Humor Disorder

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by LionHearted, May 15, 2003.

1. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know of a mental disorder where people will laugh at things that are not funny or not very funny?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Certain types of schizophrenia can cause people to have inappropriate affects, laughing at odd times, such as funerals.

Are you trying to diagnose someone you know?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orbie Registered Senior Member

I notice it a lot among idiots.. So something along the lines of Idiocy (maybe I wouldn't look so much like one myself if I could spell the damn disorder).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

I think there might be something wrong with me. It's not as extreme as the thing you were talking about. I sometimes start laughing for not much reason or I will continue laughing at something long after everyone else has stopped laughing. It's probably not be a real disorder, but I am curious to know whether or not it might be.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Or maybe you have a really good sense of humor???...no i didn't think so. You need to explain more of why you laugh out of context in certain situations.

9. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I said the whole schizophrenia thing to be a smarty pants, but also to try to get you to get to the point of the post.

Don't label it as a "disorder" unless it is seriously affecting your life and it's persistent: such as, not being able to hold down a job, nobody will talk to you ever, it's making you clinically depressed etc. Even then labeling it as a disorder doesn't do anything unless it helps you to "correct" it. It's just a label.

I'm guessing you laugh either when you are nervous or trying to fit in (trying too hard), which is common. But I don't know you well enough...

I'd say, pay attention to when you do it, find what happens prior to the behavior, and be honest with yourself on what's going on. Explore all possibilities and try to be objective in your own behavior.

10. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

probably not a disorder, but maybe you are just really stupid or something. :m:

11. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

no worries, man, laughing is the best possible thing to do. it's better than crying for no reason.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i laugh at a lot of inappropriate things, and for no reason as well. i also laugh long after everyone has stopped... four days later. (we were talking about eating sleeping pills and chili-flavoured laxatives at the same time, LOL! we called them "chilaxatives", and we also made up the "fartnar" which finds displaced people through residual gaseous traces. quite marketable, don't you think? lmao

)

i doubt it's a disorder, but i label it as some type of defense mechanism. has anything bad happened to you, that might be causing all this spontaneous laughter? maybe you should keep a laughter log, like dream logs. only sillier and in a way, more disturbing than any dream log.

hey, do you laugh at dead baby jokes? man those are funny. i think we're just people who are easily amused, Lionhearted, and therefore the happiest people on earth. ha ha, we rule.

12. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

Some illness that do that, although you don't seem to have some of the other symptoms that fall within the lines of those illnesses... like autism, and epilpsy (spelling?), and some mental illnesses do too, but I'm not exactly sure what the background is for your situation... do you just find it funny or is it involuntary?

13. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

In my experience people laugh at things that do not seem real to them. To begin with it is when people have blanked something out, and that's when they wake up: they begin to understand why they are laughing. However the fact that people laugh at things that aren't real (whether through denial or not) means that anything that is very unreal for them (or an experience that is unlikely for them), is laughable.

(in my opinion)

14. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Teenage girls in groups have a tendency to laugh hysterically at practically nothing, that doesn't mean that they suffer from some illness, it's just common teenage behaviour. If one starts the rest follow out of fear of being different and because it's hard not to when someone else is laughing.
    And sometimes when you start laughing and know it's inappropriate to laugh at that moment, it gets even harder to stop, because nervousness also triggers laughter.
    I think you're just overanalyzing yourself.

You may just have a great sense of humour.

15. Vultekai Registered Member

I agree.. well atleast that fits me and few people around me, or then it's just that we're stupid

Movies are one example of this. Comedies are funny because people do or say things that wouldn't normally be said or done, like Jim Carey in Liar Liar when he can't lie.. or something like that

The same thing happens with quite a few horror movies. Can't help, but to laugh when people die, because they die in such ridiculous ways. The gorier the better.
    Or then usually laughing at pointless things comes from being tired. Like me and my friend laughing at a hole in a wall for no reason. Just stood there laughing and we couldn't stop.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Laughing at a hole in the wall? Maybe YOU have a humour disorder Vultekai...

17. Vultekai Registered Member

You should've seen that hole though. I mean it was so funny. I think we hurt his feelings though. :bugeye:

hmm.. and as you said laughter is contagious. Spreads like wildfire. We were just talking about nothing when I suddenly started to laugh at that hole and because I was laughing my friend started to laugh too.