Change in society

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cyberia, May 14, 2003.

1. cyberia Lounge Act Registered Senior Member

Is change in society influenced by evolution of thought or forces of Nationalism?

ie: is war on Iraq ( a major change in Iraqi society) caused by evolution of thought or nationalism.

French revolution. -> evolution of thought or Nationalism?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Abnak Registered Senior Member

Usually the impetus of societal change is cloaked in good intentions and crys for nationalism , but the real motivation is about power and money .

"If we understand the mechanisms and motives of the group mind, it is now possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing it ... The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country ... In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons ... who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind ." - Edward Bernays

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well sadly enough these days it is caused by fashion trends in some places.....i agree it is usually caused by power and money. In war torn countries it's usually the dictators who direct the train of thought of the whole nation and cause change.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. weebee Registered Senior Member

I find this a really weird question. I guess most would agree that the ‘political’ change in Iraqi occurred because of the US, with US nationalism as a suitable motivation. But I’m guessing this is not what you meant?