President-for-Life?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by jps, Apr 22, 2003.

?

Would you support a President-for-Life from you political party

1. Yes, I would support a republican permanent president

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Yes, I would support a democrat permanent president

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  4. I would only support a president for life if it was me

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. jps Valued Senior Member

I was just contemplating the fact that devotees of the two big political parties in this country(by and large) seem willing to support anything or anyone that their party does.

Did Republicans ask Bush to step down after he stole his election and undermined the US democracy?
    Of course not
    Did Democrats ask Kennedy to step down after he stole his?
    nope.

Did Democrats turn against Clinton when he basically abandoned his campaign promises and pursued his middle of the road liberal republican platform?
    nope, they went right along with him.

Are Republicans up in arms about Bush's repealing the bill of rights given the parties long history of claiming to be against big government?
    nope, again, they went right along with him.

I began to wonder just how far this goes, so my question is, for Democrats and Republicans, would you support a President from your party making himself president for life? Say, Clinton for the dems, Bush for the reps?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Heck no. A president for life would end up being a saddam look alike, committing suicide, or being assasinated. No good would come of it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Good lord no...a president like Bush for life....i shutter at the mere thought of it. Now Bill i wouldn't mind...actually it wouldn'r be possible since the poor guy wh oruns the US would die from stress.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

Sargentlard, maybe you can explain this to me...why do people like you hate the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES? I'm not saying you don't have a right to, because, by all means, you do, but he is in control of 290,779,918 people. I would LOVE to see you try to do that. Maybe he's not the brightest guy in the world, but hey, he sure is trying. (Have you noticed how gray is hair has gotten since he was inagurated? And it's not from age...)

8. jps Valued Senior Member

Really? we're officially a dictatorship now? since when?

9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you could explain how he 'stole' this election. What happened appears to be totally legal, and is well in support of democracy. According to our system of elections, he won far and square.

10. jps Valued Senior Member

Persol,
    y'know, I don't really want to get into a debate about whether or not he stole the election, I'm well aware that there's no proof either way, and that "legally" he won. All democrats that I know believe that he stole the election and that Kennedy did not steal his. All Republicans that I know(yes, I know some) believe that Bush did not steal his election and that Kennedy did steal his.
    I still maintain that they both stole their elections.
    you can disregard the election stealing part of my post if you want. i think the point still holds

Last edited: Apr 23, 2003
  11. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

I would love to be the permnant us president. I would probably do as well as bush but I wouldn't really want the job. It is not worth it.

12. Salty Registered Senior Member

Once a president is in for life thought It dosen't matter what party he is from.

13. ben nevis Registered Senior Member

A life president would become an ego maniac and dictator. Or is that the case now?

14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I must admit that I'm a bit curious.

If there is no proof that Bush stole the election and if you freely admit that the he won legally, how can you justify even making the claim that he came to power by illegitimate means?

15. jps Valued Senior Member

It seems pretty clear to me that he didn't actually win the election as he didn 't get as many votes as gore in florida. What he did was have his buddies on the supreme court order some votes not to be counted. The Supreme Court decides what is legal or not in our country and therefore the vote count and Bush's selection are legal despite his not having actually won the election.
    I know this is an over simplification, but it seems to me to be basically what happend.
    Again, I really don't want to debate this, I don't think its essential to the point of my original post.

16. Salty Registered Senior Member

Because the machine that counts ballots is less bias then human beings?

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

About this 2000 election stuff. The law is the law, Bush won because of the law. The law favored him in this case. It happens, get over it.

Democrat's hate Bush because guess what? He's a republican. Can you guess why republicans hate deomcrats? I'll give you a hint: It's not because they rape and pillaged several small towns!

18. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

A president for life isn't "sort of" like a dictator, it IS a dictator.