cigarettes and the intellectual...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fredx, Apr 12, 2003.

1. fredx Banned Banned

I have to give myself the weekend off from heavy intellectual topics, i.e. the philosophy forum and deal with lighter things like this post.

Now that the weather is warming I am getting the urge to smoke a cigarette now and again. I know its bad but I can't help it, its just such a pleasurable thing. On the other hand, I know the health risks and that really makes me think that I shouldn't even pick one up because then it will be too tempting to smoke more of them. Still I am debating if having a few cigarettes a week is so bad if it calms me down to where I am can just appreciate life in the present unburdened by all of the thoughts that I have and by the general flux on reality. Its the only thing that really seems to do the trick, to make me feel happy to be alive, at least without the effort that meditation and such things take. How harmful would say 4 cigerrettes a week be if I could keep it that low? Anyway, I tend not to have to smoke every week and it can be an on and off thing for me, i.e. I can all of a sudden not smoke for months and then come back to it.

Also, what is the reason that most intellectuals like to smoke or at the very least like to smoke a pipe? Does it have something to do with the ability to temporarily relieve us from the burden of our tendency to always be thinking?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It's not because of that, it's because they were crackheads....or um...nicotine addicts. Go ahead and smoke but if you have kids then don't because sooner and later it will catch up with you in one way or another.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

First off, hang a picture of those disgusting lungs that people get on your wall. That aughta' do the trick. You should stop while your ahead. It's good that you're not doing it constantly. If calming yourself down means meditation, any reasonable human would pick that over dying early of lung cancer. Just stop. Do whatever it takes. My mom almost died from lung cancer, and after that she knew it was the cigarettes or her life. Don't let yourself into a position like that, because you may not be as lucky as my mom. Remeber those lungs! Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 different chemicals. At least 43 are known carcinogens (cause cancer in humans). Oh, and here's a list of some of the chemicals in cigarettes, some you may know, some you may not know: Benzene (petrol additive), Formaldehyde (embalming fluid), Ammonia (toilet cleaner), Acetone (nail polish remover), Tar, Nicotine (insecticide/addictive drug), Carbon Monoxide (CO) (car exhaust fumes), Arsenic (rat poison), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison). Here's some more! Acetanisole; Acetic Acid; Acetoin; Acetophenone; 6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane;

Acetanisole; Acetic Acid; Acetoin; Acetophenone; 6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane;

2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine; 2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran; Acetylpyrazine; 2-Acetylpyridine;

3-Acetylpyridine; 2-Acetylthiazole; Aconitic Acid; dl-Alanine; Alfalfa Extract; Allspice Extract;

Oleoresin; Oleoresin Oil; Allyl Hexanoate; Allyl Ionone; Almond Bitter Oil;

Ambergris Tincture; Ammonia; Ammonium Bicarbonate; Ammonium Hydroxide;

Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic; Ammonium Sulfide; Amyl Alcohol; Amyl Butyrate;

Amyl Formate; Amyl Octanoate; alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde; Amyris Oil; trans-Anethole;

Angelica Root Extract; Oil and Seed Oil; Anise; Anise Star Extract and Oils; Anisyl Acetate;

Anisyl Alcohol; Anisyl Formate; Anisyl Phenylacetate; Apple Juice Concentrate/Extract and Skins;

Apricot Extract & Juice Concentrate; 1-Arginine; Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil; Ascorbic Acid;

1-Asparagine Monohydrate; 1-Aspartic Acid; Balsam Peru and Oil; Basil Oil; Bay Leaf Oil;

Sweet Oil; Beeswax White; Beet Juice Concentrate; Benzaldehyde; Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal;

Benzoic Acid; Benzoin; Benzoin Resin; Benzophenone; