history of complexity of brain

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by thinker, May 11, 2003.

1. thinker Registered Senior Member

The brain is really an amazing thing in that throughout the history and evolution of man up until the neanderthal man or Predmost, the actuall size of the brain was increasing. The capacity of a neanderthal man was 1450 cc. and now modern man is around 1400 cc. My question is why over the course of history, the brain been enlarging and parallelly becoming more complex, why did the brain after the neanderthal man continue to become more complex, yet actually start a trend of becoming smaller. Also, if this is the case, then eventually in thousands of years will our brains continue to become more complex and smaller at the same time? Or will they start to become larger like they were for thousands of years up unil modern man?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Neanderthals were a different species. Homo Sapiens did not evolve from neanderthals(a common misconseption).
    The human brain has physically always been the same since the dawn of the species some 400 000 years ago.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I guess the neurons were starting to be packed more densley together causing no need for large brains to carry out our more cognitive involved functions. Besides that i have no idea but Dr lou seems pretty right.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thinker Registered Senior Member

What colleges are good psychology schools?

Hello. I was wondering if any of you knew any good colleges that have strengths in psychology. Thanks-