We're Losing It

Discussion in 'World Events' started by hypewaders, Apr 29, 2003.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I must vent (again) after encountering yet another of the prevalent opinions (again) that opposition to America's new foreign policy is weak, naiive, vulnerable, impractical, unamerican, etc, etc (using gentler words than the epithets usually in play).

I've got to vent at the recurring premise that killing-contests are the ultimate way humans arbitrate their differences. Wars distract from, and most often exacerbate, the problems they are purported to stem from and address. Killing is not King. From your immediate social structure to international relations, lashing out does not get individuals or nations what they want.

"War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses."
    - Thomas Jefferson

My country is currently demonstrating (again, for those not astute enough to notice how past empires declined) that the (fast) "developing world"s tolerance for variations on the colonialist theme, however subtle, are diminishing considerably as history progresses. Empires are not now inviable because of administrative reasons, or because of rival powers. No, it's just that the imperialist jig is up.

The often-repeated rant that it is unpatriotic, unAmerican, cynical, and ungrateful to criticise America's recent change in personality would be hilarious hypocrisy if it were not so dangerous. America has responded ignorantly and self-destructively to the hubris traps engineered by Al-Qaeda and other enemies. It is now well understood by millions of the real anti-Americans, at home and around the world, exactly how to cause the US to behave increasingly as the worst stereotypes depict. It is now commmon knowledge and very easy to stimulate a clumsy, arrogant, and false sense of American supremacy. Any true enemy with average or better intelligence now recognizes that Americans can be easily insulted, threatened, and frightened into irrationality. Enemies now understand how to affordably incite America to overextend in ways that damage our economy profoundly. This is no vast global conspiracy- it's a simple realization of critical vulnerabilities of the United States, that are becoming more obvious everywhere, except of course within the self-congratulating collective American psyche.

It's hard to stop and think, stimulated by a heavily-filtered media, bombarded with images of a leader promising prosperity before backdrops of tanks, warplanes, and troops. It's easier to wave a flag, cheer our President and ourselves, and enjoy a comforting warm-fuzzy of superiority over all who aren't "with us".

Something extremely dangerous is happening to America, far more threatening than the popularly-promoted Villain-or-Weapon-or-Disease-of-the-Month. Present US leadership and their ardent supporters are after "what so many blinded pacifists today hope to gain by begging, whining and whimpering: a peace, supported not by the palm branches of tearful, pacifist female mourners, but based on the victorious sword of a master people, putting the world into the service of a higher culture." Present US leadership have an agenda circling in sufficient proximity to fascism, as to be indistinguishable for much of the world. The last quote is from Mein Kampf.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

what can I say.....ur very correct . Could u even imgaine what potential such an understanding could have if only indeed understood by a majority of americans ?

But when this seems more unlikely than the entire imperial collapse of the USA , and a national collapse as well even , Id say we know what time it is .

I think the USA will collapse not by external forces (armies of swimming muslims or nuclear nkoreans) , but by the fear that will come over the USA after 2 or 3 forcefull terrorist attacks within the next few years , Id say that will move entire classes of people into rebellion , especially as they begin to understand the false propaganda they have been receiving for years , and what is actually going on in this world , who made UBL , who made Saddam , and who is responsible for the Iranian Islamic revolution (as they refused the USA shah) , the Islamists (taliban) victory over the sovyetunion , the worldwide (well 3rd world) economic dirty games there are played etc etc etc .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. N-lightened-1 Registered Member

Very pragmatic.

Indeed. Nice post Hype -- very true.

"Beware of the leader who bangs [the drums] of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double edged sword. It emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind."

"When the drums of war have reached a fervor pitch, and the blood boils with hate and the mind is closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and do it gladly so."

"How do I know? I know, for this is what I have done."

~ Julius Caesar

Our (Media) has transposed past events to paint a picture that does not exist. Winston Churchill is probably rolling over in his grave when groups parallel him with Bush. The true comparison for Bush's actions have many more similarities with the Man Churchill was trying to stop.

Freedom of speech *Unless, it's about the Government and their agenda. And, not while (we) are at war. After all, (true patriotism) today means (no questions) wave your flag and believe everything we tell you.
    "What luck for the rulers that men do not think." ~ Adolph Hitler

N-L-1

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Insecurity is the root of all evil

8. kmguru Staff Member

...as long as that rebellion does not translate to the use of nukes or WMDs to wipe out entire classes of people at the other end....fear is a very powerful motivator too....

9. bhudmaash Banned Banned

Hype:

The same is true for Muslims aswell, hell we are more easily insulted/threatened/and frightened into irrationality than most Americans.

All you can hope for is that we as individuals get to a point where we can cut through all the bullshit and hype and maintain some degree of intelligence and objectivity and not side with the knee jerk irrationalities of the lowest common denominator.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I agree with you, bhudmaash. If I were a Muslim Arab, I would be an activist for pan-Arab moderate secularism and solidarity. But since I am an American, since America is the most powerful nation in history, and since America is behaving increasingly recklessly, I'll throw my miniscule weight where I hope it will count the most.

Without American, European and Zionist meddling, Arabs would have a great deal less to be agitated by, and Islam would likely not be so perversely twisted into a political vehicle (just as Judaism and Christianity have been).

The only hope for us is that that those of us who can speak out, and even act up, do so while there is a chance to avoid the dictatorship of the lowest common denominator. I do not believe in fate. The future is entirely our choice, and from here forward it can be wonderful, hellish, or anywhere in between that we choose.

11. bhudmaash Banned Banned

True....it's easy for me sitting here in merry England, sipping tea and eating scones to sympathise with those in the mideast, especially Palastine. I sit here under the blanket of freedom bought and paid for by those who gave up their lives in the two world wars, I am in a position where I am able to take freedom and civil liberty for granted. Speaking of merry England, may I remind everyone of the "Brit" factor....historically where ever we've been, we've really messed things up before leaving.
    I share your frustrations and feelings totally, however I'm extremely dubious as to the real and tangible effect our speaking out will/can have (if indeed any). America's one hell of a juggernaught, and if I remember correctly from my school days, inertia is directly proportional to mass hence I don't think the juggernaught can even be slowed down let alone stopped.
    Maybe all of us at Sciforums should chip in and get you elected as president.....nah..then again I don't think so, as soon as you start spouting off something that even remotely resembles a well balanced and objective arguement, they'd have you "silenced"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

...not if this time nobody gets to win it

13. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

maybe i need to vote for the democrats or the green party next year

as for my future , i got my eyes on new zealand

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Hope you like sheep.

15. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

not in that way if you are insinuating something

16. Hesomagari Registered Senior Member

Why would you want to go to New Zealand Carnuth?

After all, that way, you have to sit around longer, watching the frogs in the northern hemisphere be quietly boiled to oblivion, then watch as it happens in NZ afterwards?

Frankly, if there is going to be a WW meltdown, or nuclear war, so long as someone tells me where the first bomb is with decent notice, I'd rather be sitting right under the first, than watch from afar, as the cremation, and destruction slowly creeps toward me...

Just a thought....