Hearing my sister's breathing constantly

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TauntedByDemons, Apr 25, 2003.

1. TauntedByDemons Registered Member

well, this is a little strange, but a couple days ago I heard my sister breathing and making noises in her room, and as a curious teenager, I went to listen. For the past few days, I've listened to determine what she was doing, and I suspected that she was masturbating, and I confirmed it last night because she was pretty loud, and people don't do the heaving breathing/moaning/gasping thing except during arousal/orgasm. so I listened for a few hours just to make sure, and I had to strain to hear it over the sound of the TV downstairs, then upstairs, and also the sound of water running through pipes occasionally, through my door, across the hall, into her door which is across from mine. I dont know why, but if I listen from inside my room to the crack in the door, it sounds almost as if the breathing is right on the other side of my door and not on her bed (other sounds are hard to hear though).

anyway, I confirmed that so I don't feel like listening anymore, but for some reason, I can still hear the breathing kinda quietly in my right ear (even though i was listening with my left ear to the door). The breathing is strange, because it's quiet, like the volume I heard it through the door, but also its erratic. It's not like a pulse or anything. sometimes it's fast, sometimes slower, sometimes it pauses, like when she would swallor or something, and very rarely I can hear a slight moaning as it exhales. There's nobody else in the house though, right now. it's mostly just bothering me, having the noise in my ear all the time, lol. it hasn't been 24 hours since I listened, so it might go away soon, but still, any ideas on why it's happening or how to fix it?

My theory is that my ears grew accostomed to desiphering the noise of her breathing out of the many other noises interfering, including the water pipe which acted as white noise. an airplane just flew over, and the breathing got louder until I identified it as a jet engine and not breathing. so maybe any sound that is remotely like breathing, such as the wind outside, is being identified by my ears or brain as the sound of aroused breathing.

Very interesting, I've never heard of anything like this before. Interesting, but annoying. I hope it stops soon =)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

What it sounds like is that you are having an auditory hallucination, especially when you say no one's in the house. Although this is abnormal, it's not uncommon.

I don't want to scare you, but these types of instances are symptoms to what is known as Schizophrenia. Just because you are hearing things doesn't mean you have Schizophrenia however; your average Joe can hear things that aren't there, such as someone saying your name in the crowd.

If this is the first time you've had a hallucination, I'd dismiss it. If it persists for more than a month, get yourself checked out. If what's happening now is deeply disturbing you, get checked out now.

Here are things I'd pay attention to:

-continued hallucinations
    -the circumstances when you first heard the breathing (substances? recent medications? anxieties?)
    -instances of paranoia
    -inadequate display of emotions
    -withdrawing from social contact
    -strange thoughts about your sister
    -other bizzare thoughts
    -ask your family members if they've noticed any recent changes in you.

Again, I'm not saying you have Schizophrenia, but if you do the earlier the treatment the better. I am not a doctor, but I am a mental health counselor and work with people who have this disorder.

The following sites are education on schizophrenia

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/schizmenu.cfm
    http://www.schizophrenia.com/
    http://www.schizophrenia.com/newsletter/buckets/diag.html

Take care,
    Xenu

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TauntedByDemons Registered Member

Hey, cool! Thanks for the information Xenu. I think it's going away though, I heard it a little bit, but i know for sure now that it's coming from me hearing a noise, but interpereting it as breathing or moaning. white noise is particularly good for this, and I can pick out a few different kinds of breathing, moaning, and even the bed creaking out of it, lol. I heard the breathing, and then I focused on it and locked onto one pitch of the noise (it was the fan at the time) and it seems like the fan emites a wide range of pitches, and somehow my ears kinda scroll through them all so they sound like breathing.

I do hope it's not schizophrenia though. I've heard it usually starts at this age. As long as its not telling me to burn things or something, it's not bad though. It's all but gone already, though, so that's good.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i was wondering if its simply a case of something u WANT to forget so its stuck in ur head

for example i doubt i would be able to get the thought out of my head if i walked in on my parents or something

could it just be a sound version of that?

8. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Could be, Asguard.

But even a schizophrenic hallucination has meaning to that person. There's usually a background to what's being heard/seen.

Taunted,

I'm glad to hear that they are going away. If they do reappear see what the circumstances around that time.

The noise interpretation thing is common with all types of hallucinations. For example, even people I've known who have had schizophrenia say hallucinations are worse when mowing the lawn or in the shower (when there's a constant unchanging noise). They also tend to distract themselves using headphones, to drown out the sounds.

9. valentino Registered Senior Member

I agree with Asguard, there are things I've seen and immediately wanted to forget but would randomly pop up in my thoughts for the next few weeks. Of course now typing this, those exact images are extremely vivid and gross so I'll go do something else.

10. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

are you sick? you actually waited and listened to your sister masturbate for a few hours? if i heard my brother doing that i would've puked right there.

11. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

You got a healthy curious brain!!! Maybe it's a little triggerhappy lately and you kind of want to hear/see sexual acts everywhere the wish is maybe the father of the thought here....

These things happening at the boundery of the consciousness are far more exciting than looking at beavershots, i am a voyeur all the way! I've caught many females masturbating at work, public transportation, everywhere.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!