US border security... is not quite childproof

Discussion in 'World Events' started by EI_Sparks, May 13, 2003.

1. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

For those that think the US is now secure against terrorism, a cautionary tale ....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aghart Registered Senior Member

It's a long border. Also the longest undefended border in the world. Don't believe all the hollywood rubbish about guards and sentries being alert and hearing and noticing everything. Believe me ( I've 'stagged on' on more than a few occasions ) unless there is a 'real' threat it's easy to slip into the 'eyes open but mind in neutral syndrome.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Not the point aghart, though I'll point out that the article says he walked across a bridge with sensors pointed at it to detect people crossing.

The point was that if he can do it without trying, what if someone was determined to get across? And if the determined terrorist can't be stopped, why spend the money when all you succeed in doing is making life a hassle for law-abiding taxpayers?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aghart Registered Senior Member

Politics sparks, I helped block numerous border crossing points between Fermanagh and the Republic, It didn't really reduce IRA activity, but it looked as if something tangeble was being done.

8. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Yes aghart, but I think you'd agree that the real impact of what you were doing was reasonably well understood by those living there, yes?

9. aghart Registered Senior Member

yes,, but the other point you point you make is correct, no security is totally 100% 100% of the time.