invention!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by NightFall, Apr 14, 2003.

1. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i think i just had a great idea... (although im sre once i post this someone will give me a link to buy one...)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

what if...

...instead of having to constantly type in passwords everywhere you go online, the left-click button on the mouse had a fingerprint scan on it, and when you were using the mouse it would log you on to your designated sights. It wo8ld be easy to add mulitple users, and no more tedious password typing.. and remembering.. AND it would be more secure than have just a passwords, since your fingerprint would be required to enter.

ok there ya go.. rip it apart.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

ummm.....yaii that's a great idea.

when can we get one?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Nightfall, I believe that has already been invented. I recall seeing a mouse like the one you've described. I'm not sure if it reads the fingerprint and logs you on automatically though. You'd have to tell the computer to log you on somehow

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Probably a bit expensive, too. Is it really that much of a hassle to enter your password?

8. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Finger prints, iris of the eye etc are unique. For some high security applications these bio-identities r needed to be produced when demanded. But in routine applications like ours the security would not be fool-proof if we use them as u said. It is possible for any hacker to get the scan image of ur finger-print and breach the security. also if i have ur finger print i can login with ur identity..
    and there is a trade-off between security and performance. Its faster to check and store ur passwd than ur fingerprint- for a sever that allows hundreds of clients access at a time.

9. Carmagio Registered Senior Member

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

dammit

well, thanks for lettin me down easy y'all.

11. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

woah hey!..

how is it possible that caramagio made that post but below his name says "0 posts"???

12. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

isn't using the iris of the eye for identification purposes supposed to be more thorough and foolproof than fingerprints?

13. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Sorry, it's discrimination against the fingerless.