WMD

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Vienna, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Vienna Registered Senior Member

So....... where are they?

Not one illegal warhead. Not one drum of chemicals. Not one incriminating document. Not one shred of evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction in more than a month of war and occupation.

Last edited: May 6, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think this is Saddam's victory he was talking about. WMD are one of the few ways the administration can justify the war, and if they don't find any, well, he gets the last laugh, even if he stops laughing to choke on the brimstone fumes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. heflores Banned Banned

You will be surprised with the justifications that Bush will give when he is campaigning for the next election. And no matter how lame, people here will cheer for him.. Somehow I have became pessimistic over the whole thing. It seems that the people of the US...specially the uneducated white trash class...support Bush unconditionally regardless of the realities of the situation.....and considering our failed education system, I see a future of numb headed americans who are always going to believe that water can naturally go uphill.....

By the people, for the people.....yeah right.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

What was more significant to me in what heflores wrote was that American ignorance of realities around them is a larger problem than the "system" itself. Government "by the people", even if it were factually true, would still be problematic whenever the people become collectively out of touch with reality.

8. heflores Banned Banned

The WMDs...UUhhh. We are sure they exist because we said that so many times so it must be true. Maybe we can try to look for them again in 5 years if the leader that we appoint does not turn to be of our liking. We can also accuse them in five years of hiding Saddam Hussein, since we'll make it a point to never find his body.

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

It’s not that the masses are inherently “dumb”. I think that humans, in general, need desperately to “belong”. They get a sense of security. We are SOCIAL beings and we would sacrifice true personal freedom (and freedom of thought) to avoid loneliness. -- Sorry to go off topic..

10. kathaksung Banned Banned

They'll create something to justify this war

They will find WMD. If there is none, they'll create one. Otherwise how can Bush justify this war? It's not the time yet. When Saddam is eliminated and nobody can defend them, when they found the right person to be a volunteer "witness" (as they right now claimed), evidence will emerge, I can assure you. They can use fake evidence to start a war, what else can't they do?

Some Evidence on Iraq Called Fake
    U.N. Nuclear Inspector Says Documents on Purchases Were Forged
    By Joby Warrick
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, March 8, 2003; Page A01

A key piece of evidence linking Iraq to a nuclear weapons program appears to have been fabricated, the United Nations' chief nuclear inspector said yesterday in a report that called into question U.S. and British claims about Iraq's secret nuclear ambitions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59403-2003Mar7.html

11. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

Well, Saddam has no WMD's..sorry
    folks.
    Try Anniston,Alabama- they have
    several air hangers full of old chemical
    warheads and other wmd's.
    They wanted to burn some of the
    unstable wmd but the good people
    of Anniston freaked.
    Do a google search of Anniston, Alabama
    and biological weapons....it beats reading
    "the Stand" by Steven King. Very frightning.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2003
  12. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

I live in Georgia- a 11/2 hour drive from Anniston.
    One plane crash and you can forget about it.
    Not many people want to talk about it...

13. kathaksung Banned Banned

1. The fact is Saddam had never applied bio-chemical weapon on Coalition army. Even he was defeated, probably killed. If he was accused of having such weapon, what's the meaning for owning it? Keeping it secret so let Bush playing a hide and seek after war?

2. Bush started a war not on evidence but on belief as fact proves now. Even if the WMD may be found later, it's still a belief proved later, not evidence on hold in advance. It's dangerous. What "patriot Act" does is the same. Government authorized themselves the power to search people secretly without warrent, only on their suspicion.

3. The WMD is only an accusation of invasion, not the real purpose. N.Korea is announced having WMD. From Tapodon Missils to atomic bomb. While Iraq had none. You can see the different treatment they got.

14. jps Valued Senior Member

If Saddam had weapons of mass destruction before the war began(which I think is rather unlikely, at least in any quantity worth mentioning) then I think they are likely to be a far greater threat to us now that they're just out there. Instead of them being in the hands on one brutal dictator who knew the risks of using them they may well now be in the hands of a few looters, or al qaeda, or maybe saddam found another country willing to buy them when the war began.

