Will it float?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Kunax, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

If you have a ballon and fills it with nothing, will it then float ?

also, if you make a hole in a ballon filled with nothing, will the nothing then run out?

I say it will fly, because nothing has no weight an there for is lighter then the air around it.
    if you think the ballon would collaps we could add a super light hull structure, but it would still float.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

You can't actually fill a balloon with nothing. If you try, it will simply implode, causing the rubber sides of the balloon to touch. You will in essence have a mass of rubber. Then, depending on the density of the rubber it will either float or sink.

IF we could have a strong enough material to just hold a vacuum then yes, it would float because you are displacing a large amount of water when you place it in the water. If you put a hole in it, large amounts of air RUSH in, which is the same i guess as large amounts of vacuum "rushing" out. (If this doesnt seem to make sense, think of circuits, where we think of current in terms of virtual positive charge carriers moving one direction, while in reality it is actually electrons moving the opposite direction...sometimes it can help to think of things in terms of opposites like that).

-AntonK

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

float in there air not water, anything that can displace more water then there wieght floats, you could proberly make a concreat boat

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Ahh...I see.

I would say the same idea applies. If you can displace more air than the weight of the thing holding the vacuum then yes it would float.

-AntonK

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It wont float. It'll drop to the floor.
    Even if you fill it with air.

9. DouBTlessWonDer socially inferior to TV Registered Senior Member

wouldn't it depend on the content? if it is filled with oxygen, then it will go to the floor but if it was filled with helium, it would float to the ceiling.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The only way to try to do that is by lowering the pressure of the air inside the ballon. I don't think a vacuum can be created, but at least there is less air in the ballon. Try it and see what happens... Make an experiment...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!