Beginning of the Oil Wars

Discussion in 'World Events' started by firdroirich, May 1, 2003.

1. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Watched an interesting doco last night - all the major oil companies were going on about how oil to substain the world would be in shortage maybe as close as 2015 & how this would affect our lives in terms of costs to travel & all things costing so much more, in the future this Iraq fiasco may one day be called the beginning of the oil wars.
    What you guys reckon?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

I think that the oil companies were doing some serious public relations in that documentary. We have at least a 75 year supply of oil.

Predicting an oil shortage in the near future is just their way of gaining public support for "stealing oil" from other countries.

What channel was the documentary on?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. heflores Banned Banned

I sure hope we run out of oil soon....Imagine this....

Towns become smarter and more consolidated with schools, homes, jobs, all located close together....We would all be healthy and ride bikes, and the communities would be nice and strong again.

Our environement becomes clean again, we start seeing animals and plants that we thought went extinct.

We would forget about the stupid Ford industrial rules and 8 hour work days and come up with new modified ways to work that is energy efficient.

We would warm ourselves using hydropower, which rivers are abundant in the US. We all would know that energy is valuable and there would be a carefue to go to sleep at sun set and get up at sun rise.

OH.....What a beatifull clean life......

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

That seems hopelessly optimistic... I like it

8. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

But before they get to that they want to rape it out of other peoples , even if they know they'll replacing it soon enough .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

That seems hoplessly pesamistic... I like it.

10. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

helflores

"Towns become smarter and more consolidated"

That sounds like something an architect would dream up.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We have plenty of free solar power here in the southwest. but I think the politicians will follow big oil into the gates of hell.

11. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Assuming oil supplies are exhausted - where's the plastic going to come from?

12. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Synthesized. Also, it is able to be produced in genetically modified plants i believe. Very low quality though

13. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Are those sources actually viable given the requirements in terms of quality, quantity and so on?

14. heflores Banned Banned

you truly have to change your way of life without oil...There is question about that...But it's doable.

Civil engineers once thought that there is no alternative to standard curb and gutter asphalt roads. Now we are installing pervious pavers with no curb and gutter and side swales.

As far as plastic, I think it's the worst thing that have ever happened to civilization.....Recycling coupled with alternative sources would work. But we should slowly merge back into reusable appliances and lean to spend more time washing our personals instead of the biggest polluter by the name of plastics.

15. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

If we build enough nuclear power plants we could easily cut our oil consumption in half.

16. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

Then there is old king coal. We have a 250 year supply at our current rate of usage. About 50% of our electricity is produced by burning coal. Will oil wars become coal wars?

How long will it take before the politicians are convinced that we can not keep on burning fossil fuels with out causing a global disaster?

http://www.careenergy.com/powering_life/abundant.asp

Are we even allowed to discuss this without first clearing it with Cheney's energy policy comittee?

17. machaon Registered Senior Member

As long as it takes

How long will it take before the politicians are convinced that we can not keep on burning fossil fuels with out causing a global disaster?

As long as it takes for the US doller not to be based on it.

18. aghart Registered Senior Member

Oil wars

Sadly a shortage of water rather than oil looks like it could be a war causing problem in the future. And who will be short of water?. The middle east!. oh no here we go again!!!!!!!!!

19. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Sounds like precisely the opposite to me aghart ...

20. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

aghart

I agree , the global water supply is definitely going to be fought for. Few Americans realize that the water supply of many of our communities has been purchased by transglobal corporations, In particular Sodexho Alliance of Germany.

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/natres/waterindex.htm

21. edgar Registered Senior Member

dont wory, you need not to worry about flooding if theres global warming. god promised never to punish the earth again with a massive flood. worry about other stuff.

22. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

can it be THAT hard to get salt out of seawater? SOMEONE FIGURE IT OUT ALREADY! cmon, this is the Blue Friggin Planet! oh god i hope i dont have to do this... =P

23. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

carnuth

It takes massive amounts of energy to desalinize sea water. Saudi Arabia does it, but they have the bucks and the oil to do it.

Of course that takes us back to square one. He who has the oil will also have the water.