Can we invade Cuba now?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by katavan, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katavan Guest

Our agreement not to invade Cuba was made with the Soviet Union.

Now that USSR no longer exist does that mean we are no longer legally bounded by our word?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

never. america won't, it'll probably get too much stick. plus it'll never overthrow castro. i admire the man for simply surviving. i was watching this programme on discovery the other day. it was about how the CIA tried to eliminate Castro. it was really funny, and really pathetic. after all their armed attempts, the CIA actually bribed the head chef of Castro's favourite restaurant to mix some poisonous cocktail in his food. the chef kept it in his freezer and at the time of usage he removed it only to find that it was solid and couldn't be used. viva castro.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Salty Registered Senior Member

Live somebody that has killed hundreds and inslave millions?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

i admire him for surviving. at the least he had cuba's interests at heart. he wasn't a pathetic little suck-up like batista.

8. Salty Registered Senior Member

Sucking up gave Cuba, prosperity and peace. There werent thousands of Imigrants risking thier lives over the cuba-florida water way just to leave taht country.

9. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

put yourself in their position. maybe you like the leader of your country being a puppet. i sure don't.

10. Salty Registered Senior Member

I live in florida, I talk to Cubans. They prefer the puppet alot more. Guy that sucks up to the USA and gets us foriegn aid and tries to get free trade vs. Somebody that kills hundreds of us insalves the rest. Hmmmm tuff call.

11. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

The US won't attack Cuba. Cuba became a non-factor the day the USSR imploded. Personally, I wish the administration would lift the sanctions. I'd like to visit the island myself. One of my neighbors is Cuban, and she does some serious ethnic cooking. I'd love to hit some of those Havana restaurants in a sanctions-free Cuba.

12. Salty Registered Senior Member

You can still go, go to mexico then fly to Cuba. Just don't say anything bad about Castro or how much capatlism is better.

Its funny they have an economic sanction on them yet they still use the American dollar

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Other then thats its sorta sad. The land is so fertile but nobody grows anything. There is no point in fixing up your homes or anything either.

13. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I'm not so sure a normal U.S. citizen can visit Cuba. In fact, i'm very sure that you can't. Not with american passports and papers. You need to be a doctor, a scientist attending a very important conference, a humanitarian aid worker with specific business, a family member who's visiting a family member who's due to die any day now.. things like that

I believe free trade between the USA and Cuba would benefit us both. Back before the RED SCARE in the 50's, people used to visit Cuba all the time, much like people in the US goes to Cancun in mexico for holiday/vacation...

14. Salty Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah my friend was a doctor.

15. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Cuba is proof the US isn’t concerned about ruthless dictatorship. I’m sure the sanctions will work eventually. Give it another century. If Cuba had oil they’d have been “liberated” by now.

16. Salty Registered Senior Member

So are you saying the United States should take out Castro and his regime right as soon as possible?

17. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

If Fidel's Cuba strarted a "WMD" program and set up terrorist training camps (again), we would give Fidel 12 years warning before going in, but Fidel would have assumed room temperature by then.

18. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

Castro probably won't be alive in 12 years, he's getting pretty old. I suspect the CIA is waiting for the chaos of a power strugle after Castro's death, before they move to regime change. Also, as for the executions think of it this way: If there was a group of people inside america whose goal was to kill the president and commit terrorism, and some of them were caught, would they not be executed or imprisoned for treason?

19. Salty Registered Senior Member

I don't think chlidren would be able to assinate the United States president.

20. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

For a dictator Castro don't seem so bad.
    He's not in the same league as Saddam and Mugabe. He honestly seems to care about his people. A benevolent dictator if you like.
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if all US sanctions were lifted.
    America should let go of the past and give this little social experiment a chance.

Dee Cee

21. katavan Guest

Lets stimulate the conversation a bit more.

Is Cuba the only Latin American country not heavily in debt to the World Bank, IMF and US AID?

Comments, opinions.

22. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Go get 'em boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Vienna Registered Senior Member

Why not, it would make a change to see America start a war outside the middle-east.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.