The cycle of history: Lincoln on Polk like stink on ... uh ... yeah

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Apr 27, 2003.

?

I guess the question's obvious

1. A censure would be a proper symbolic acknowledgement of the mistake.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Oh, yeah ... Congress censuring Bush. Isn't that the pot calling the stew stinky?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe the French legislators, but I want my American legislators rabidly and blindly patriotic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Censure? Why equate this war to a blowjob? Prosecute!

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's actually a freaky sidebar that brings us this topic. I was skipping around Google for ... something, I have no idea what any more. But I came across a random article and then linked to another article at Back to Iraq, and came across a tidbit that amused me. It was a bit about Abraham Lincoln and censure of the President. (see Randal, "Oh please, Opie") Interested in the tidbit this comment related, I went back to Google to follow the story of Abraham Lincoln and James K. Polk. Turns out that Opie lifted the paragraph from an article by Stanly I. Kutler for the Chicago Tribune that very day (March 18, 2003). I found the article at CommonDreams.

4/20/2003 saw a Tampa Tribune editorial, U.S. Armed Forces Defend Dissenters Too, which also invokes the Lincoln-Polk affair, but I think this is just a case of coattails or apron-strings.

A PBS summary of the issues of 1848 provides little of Lincoln, but it has nothing to do with the editorial page.

And here's a brief tidbit that makes the search I've taken you along to witness worthwhile:
    It actually appears to be a faculty-authored textbook online at Brigham Young University. How interesting ....

Addition on Edit:

I should have read the footnote. More fun, including the academic citation:
    End Edit

But let the issues foster what discussion they will or won't, and let that be that. Never let it be said, though, that Americans are not predictable.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!