Iraq - USA here to stay after all

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Psycho-Cannon, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

Well there goes another lie, ho hum seems despite the Lip service the USA have no intention of pulling their millitary muscle out at all, in fact quite the opposite.
    Yes it is the WS source again but i've confirmed it you want to refute it give me valid criticism not OMG NOT A LEFTIST SOURCE OMG NO!!!!

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/apr2003/iraq-a22.shtml

Citing senior US officials, the New York Times revealed on Sunday that the Pentagon is planning to maintain at least four bases in key locations in Iraq into the indefinite future. These include: the international airport just outside Baghdad; Tallil air field near Nasiriya in the south, an isolated airstrip known as H-1 in the western desert; and the Bashur air base in the northern Kurdish areas.

This gives them yet another base of operations in the middle east and a force to keep any uprising down to a minimum and basically posses as quite an intimidating force for both the Iraqi people and any government that forms.

Ahmad Chalabi, the Iraqi exile favoured by the Pentagon to play a major political role in Baghdad, has already signalled his support for an American military presence. He said that it was “a necessity until at least the first democratic election is held,” which he estimated as two years away.

Given that Mr Chalabi is already somewhat unpopular and seen as an American Puppet this kind of statement is not going to win him any brownie points back home.

I just want to know what the difference between ocupying a country and simply leaving behind a big enough force operation in the country to smash it all over again should things go to hell is.
    So they wont have the American flag over the official government buildings...hopefuly, but it seems to be the same thing.

One Senior Republican Richard Lugar, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told NBC on Sunday that they need to stay at least 5 years and probably much longer as

"A gap has occurred and that had brought some considerable suffering. Among those rushing in to fill the void are clerics and religious groups"

[/I]
    What Lugar is obliquely referring to is the emergence of substantial anti-American protests in Baghdad, Nasiraya and other Iraqi cities over the last week, dominated, at present, by clerics demanding the withdrawal of US troops and the establishment of an Islamic state. In the Shiite suburbs of Baghdad and some southern cities, Shiite groups have rapidly moved to set up local administrations. Lugar is simply stating the obvious: Washington cannot hope to sustain a pro-US regime in Baghdad without the backing of American firepower.
    [/I]

Also i dont get how they keep saying that the reconstruction will be "done by the Iraqi people for the Iraqi people" and stating this is obvious as a million Americans with spanners wont just "appear" in Iraq.
    What that means is that the Iraqis will be employed at dirt wages to do the manual labour that will be paid to them from Iraqi Oil with the profits going to American Business.

Revealing the depth of bitterness among ordinary Iraqis, a female doctor, Iman, retorted: “If they give us anything it is not from their own pockets. It is from our oil.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SG-N Registered Senior Member

Ahmad Chalabi has been democratically elected by 500 men upon 4 millions of Iraqi living in Baghdad (let say 2 millions if we don't count children... and I'm generous) ! That's 1/4000...
    I saw him yesterday on TV. Nobody knows him in Baghdad... In fact they don't care about him : they are following their religious leaders.
    US are trying to put him in Baghdad because they want to say : "Look, we give you an "Iraqi" leader ! We will just help an Iraqi government to rise. We will not stay for a long time..." then they get back in their hummers and lol...

"had said it..."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. heflores Banned Banned

Katavan, you're mirroring my opinions all over the place, that I'll just have to go into hybernation...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

Interesting point will this also be taken from the oil profits as part of the reconstruction or will it also come from your pockets?
    I have a funny feeling it will be from your American pockets.
    They are planning not just one large base but at least 10 bases and 5 very large ones.
    Also the presence of these bases is not going to go well with the locals at all so you should be concerned about stay or go if its your pocket your worried about as the fund they will spend trying to fend off the public hostility will definatly come out of your pockets.
    Its also one step close to the next war that will also come out of your pocket.
    If thats where your heart is then i'd say your about to have a mild attack ^_^.

8. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

Also point of Jobs.
    Yes unfortunatly the way America is going it seems to be railroading youth into the Millitary as the only reasonable path to a good future creating an Army of people just there out of a twisted sense of National pride and being there for the money and the qualifications so dig throught it and get out.

I may help the Iraqi's a little in creating trade for some of the locals around the bigger bases but not as much as you'd usually expect as there are not all that many brothles in Iraq at the moment..not yet anyway i'm sure when they import the Marine culture and the dollar and their home grown government they will see to changing that.

9. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

i certainly hope we keep a few bases in there. Need to keep tas on people in the area until the new iraqi democracy is on its feet. Iran would be oh so happy to invade and assorted terrorist group most likly would be happy to begin infestation.

10. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

What's wrong with keeping bases there? You fool, so cynical and negative.

Look at South Korea

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We kept bases there and they are prospering. Do Koreans still protest and want Americans out? Yes.

But the nation as a whole appreciates Americans for being there, even though some loser GI's that are mostly high-school drop-outs or don't go to college with no future rape, fight, etc. with Koreans.

Losers? Yes, indeed. They need to get a life.

11. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Exactly, thank you for seeing why bases will be kept there.

Some people just don't understand...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Salty Registered Senior Member

You guys know what a power vaccum is?

13. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

You mean the kind of power vacumes that are created by American millitary interventions?

If the economy is not improving quickly, we need to consider creating additional jobs by having a few permanent millitary bases in syria as well...

14. Salty Registered Senior Member

So you think we should leave saddam in power then?

Military spending doesnt help the economy either.

15. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Correct, the ever increasing millitary spending is not helping the economy too much, but just like north korea, the millitary are becoming an lifeboat for the leaders miserable regime in order not to face their obligations back home and pay back all the IOU's petrolmoney to the foreign banks, especially with this economy, so the increased deficit that arises from this policy, will be a nice job for the next president....

I think that some American media is selling a lot of obvious BS and lies to push the Bush agenda. Why do they need to deceive their own people? Afraid that others than neoconservatives (neos: who would be perfectly happy with the truth/oil/suv/freedom for us because others pay for our freedom etc) start thinking and may decide to give their vote to another guy???

Are you sure you aren't endorsing these medialies because of selfish profitmotives (that's a valid reason , maybe I would if I was an american taxpayer, living in Beverly Hills, but I am a european taxpayer, so maybe I decide to believe french lies instead, if that means we can buy oil with euros) or are you a true believer ? (that would be really sad)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2003
  16. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

yes bush is fucking up this an every other nation with his policies. It will be the end of the us as a super power.