Debating techniques

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Jerrek, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

I have gotten some PMs from people that express their dislike for the way I debate, and some people that like the way I debate. Well, there are various types of debating techniques. I'm in my school's debate club, and I usually argue for the right-wing people (I occasionally argue for the left, but that is contrary to my beliefs).

I'm a offensive-blitz debater. I debate offensively, attacking other people's points and arguments. While I do defend my own points, I predominantly debate against someone. The blitz comes in because I usually do one liners. I sometimes debate in long debates, where a side has 10 or so minutes to prepare an answer, but more often than not I participate in 15 second debates where a side has 15 seconds to respond.

I love this style, but it pisses some people off. Mind you, it is nothing personal, it is just the way I was taught to be (my one friend is a defensive debater, and more often than not he likes the long debates).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Salty Registered Senior Member

I prefer my drunken gibberish technique myself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Reminds me of the style I was taught during high school. One scored points with quick hit and run actions on the opponent's arguments.

In real life, it occured to me that most people indeed did find it highely offending. Even worse, they just climbed more in the defense, making an argument too black and white which very effectively kills all hope of finding a truth (for me the goal of every argument).

With time, i found that catchy one liners are best replaced with a more lengthy and complete reply. Not putting arguments at a cutting edge, where you would know that it would make a point very sharply, but wrapping it in a more elaborate exchange of statements.

But as a search on my posts would quickly reveal, i'm the first to break this principle...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

What is this thread doing in "World Events & Politics" though?

8. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

maybe because lately there are many debates going on here.
    I dont want to hurt anyone when i debate, so if i do so please tell me...

People tell me that i get too fast excited when i debate and start to talk very loud with a red face.

Anyway thats me i cant just stay without debating.

9. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I am usually the one to stay calm while the other guy starts spurting blood from his temples. I say very vicious and angry things in a calm voice.

Drives them nuts.

10. spookz Banned Banned

I'm a offensive-blitz debater. I debate offensively, attacking other people's points and arguments. While I do defend my own points, I predominantly debate against someone. The blitz comes in because I usually do one liners. I sometimes debate in long debates, where a side has 10 or so minutes to prepare an answer, but more often than not I participate in 15 second debates where a side has 15 seconds to respond

since you do not employ any logic/reason behind any debating style, why even bother?

11. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

I do a similar thing, when someone gets emotional, it makes them seem like an idiot. Also neurolinguistics really helps if you have the knack. And making your high confidence level obvious seems to befudle the less surefooted openent. Debates require observations in balance between the smaller minutae and the larger image, to do well.

12. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

I'm a centrist so sometimes I have to take a devil's advocate role just to get in a thread. Since to me it seems that there are more liberals on this board, I often like to take a further right position than I'm normally comfortable with. However, I also debate on another board that is dominated by some rather extreme right wingers so I tend to argue from a little more left position there. Hell, I just like to argue. I hold a chair in our university's international relations department think tank and we meet on Friday afternoons for some spirited discussion, so I like to hone myself on these boards. Although I think the issues on this board are for the most part serious issues, I still try to have a good time while still getting a point across. Of course, some on here are just plain old fun to argue with.

13. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Better than sitting there for 20 minutes and still not using any logic or reason.

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

15. spookz Banned Banned

dude! you really got me pinned to the ground with that rejoinder!

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It all depends on your purpose. Most people don't come to message boards to debate, but to discuss. Debate (especially high school debate) is basically a competitive intellectual game in which players try to 'beat' each other. In discussion the goal is to have a reasoned dialog with another person. Taking a debater mentality isn’t always the best way to go.

17. riverline Registered Senior Member

Debate is a skill, it strengthens itself by time ( maybe years ), Thats why its easy to beat a young guy like Jerrek

besides I dont belive that you have received any PM ..maybe one not more...