15. Compose! Registered Member

i'm not sure if i understand why he would have hidden the WMDs... i mean would he not use them while his country is taken over and everyone around him is either dead or humiliated? all that just to cover a lie? wasn't the purpose for them to have WMDs in the first place was to defend themselves? i think he had WMDs, just forgot where he put it

16. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

What about this likely scenario:
    I Iraq had WMD, US would not have invaded (at least that quickly). Maybe they already knew that Iraq did not have any even though they argued the case that Iraq did have WMD. They also knew that by this time, no one would care about US being wrong. If U.S.A. was sure that Saddam had WMD, ground forces wouldn’t have been sent in that quickly.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Remember ... Hussein's a weird guy

It's entirely possible. Al Hallaj, tortured and crucified in the manner of one of his role models--Jesus Christ--in Baghdad in the tenth century, is said in certain subjective records to have genuinely forgiven his oppressors. He believed he was Truth; as the saying goes, I saw my Lord with the eye of the heart. I said: "Who art Thou?" He answered "Thou."

Saddam Hussein need not be a saint in order for various ideas in the Islamic world to rub off on him. We in the west set apparently different goals and apply apparently different methods (though it is well-asserted by some that these are in fact, two sides of the same coin, cube, or dodecahedron). What enemies the US chooses among the Islamic world bear sharp fundamental differences of paradigm. Look at the flak Bill Maher took after 9/11; but he was right in one sense--whatever it is these guys were after, dying was worth it to them. That seems very difficult for most Americans to grasp, though I swear the idea existed among the propaganda I received as a youth coming to love the noble, free America that age teaches me was only a myth.

But consider for a moment the idea of the atheist in the American culture. Why does an atheist often respond to common social standards that happen to be Judeo-Christian in origin? For not all atheists are hedonists, not all atheists are immoral savages; but I would ask an atheist (for instance): Why do we write "special" legislation to "allow" nudity? (e.g. Nude beach, clothing-optional codes in some town registers.) Whence, aside from Genesis, comes this strange idea? In the US, it is primarily a symptom of post-Puritan moralism based on a vague and under-established notion of God. In our merciful, loving (heh!) US, we have justified the mercies of atomic warfare and economic subjugation by some vague appeal to higher cause. What I'm after here is that even for the atheist, notions of God in America can affect your decisions whether you recognize it or not.

Likewise, in what version of the Muslim world did Hussein grow? In a rather desperate, violent, and exploitative one. I can't read the man's mind by any means, but there does exist the outside possibility that, yes, he chose to stand on pride and make a legitimate martyr of himself according to some standard that we don't understand. He knows he can't win this war, but the one thing he can still work toward is not losing it entirely. He may go down, but if he wounds The Beast by taking with him whatever part of its reputation Bush hasn't raped, the circumstance suggests that it wouldn't be a total loss for him.

Now I can't say this is a true and legitimate notion, but even I can envision the value of having Bush on a wild-goose chase in the middle of nowhere. And if I can think of it, than anyone capable of holding a nation for decades can figure it out. What value he puts on that principle cannot reasonably be speculated outside the barest notions of possibility.
    A frequent lament of mine, when the subject comes up, is the problem Christians (for instance) have meeting their advertised standard. For all the mercy and love I hear about associated with Christianity, I've never found it anywhere among the flock.

Comparatively, I would say that this doesn't surprise me because most of the Christians I know are Americans, and the repeated failure to uphold one's values is equally American.

Seriously: I was spoon-fed the noble America leads the world against dark Communism ideology of the Cold War. Even busting that lie in my conscience there still existed the foundations of that beautiful idea of all the good things a nation might be and bring. I will hold out until the idea is dead, but I must admit, I've never seen it quite so wounded as it is now among my American neighbors. Honesty, integrity, good faith, good character, nobility, propriety, justice--these words among others have become nearly criminal. Remember that seeking honesty in a government is lending assistance to your enemies. We are expected, in order to not be treasonous, to simply line up and wait for the next bandwagon. What will it be, what will it be? Iran is planning to take over California? Let's blow the bastards sky high! North Korea is planning to vaporize Hawaii? Let's mince around some more and bargain.
    The last thing the Bush administration wants is a real war for real reasons in which our forces might suffer substantial casualties. My president is a coward; not because he won't fight North Korea, but because he will fight in less vital arenas based on the positive kill-ratio outlook.

It looks like Saddam Hussein's primary sin was to not be dangerous enough. If Bush ever truly thought the guy could hurt us severely, we would not have sent our troops to play ringmaster.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!