Sars

Discussion in 'World Events' started by N-lightened-1, Apr 25, 2003.

1. N-lightened-1 Registered Member

Shows up a (day!) before we attack Iraq.... Hmm, and in China of all places (China claimed it was Iraq's "friend", and possibly might of been able to change the outcome of the war). Just seems a little odd to me.. I mean how hard could it be to genetically alter a simple organism as pneumonia..?
    Crazy circumstance? Or, (pre-war flexing)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Salty Registered Senior Member

I dunno I don't think people would make a weapon and unleash it on themselves.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

What is it with China and disease??
    It seems like every anual flu "epidemic" always starts in China, and now SARS!
    Perhaps SARS escaped by acident from a Chinese bioweapons lab, or, since most of the victims are oriental (I hear no US citizen has died of it) perhaps it is an evil scheme by idiot Bush to clense the earth of lessor races?
    In any case, the people of Bejing are verging on panic, leading to marshal law (does spelun count?). I hear many are fleeing Bejing against the wishes of the party.
    Fasten your seat belts. This could be a bumpy ride.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

There's a thread re:SARS in the biology forum..check it out.

Anyway, flus and stuff coem from china because of all the people in a small area. It just happens. Also, it's hardly dangerous. I forget the official numbers but the death rate is something like 2.5%

Don't worry about it!

8. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Rappaport

Personally, I'm enjoying Jon Rappaport's tantrums about SARS at NoMoreFakeNews.
    I actually can't find a couple of the articles I read the other day in which he asserted a certain lack of science, a reasonable assertion, in the SARS investigation: science by press conference. And there's also apparently a tale of an apartment complex, the Amoy Gardens. I mean, look at this:
    Here's the thing, and I'm looking for a reference on it right now:

- Apparently, the "SARS" at Amoy Gardens was any number of diseases which could have been passed through the sewage pipes. So the story goes--and this is what I need a reference for (I might have to buy Rappaport's premium content)--the outbreak stopped as soon as the contaminated sewage pipes were shut down. In other words, no airborne contact, and only theories of direct contact and transferrence from inanimate objects, as well as cockroaches suffice to suggest SARS, whatever it is or isn't, as opposed to any number of diseases available in sewage that might more readily explain the diarrhea.

I'm going to pre-emptively blame the media. No, wait, I can't. Oh, wait. Yes I can.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!