Noam Chomsky

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Nebuchadnezzaar, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

I was not sure where to put this thread, here goes.

I've been reading alot of articles and books by NC for the past month or so. His thoughts on a vast range of political and social topics struck a chord with me more than most if any writers have in recent memory. Does anybody share my admiration for the works of NC? furthermore do you have any reccomendations of his best works/writings so that i might read them, or of any scholars who share similar view points to his own?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. foadi Registered Senior Member

I hate that guy.

- Rex Kahili

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I love him too. I was introduced to his ideas at the beginning of my freshman year, and whenever I've used his various interviews to counter claims made by conservatives they merely claim that he's a communist and an america basher. Both of which he is not. There's this great program on him I saw, these two videos I got from my awesome spanish teacher that took her like a year to find. In an interview with them, he believed that all americans had the power to see the truth, that they were not morons, but that they simply believed too much in the media and our elitist society.

Have you read the Propaganda Model put forth by Chomsky and Herman? Classic stuff, should be required material. It really changed my life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Why? One of the greatest thinkers in the modern world, in my book. What's your problem?

ron.

8. Carmagio Registered Senior Member

He seems to be villified by a large number of Americans, probably has something to do with what a lot of people consider his anti-american stand.

Personally I think he's a genius and an incredible thinker.

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I haven't read much of the guys work. What I can say is the following:

He is undoubtedly an intelligent man. Has a lot of good points and is able to back them with somewhat reasonable facts. And beyond that, he holds a fairly international perspective on the world. -A very important thing.

What I don't like is how he seems to 'squeeze ' in little tidbits of material or opinions by backing them up with semi-connected trivialities. Like - forming a connection between some guy something to do with oil (which many things can find their roots in,) or emphasizing some things which are actually of less importance, but hold real value in the bricks. What's the word...not quite manipulative, but very...cunning. His arguments almost seem to be built up on swiss cheese-clay, with many pockets of air, but still able to maintain structural integrity because the weight of the arguments are distributed. And plus, the fact there are all these 'bubbles' keeps his arguments very tensile, but tough. Keep in mind, I'm not using any specific examples from his work. It would be kind of hard for me to explain this to someone who see's thing out of context. And besides, it's complex beyond all boundaries. I could never really prove something like this. It's just a here-and-there type thing that really buffers his argument and gives it an edge. I admire it in a way, because he can captivate the average reader and mold them. Be he right, or wrong.

I may be wrong considering the volume I've analyzed. Just my 2 cents.

10. foadi Registered Senior Member

He is a statist pig. He claims to be an anarchist, but is actually one of the biggest commie bastards on the planet. Him, his comrades, and followers have begged (Protested) the Costa Rican state to ban prostitution. Prostitution is my occupation. How would you feel if someone was trying to make your profession illegal?

- Sha'uri de la Asca (Real name)

11. jps Valued Senior Member

Chomskys a brilliant man, I like his writings a lot.

A book of his that I found really informative was "Profit Over People:neoliberalism and global order"
    especially the parts about the evolution of modern corporations.

He's hard to pigeon-hole, I think he's usualy considered a libertarian-anarchist though.

My one major qualm with him is that his writing and speaking styles are not always very accessible to people who don't have a background in politics.
    This is a fairly important factor for a leftist writer, as those who are most harshly impacted by the policys he critiques most often do not have this background.
    This is the reason, I think, that a lot of his books(more recent ones especially) are composed of interviews with him(a lot I've seen by David Barsamian) which are great, but leave out a lot of his more complex original thinking in my opinion.

12. jps Valued Senior Member

Are you serious? That seems very out of character for him. Can you provide a link or source for this information?

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I approach Chomsky like any thoughful person's expressions I run across: His point of view is always worth careful consideration, whether you agree with the sum total of his perspectives or not.

It's always amusing to watch statusquoniks recoil in horror from him-"Anarchist!" "Communist!" "Leftist!" "CunningLinguist!"

It's also disappointing how many unfairly dismiss the insight he offers. Especially when he talks about Mideast affairs, I hear a lot of good simple common sense that transcends the rampant pigeonholing and partisanship, that those too lazy to approach and understand the issues are continually muddying the waters with.

Here are a few places for a Chomsky fix:

Znet Mideast Transcripts
    Znet Various Transcripts (click "Noam Chomsky" in the QuickJump menu)
    Montclair.edu Various Streaming Lectures

14. foadi Registered Senior Member

No. I didn't learn about it on the internet. If there was something about it on the internet, it would be it would be in spanish.

- Sha'uri de la Asca

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Well, if you're recoiling by labelling me a 'statusquonik', then what does that make you?

By the way, I'm very amused.
    Me:
    You:
    I agree.

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"if you're recoiling by labelling me a 'statusquonik' "

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

no, there's obviously hope for you.

18. jps Valued Senior Member

can't find anything in any language.

19. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Right or wrong Chomsky has to be heard by more people if only to demonstrate the need for diverse opinion. We wouldn't be in this mess if people exercised their right to think without xenophobia more than the right to speech they go on about, .:m:
    People are quick to praise or tear apart someone elses thoughts in the name of free speech ...how about building your own thoughts?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  20. I Like Pencils I'll send you to Heaven. Registered Senior Member

I like Chomsky. I enjoy listening, or reading from anyone who holds an alternative view on things. It’s entertaining.

But I especially like people who take a stance like Chomsky, but take it completely over the top like. I suggest anyone look up the works on David Icke.

He talks about 12 foot lizards who can transform into anything they like. These beings are currently holding all the high political positions of the world, and hold major roles in the worlds leading banks, and oil companies. In fact, he takes every conspiracy theory you think of and blends them all into one. Great entertainment.

21. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

On David Icke

I've had a look at his website. It seems pretty nutty, but the one thing that intrigued me was this--

Can anyone confirm it? I know who Charlemagne was.

22. I Like Pencils I'll send you to Heaven. Registered Senior Member

I remember reading that, but I’ve never seen any proof. The guy is nutty. When I say he tries to take every conspiracy theory and blend it into one I mean it.

23. Prisme Speak of Ideas, not of things Registered Senior Member

3 Dj's and one NC

The only reason some people hate him is because he's european and that his theory concerning language (which made him more than famous) is a kick in the knickers to all of those that believe that language is acquired by somekind of "bs"(<-- my adding) evolutionary theory miraculously only specific and applicable to our species.

Prisme

I think he's cool.

P.S.
    I have the chance to read French books and I was lucky enough to read a very popular book in Europe: "Le livre jaune n'5", there is also n'6 that is out, and these books also mention that many presidents of democratic countries are often related (directly or indirectly). Thus the thoery that only a minute number of super-powerfull families control the world is not exclusively 'Chomskist'.

Last edited: May 2, 2003