JOB IDEAS? -- (turning 18 soon)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by theonlyguyever, Apr 12, 2003.

1. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

I am going to turn 18 very soon (May 28), and I am in the process of looking for a summer job.

I really don't want a $6.00 an hour job at a fast food joint, or something comparable. I'm looking for something a bit higher paying.

As an example, one job I am going to apply for is a customer service position at Apple Computer. It pays around $12.00 an hour for starters, and I will get a 75% discount on my first computer purchase.

If you have any ideas for other worthwhile summer jobs, please don't hesitate to reply. Thanks in advance!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

A job's a job, buddy. Take what you can get!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Work contruction. About $10 an hour, and you get in excellent shape.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I agree with Nenar. A jobs a job take what you get. Although you can aim for higher paying gigs but chances are that since your new and never worked before you'll get a burger flipping job to begin with. Ofcourse somebody here will contest that and say they got a excellent job from the get go but that doesn't happen with everybody unless you are good in a special field at your age.

Good Luck.

8. spookz Banned Banned

i used to peddle my ass down hollywood blvd when i was a kid. pretty good money. perhaps this is an option worth considering?

sincerely
    spook

9. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

Thank you for the replies so far, everyone.

I should have mentioned that when I turned 16, I got a job in customer service at Best Buy and worked there for a year and a half. I think it's pretty notable job experience.

(My point in saying I am turning 18 is because that may open more doors for me, like Apple, not because I can't work before 18.)

Any other ideas?

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

god is irrelevant,

Further your education if possible. Pick a dream and start working hard towards that goal. The world is yours. You need only take it.

11. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

I had a pretty decent job at warehouse. I fetched books that people had ordered online and earned $8.50 per hour. Some may say that factory jobs are pretty good-paying jobs but they can be quite titious.

Have you considered going to college... maybe trying something like a 2-year college. If you don't have the money, Financial Aid could help. You can get grants and there's all sorts of help available. If you get a loan, then when you're done with college, you can delay the payments until you are set up financially and can afford to do so. But, they do add monthly finance charges onto your repayment, like a credit card, until you begin paying but not much, it's not 15% or anything crazy like a Discover card.

Shrugs. Just some suggestions.

Good luck to you!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  12. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

13. Salty Registered Senior Member

^^ take that advise you get to spend time in the sun too

14. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

Okay, time for another update.

I am entering the University of Texas at Austin in the fall, specifically the school of business. I plan on a four-year degree and then law school.

The job I am looking for will serve as a full-time summer job and will hopefully be a part-time job during the school year.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

15. Stoney.Hobbittess Registered Senior Member

Wow! That sounds like a great plan. Congratulations God is Irrelevant. It seems that you have a particular career in mind since you've thought about studying business followed by law school. What career will you be working towards? Let us know how you do. Good luck to you! Study hard!

Sorry, I misspelled your username earlier.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2003
  16. Revolution Registered Senior Member

Try working at a restaurant and start as a bus boy and work up to a server position. Mad Cash $$$ plus you get fed all day

Think of this:

Making 100$ in tips(plus or minus some) most every day working a 5 hour shift

Its very possible if you can get into the right restaurant, and no it does not have to be fine dining either, even coffee shops can crank out the cash.