Dreaming within minutes of initiation of sleep

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Nomikal, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Nomikal Registered Member

I was wondering why most of the time when I sleep that I immediately start dreaming. Some of you might say how do you know if you start dreaming immediately if your sleep. Its because this occurs mostly when I take a nap and wake up and remember things about the dream i just had. And these naps may be about 5-20 minutes. Any one have any idea why this happens and what could be the cause of it. Its not like this always happened. I'll approximate that this commenced about a year to 6 months ago.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

i don't know if that's really a problem of a phenomenon. I do the same thing sometimes too. it just means you're going into REM sleep quickly that's all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I've heard it's common for people to have dream flashes when they first go to sleep (this might be tied in with hypnogagogic hallucinations). But most likely what you are talking about are full blown dreams. This is probably from what is known as REM deprivation. If someone is REM deprived they'll immediately go into REM when they start sleeping rather than go through the normal cycle (which lasts 90 minutes).

I'm guessing if you are a napper than you probably sleep less in the night. People do most of their REM dreaming at the end of an 8 hour block, so if you cut this short you may be cutting your REM sleep short, causing REM deprivation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nomikal Registered Member

Ok, know I remember what I learned in psychology, but barely. lol
    Thanks.

Oh, yeah I know this might sound strange, but when i dream sometimes I am able to be in the dream and in reality at the same time for about two-three seconds before i wake up or just got back to sleep. Any explaination........

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  8. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I get the same thing. I think this is normal, or at least I have always thought so. Never learned anything specific about the weird "residual dream" thing, but I'm willing to guess it happens because the brain uses the same structures while awake as they do while dreaming. So especially when woken up abruptly, I bet it takes a while for the brain to kick into the waking "reality".

9. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

dreaming without sleeping too is possible. i mean a kind of slumber with eyes half closed. and suddenly fully awake to reality and wondering for a moment where the heck we are...?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. New Life Registered Senior Member

Often when I'm dreaming, I'm fully in the dream, but at the same time I know, conciously, that I am dreaming....is that the thing you mean?

I'm not sure why that happens, except maybe because as someone else said, you're just entering/leaving a wakeful time so your brain starts to evaluate everything thats going on at the moment. I dunno