Did anyone play Risk as a kid

Discussion in 'World Events' started by robsaunders, Apr 25, 2003.

1. robsaunders Registered Member

...it was one of my favourite boardgames.

Hold that thought.

Now, does anyone think that there has been an awful lot of talk in the past 20 years about 'special relationships' in the context of the USA and the UK?

Does anyone think that from a purely pragmatic point of view, that this, (slightly ridiculous looking) pair have taken some rather bizarre stances in these two decades?

Does anyone feel a little uneasy with all this talk of
    "freedom-loving peoples"
    "a moral cause"
    "doing God's work"
    "....the visionaries within the administration......."

Visionaries.......would you let someone who is hallucinating, operate dangerous machinery........

"new Agenda's for the 21st century"
    "terrorism"

Does anyone see any kind of strange parallel between the United Kingdom's fiddlings in the Indian/Pakistan/Afghani region, and, well more recent events?

Is there a parallel with the UK's involvement in the middle-east/Aden/Iraq/etc etc etc......and, well, more recent events. I can't see the detail at all.....but is there a pattern?

Has anyone heard rumours about all sorts of exotic sounding Anglo-American foundations, many of which are surprisingly secretive and have either, rather astonishingly prominent names, or more often, names one would never have reason to recognise, but who very often represent some of the most powerful entities in either country?

Would anyone else like to know more about these relationships, and these "shared goals and visions"?

Now....where is that game................

RS

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

This is a "World Eevents & Politics" forum!!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. robsaunders Registered Member

...er.....thank you, but I know that.

Perhaps if you read my post again..........

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Used to play weekend marathons of Risk. We played Double Risk using two boards side by side. What a game; only in Risk could someone start a war coming from Indonesia and actually conquer the world. I always won because I wore special psychtronic binocular glasses when I played so that I could zap my opponents with beams when they rolled the dice. It made their hand go limp and roll low numbers.

8. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

Yeah. Take it to the games forum.

9. heflores Banned Banned

The use of all the above makes me get so angry that I'm starting to think that I need phsycological attention. I can't stand the "doing god's work" and "visionaries" most of all. My blood pressure is already elevating just thinking about these themes.

The main problem is with those visionaries is that they don't recognize that their sight extent to a certain distance, right before the cliff suddenly drops to eternal fall.

10. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

Then you should not let robsaunders jerk you around.

11. heflores Banned Banned

I can jerk 500 robsaunders and say " Thank you sir, can I have some more".

Thanks for the concern though.

12. bhudmaash Banned Banned

I agree with rob. Historically, where ever the Brits have been, they've fucked things up before leaving.

....can't quite remember the game "risk".....as a kid I was heavily into my Star Wars figures.

13. robsaunders Registered Member

But Bhuudmaash

...its not just what happened back in the imperial/colonial times...its just it seems to me that recently, the USA suddenly seems to have 'inherited' the legacy from these two regions in particular.

..maybe I'm showing my age with the reference to Risk.

RS

14. bhudmaash Banned Banned

rob, this is one of my earlier posts:

Raise your glasses......
    We are now entering the "New American Century" as decreed by PNAC, well actually it's the old American century re-packaged, re-spun and delivered in digestable soundbites ready for the Playstation generation (hell even Madonna re-invents herself, so why not the greatest democracy, [I mean PLUTOCRACY] on earth?). Colonialism never died out, it's very much alive and kicking. The American dictionary of Geo-politics has duly been updated, where no definiton/expalanation/interpretation is accepted other than those contained in this version. And so the message shall be continued to be spread : America is whiter than white, purer than pure, always right and beyond reproach. Years of oppression of a race were merely a test phase whilst perfecting the blueprint of the American dream. And so...raise your glasses..and say with vigour: "might is right"...if you have the might, then surely you must be right.

15. robsaunders Registered Member

Bhuudmaash

yeppp......thats it.....the language thats being used.....its freaky.

The new, all-white, super-bright (fundamentalist) Christian era....the gloves are off boys. This has been wanted for so long....and then the Clinton era gave them the perfect counter-foil and atmosphere.

