Excellent article on oil and U.S. imperialism by retired Army guy

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Lykan, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

Well-written and heavily-documented article on oil and U.S. imperialism and the importance to big business of keeping the American people as ignorant as they are right now about why we're interested in the Middle East and why our taxes will increasingly be used to support such actions:

Stan Goff's article "THE INFINITE WAR AND ITS ROOTS" 8/27/02

BIO:

Stan Goff retired from the U.S. Army in 1996, his last assignment being 3rd Special Forces Group. He entered military service January 1970, and his first assignment was as an infantryman with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam. His service took him to seven more conflict areas after Vietnam, including Guatemala, Grenada, El Salvador, Peru, Colombia, Somalia, and Haiti. His assignments included 2nd Ranger Battalion, 1st Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta, 7th Special Forces, the Jungle Operations Training Center, and the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/082702_infinite_war.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

Comments?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Interesting article, Lykan.

I suppose that from a perspective of morals, the United States is engaging in attempts at almost missinoary-like conversion of the world at large...but to utilize the term 'Imperialism' is unnecesary. The US has no financial stake in Iraq's natural resources, yet the promise of constant popularity through constant war and constant re-hashing of American morals through declarative sentences certainly weighs heavily on Bush's conscience, in my opinion.

Bush's head is a difficult one to get into; certainly he is a just moral man, and the almost satan-like qualities bestowed on him by many or certainly undue. Yet one can wonder what the urgency of an Iraqi strike is if not as sustenance for a globally flawed econmic policy and a way of avoiding ruin by way of ruinous domestic policy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

I suppose that from a perspective of morals, the United States is engaging in attempts at almost missinoary-like conversion of the world at large...but to utilize the term 'Imperialism' is unnecesary.

No, it is really QUITE necessary.

8. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

The US owns Iraq’s natural resources. Iraq is a territory of the US. Obviously as the owner they have a financial stake.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I enjoyed reading the article and I agree with it.

Yes, we can at least say that the US has a greater financial stake than, say, Poland.

I remember Bush mentioning, in his last state of the union address, that he planned to have hydroelectric cars on the road and popular by 2011 (although I am not positive on this date). Curiously, this date coincides with the time the writer of the article believes our oil supply to change hands. Perhaps the aristocrats are trying to hold on to their power for as long as possible, because, when 2011 or some other similar date arrives, their power will be gone. Demand in oil will drop sharply, at least in the US. Then, the power will fall into someone else's hands.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Interesting link, Lykan. A frightening article, which leaves out the hope that the Busheviks can be discredited before America goes completely round the bend. I don't buy the argument that transitioning from animals or coal or petroleum must be cataclysmic. Trucks and airplanes can obviously run on hydrogen fuel cells. We are becoming smart enough to recognize moronic and confrontational leaders, and remove them. We can also find energy solutions. The universe is seething with energy, and will continue do do so for as long as it will "matter".

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

That remains to be seen. Our government is full of them. And I don't just mean the republicans...OR the conservatives...

12. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

What? Iraq a territory? Citations please.

13. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Citations are unnecessary. The US controls Iraq, that's good enough. Whatever the US calls Iraq is just mincing words. Like calling it "liberation" when it's "occupation." If the majority of Iraqis slowly walked with white flags toward the oil fields and said they wanted to touch their oil, they'd be shot by US troops. That shows who the owner is.

14. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

ok