Best Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by airavata, Apr 30, 2003.

1. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

i have a question. which is ----

1. the toughest martial art,

2. and the most effective martial art.

please don't show any bias towards the one which you practise. answer objectively.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river-wind Valued Senior Member

me likes.

I'd divide my answer up into the following categories:
    For a beginner who needs...
    ...to learn balance & improve strength
    Tae Kwon Do
    ...health training (flexibility/strength)
    yoga or Ti Chi or Qigung
    ...to learn self defense
    American Kempo or Judo

for a person in fair shape who needs...
    ...to improve balance
    TKD or Hap Ki Do & yoga or Ti Chi
    ...health training
    yoga & qigung
    ...strength training
    at this level, pretty much any popular Martial art will do
    ... to learn self defense
    Jeet Kun Do, American Kempo, Judo, Akido (in that order)

for an advanced person who needs...
    ...to improve balance
    yoga & Ti Chi, Bagua
    ...health training
    yoga, Ti Chi, qigung
    ...strength training
    Wu Shu or general Traditional Kung Fu, Bagua
    ...to learn self defense
    Jeet Kun Do, Dim Mak, Kempo, Ninjitsu, weapon styles, gun training(I don't like guns, but it's still good to know how they work)

very advanced:
    ...general
    Ti Chi, Bagua, Five animals Kung Fu, Kung Fu weapons, Kendo
    ...self defense
    alot of the world military hand-to hand, above black belt level Kempo, traditional Karate-do, Aki-jitsu

in case you can't tell, I think the internal styles are important

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

anyone disagree w/ the above? have you tried a style which would fit better? The above is only stuff I've tried, I'm sure that there are other really good arts which I have no knowledge of. for example, I keep hearing about Brazillain martial arts as well as Hawaiian Martial arts, but I don't know much about them. Wing Chun either for that matter, nor Jiujistu or even Tae Bo

I wouldn't know where to add them to the list above.

My personal favorites are: Dim Mak, Drunken Monkey Kung Fu, Ti Chi, and American Kempo

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

The Best is Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. Tough, perhaps. Effective, yes. And oh what fun. cOme on people - start cheering... Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You think that judo is more effective than akido for self defense? I have to disagree. I've practiced both aikido and judo for years, and I enjoy both, but aikido is much more oriented toward self defense than judo. Judo is esentially a cross between a martial art and a sport; there's not a lot of 'realism' in it.

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

1. Muay Thai
    2. Muay Thai

What do you mean by toughest and most effective? If you mean "make you toughest" and "kick peoples asses most effectively" then my answers remain.

I don't do any or prefer any over any others so I'm not bias.

9. Revolution Registered Senior Member

2- Chink Chink

By THe Smith and Wesson Dojo.

10. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

in muay thai you do get your ass kicked. i guess it toughens you up like hell. about flexibility and health, yoga is the best. i mean it's incredibly vast, and the asanas and pranayamas are not the only thing. the food you eat etc. is also important.

coming back to martial arts, i was under the impression that kung fu was the best. wasn't jeet kun do invented by bruce lee? about the brazilian martial arts, i know wesley snipes is really good in this brazilian martial art called Capoeira.

11. jps Valued Senior Member

I don't know anything about martial arts but capoeria looks really cool

12. Zero Banned Banned

Yoga is not a martial art. It is a spiritual practice. It is not "martial" at all!

All martial arts, as long as they have a long history (and therefore credible), are all good.

13. Revolution Registered Senior Member

Being serious I have practiced 3 styles. Taekwando(man i cant spell sorry), ShodoKan, and basic street fighting taught by a pair of brothers I used to know who were 4th degree black belts, but I forget their style, some Philipeans stuff. Anyways they skipped the tradition and stuff and just taught what you needed to know to defend yourself if attacked. But they always upheld the Dont Attack, unless defending yourself is innevidible.

So my answer is
    1- I dont know I think any style that you work your hardest at would be the answer.
    3-Basic street fighting style that they taught, Self Defense to the extreme.

I am not saying I am right, this is just my opinion but those brothers were bad ass mofo's! I asked em once to play golf. They used their legs as the clubs

14. Blindman Valued Senior Member

I learnt kendo as a young man. The use of tools is the most effective form of self-defense.
    airavata
    Try to match a sword.. Try to match a disarmed kendo pupil.

Kendo should be extended into modern times. Guns, pepper spray, extra.

Marital arts involves the one to one human battle. Anything else is war. Sun Tzu, Art of War is the next step.

15. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

i know

jeet kun do is every art so it has to be the best:m:

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

But then it wouldn't be kendo, now would it?

17. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Nasor.. well I guess it wouldn’t in classical terms.

But there is no reason that it can’t evolve.

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Capoeira seems amazing and well suited for learning balance but it doesn't seem practical for defending yourself in a attack. I forgot the name of the martial art Bruce Lee invented. It supposedly had no restrictions and it was made for street fighting because Bruce Lee realized that traditional arts just weren't going to cut in a world of dirty fighting.

Drunken Boxing seems amazing....throw yourself off balance to confuse enemies and then *POW* in the face and the enemy is left confused and bruised.

19. river-wind Valued Senior Member

as always, I can be wrong. It sounds like you have more exp with these two than I do, so I could be wrong. My impression is that Akido is more technical. This can lead to very effective self-defense moves down the road, but between day 1 and being a master, you are largely defensless. don't do the move just right, and it doesn't work at all.

Judo, IME, covers more of the middle ground. so that you can leave class after day 1 with a tiny bit more ability to defend yourself.

Now if you want to be master kick ass, I'd avoid judo and akido, and go for aki-jitsui (akido w/ attacks)

after the mentions above, I think I'll have to do some more research on capoeria. oh, yeah, I forgot about muay thai completely, d'oh! A friend of mine keeps telling me that kendo is cool- how much of it is outside of the full body armor/shinai sparring? is there alot of hand-to-hand/exersize? I know nothing but what I've seen in pictures.

20. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

forget you

jeet kun do "THE WAY OF NO WAY"
    Learining this concept will put you on your way to kicking some ass.
    Muay thai will make you tough though, a bad fighter and tough but whatever.:m:

21. cyberia Lounge Act Registered Senior Member

HAP KI DO!

Its the newest form of Martial arts and probably the most comprehensive because it was developed by the Korean military in the last 200 or so years from a conglomeration of every single type of martial arts.

I've taken three different kinds of Martial arts over my Life (Karate and Tae Kwon do) But I started Hap Ki do when I was 12 and I have to say it is definitley the hardest of the three styles I have tried.

Its think its the most effective because it covers using weapons, Disarming weapons (You have to be able to disarm a weapon before you can learn the weapon) (swords, daggers, throwing knives, Nunchaks (sp?

) )

The work outs a BLOODY hard as it was designed for military use specifically. To give an example, My master trained 50 American troops for three months to a High Red belt/low black belt level and 15 of them ended up dropping (from exhaustion) After the first week... Of course that was an extreme circumstance but they do NOT go any easier on us. Summer training camp followed the same program as the military and it was about the same intensity as an long/hard class.

22. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

! this sounds to me like a biased quote

hehe

23. blakeimus Registered Senior Member

Shaolin Kung Fu and Ninjitsu