But the British - is it as simple as that - we want to be with you, we prefer your side, you guys look so much more like us anyway.

16. bhudmaash Banned Banned

...rob, I think that ol' Tony had no choice...I think that Bush has some really nasty photos of Blair's wife....

17. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

Hey I dont wanna sound negative or anything , but I really hate risk and its risk players , I do not wanna generalize but the risk players Ive known were exactly those small little greedy for power people who want more of everything always , shit I was so prejudiced just because of them I never learned to play the game .

Now for a historic perspective of a certain line of events and happenings in the mid-east :

2003 :
    -USA Occupation of Iraq
    -USA occupation of Afghan
    -Israeli Occupation of Palestine
    -War in Kashmir because (as effect of the cause) of illogical Paki--India borders for the benefit of UK Imperialists(since the Pakistani division from Brittish India) .
    -Dictatorial slave-regimes like Saudi , Kuweit , Qatar (Al Jazeera hurted alot

) to the benefit of USA-Euro oil biz for the last 80 years (first Euro then both).

Result : Worldwide Islamic Terrorism . Ofcourse this is just recent , lets not forget :

-USA gulf 1 + 12 years of boycots starving the people of Iraq killing 1M children
    -28 years if Ba'ath murderous regime fighting the battle of USA , in opposition of Communism (Sovyet) & Islamism (Iran-Shiaa)
    -Brittish creation of Iraq after 30 years occupation of Arabia , dividing the people of Arabia into strategical pieces of land in favor of Imperialistic powers . Each and every post-Turk Arab & islamic conflict is the direct or indirect result of these divisions (from israel to Indonesia)
    -Brittish betrayal of Arabs to fight the Turk occupier for independance , only to be re-occupied by Brits & French after ww1 .

Thats Arabia after ww1 , and I could go on and on and on ......Id say a historical relation between then and now is more than obvious .

I would like to quote the following words of my man UBL :

As for the first question: Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple:

(1) Because you attacked us and continue to attack us.

a) You attacked us in Palestine:

(i) Palestine, which has sunk under military occupation for more than 80 years. The British handed over Palestine, with your help and your support, to the Jews, who have occupied it for more than 50 years; years overflowing with oppression, tyranny, crimes, killing, expulsion, destruction and devastation. The creation and continuation of Israel is one of the greatest crimes, and you are the leaders of its criminals. And of course there is no need to explain and prove the degree of American support for Israel. The creation of Israel is a crime which must be erased. Each and every person whose hands have become polluted in the contribution towards this crime must pay its*price, and pay for it heavily.

(ii) It brings us both laughter and tears to see that you have not yet tired of repeating your fabricated lies that the Jews have a historical right to Palestine, as it was promised to them in the Torah. Anyone who disputes with them on this alleged fact is accused of anti-semitism. This is one of the most fallacious, widely-circulated fabrications in history. The people of Palestine are pure Arabs and original Semites. It is the Muslims who are the inheritors of Moses (peace be upon him) and the inheritors of the real Torah that has not been changed. Muslims believe in all of the Prophets, including Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad, peace and blessings of Allah be upon them all. If the followers of Moses have been promised a right to Palestine in the Torah, then the Muslims are the most worthy nation of this.

When the Muslims conquered Palestine and drove out the Romans, Palestine and Jerusalem returned to Islaam, the religion of all the Prophets peace be upon them. Therefore, the call to a historical right to Palestine cannot be raised against the Islamic Ummah that believes in all the Prophets of Allah (peace and blessings be upon them) - and we make no distinction between them.

(iii) The blood pouring out of Palestine must be equally revenged. You must know that the Palestinians do not cry alone; their women are not widowed alone; their sons are not orphaned alone.

(b) You attacked us in Somalia; you supported the Russian atrocities against us in Chechnya, the Indian oppression against us in Kashmir, and the Jewish aggression against us in Lebanon.

(c) Under your supervision, consent and orders, the governments of our countries which act as your agents, attack us on a daily basis;

(i) These governments prevent our people from establishing the Islamic Shariah, using violence and lies to do so.

