious brain is sleep and dreaming.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I saw that there was a dog sniffing the ground at the first glance without you telling me

p.s. whitewolf, is it much better in NY than in Latvia?

9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!(very loudly, to tears)
    You will never know how good Latvia is until you live here for a few years (lots of reasons). Im of Russian descent, and i still like Riga better (waiting for you to hate me now, eyes shut). My happy childhood and best friends are there.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

thought so

back to topic

11. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

myes. balzac was another one of those creative owls; rodin's statue best describes what a person like that looks and feels like.
    so ok, creativity can be stimulated also by colors, scent, etc.
    how else can one stimulate that whole creative process? and how does thought exactly form in the brain, idea for idea, word for word? is there a code (or what not)? how does it go from chemicals bw nerves to something understandable?

12. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

You want a medal?

The purpose of the picture isn't to see who can find the dog the fastest, but to demonstrate insight.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

a medal would be good

nice and shiny please
    I didn't say I didn't get your idea, just wanted to say that the dog can be visible without the insight, but you are right that now it is much more harder to try see anything else in the picture

14. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

If you saw the dog, then you had the insight. The picture is meaningless splotches. When your subconscious brain organizes the splotches into the dog, it attaches meaning onto it. The attachment of meaning is the insight.

Since you saw the dog right away, your insight was instant, and because it was so quick your insight felt less spectacular then say someone who finally got it after staring for hours.

15. Alan_ology Registered Member

Forgive me for intruding in on this thread, but I am quite interested and xenu,..I like your example.

I am studying synchronicity at the moment and looking around various 'other' areas for ideas and clues.

I wonder if this process you pointed out can be also responsible for the creation of outer events manifestation through 'meaning' that originates from thought and is then 'created' solid in the outer world through some kind of similar process to 'recognizing' the dog?

I am interested in your views, you could pm me if you like.

16. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. I'm guessing you mean that humans create worldly objects with our thought processes. This is a fun idea to entertain (the game Mage, The Ascension dealt with this, based on the novel Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), but I haven't heard any real controlled evidence for it.

It does feel that our thoughts can affect the outside world at times, doesn't it? I expect this ties in with synchronicity you're studying. As for synchronicity, I tend to half-believe it. The reason I say this is because within the brain we have special "coincidence detectors" that look for events that might be similar, have meaning to the being. When two or more events coincide, these centers are triggered, causing the person to take notice at the two events. Those of you who have heard of conditioning (classical especially), can see that these coincidence detectors are what help us learn. These same detectors are responsible for superstition, and quite possibly synchronicity. In other words, it could be our brains just making big deals out of meaningless coincidences that happen.

For instance, there was a lunar eclipse on my birthday this year. Immediately I think, "wow that's special". Also, I get the feeling, "something could happen". When I relook at it rationally, "well, think of all the years that the lunar eclipse didn't fall on my birthday, and look at all the years to come it won't fall on either". Also think of all the people who have the same birthday as me. And, of course nothing really special happened on my birthday (except the lunar eclipse itself).

So I guess my overall take is that there could be something about synchronicity, but you have to be careful to not overlook the powerful "coincidence detecting" brain processes.

17. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Well in the example that I provided I'd say the object "dog" is the attached "intimate expose" that is placed on top of perception, ie the splotches (actually perception is the wrong word, the word should be "sensation"). In other words, insight is when the brain attaches meaning onto a previously unorganized set of stimuli.

I think what most people think of insight is in more extreme cases, such as the scientist running around yelling "eureka!!!" after staring at test tubes for 10 years.

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

That's pretty cool Xenu. I too, also saw the dog before I read the rest of what you had written. Including a tree in the background...At first I thought it was just a low res image...

Which brings me to something else I wanted to mention. -When I read, my eyes sometimes instantaneously dart. I'm sure you people know what I'm talking about. Whether you're doing it to rest, or whatever, and all of a sudden, I have half of the page read (not conciously). I've managed to pick up on key words and sorta had an insight into what it's about, even though I realize any of this until I actually read over something, and think - 'hey.. that sounds familiary'. Your almost never aware of this...and too bad, 'cause it'd be pretty darn useful. So I'm not a true speed reader.

Is this the mechanism that the speed reader utilize? Their subconscious?

One more thing -

The subconscious, from an evolutionary view can prove very useful in everday life. I don't know how many times it's saved my bacon when I would have otherwise forgotten something, or totally screwed up something vital. Even used to take *wild* guesses at the outcomes of various hockey games. And am/or was often right. This is when watching hockey was a bigger part of my life.

People like Einstein and Da Vinci most likely had a good grip on their subconscious. But nothing, IMO - not even a great subconscious can beat out the wits of a well developed frontal lobe. That's what seperates the Einsteins from the McCarthy's.

EDIT::

I can never get those damned magic eyes. I've never seen one. NOT ONCE! Perhaps more than just the subconscious is responsible for insights such as that?

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  19. thinker Registered Senior Member

Yeah Jung has some great ideas about subconciousness.

20. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

Do they have 10mbps VDSL connections in Latvia?

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

actually I have a 10 mbps cable in my house

(not using it - too expensive)
    the problem with it is that in Latvia i-net is very expensive
    at least in the centre of the capital city

Structure of the Latvian GIX & RIX

The Latvian GIX (Global Internet eXchange) & RIX (Riga Internet eXchange) is running on the 3Gb/s Ethernet Switches and provides multimedia-ready throughput between Latvian Internet Service Providers.