(ii) These governments give us a taste of humiliation, and places us in a large prison of fear and subdual.

(iii) These governments steal our Ummah's wealth and sell them to you at a paltry price.

(iv) These governments have surrendered to the Jews, and handed them most of Palestine, acknowledging the existence of their state over the dismembered limbs of their own people.

(v) The removal of these governments is an obligation upon us, and a necessary step to free the Ummah, to make the Shariah the supreme law and to regain Palestine. And our fight against these governments is not separate from out fight against you.

(d) You steal our wealth and oil at paltry prices because of you international influence and military threats. This theft is indeed the biggest theft ever witnessed by mankind in the history of the world.

(e) Your forces occupy our countries; you spread your military bases throughout them; you corrupt our lands, and you besiege our sanctities, to protect the security of the Jews and to ensure the continuity of your pillage of our treasures.

(f) You have starved the Muslims of Iraq, where children die every day. It is a wonder that more than 1.5 million Iraqi children have died as a result of your sanctions, and you did not show concern. Yet when 3000 of your people died, the entire world rises and has not yet sat down.

(g) You have supported the Jews in their idea that Jerusalem is their eternal capital, and agreed to move your embassy there. With your help and under your protection, the Israelis are planning to destroy the Al-Aqsa mosque. Under the protection of your weapons, Sharon entered the Al-Aqsa mosque, to pollute it as a preparation to capture and destroy it.

(2) These tragedies and calamities are only a few examples of your oppression and aggression against us. It is commanded by our religion and intellect that the oppressed have a right to return the aggression. Do not await anything from us but Jihad, resistance and revenge. Is it in any way rational to expect that after America has attacked us for more than half a century, that we will then leave her to live in security and peace?!!

(3) You may then dispute that all the above does not justify aggression against civilians, for crimes they did not commit and offenses in which they did not partake:

(a) This argument contradicts your continuous repetition that America is the land of freedom, and its leaders in this world. Therefore, the American people are the ones who choose their government by way of their own free will; a choice which stems from their agreement to its policies. Thus the American people have chosen, consented to, and affirmed their support for the Israeli oppression of the Palestinians, the occupation and usurpation of their land, and its continuous killing, torture, punishment and expulsion of the Palestinians. The American people have the ability and choice to refuse the policies of their Government and even to change it if they want.

(b) The American people are the ones who pay the taxes which fund the planes that bomb us in Afghanistan, the tanks that strike and destroy our homes in Palestine, the armies which occupy our lands in the Arabian Gulf, and the fleets which ensure the blockade of Iraq. These tax dollars are given to Israel for it to continue to attack us and penetrate our lands. So the American people are the ones who fund the attacks against us, and they are the ones who oversee the expenditure of these monies in the way they wish, through their elected candidates.

(c) Also the American army is part of the American people. It is this very same people who are shamelessly helping the Jews fight against us.

(d) The American people are the ones who employ both their men and their women in the American Forces which attack us.

(e) This is why the American people cannot be not innocent of all the crimes committed by the Americans and Jews against us.

(f) Allah, the Almighty, legislated the permission and the option to take revenge. Thus, if we are attacked, then we have the right to attack back. Whoever has destroyed our villages and towns, then we have the right to destroy their villages and towns. Whoever has stolen our wealth, then we have the right to destroy their economy. And whoever has killed our civilians, then we have the right to kill theirs.

Only when people understand why other people desire them to live in fear as a subject of conscious terrorism , only when people understand that they themselves are in power of creating motivation for conscious terrorism , only when people will understand reasonably that what they do is not to be accepted , only then will they try and do something about it .

18. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Aw, don't act so 'holier than though', AM. It was a fucking board game is all. We used to play it in between operations back on the base. Wouldn't you rather see us Yankee wardogs playing a simple board game during down time than out raping the locals and terrorizing the neighborhood?

19. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

Risk is awesome. But Risk 2210 is even better. It has a moon and under water colonies. And special bomb cards. :m: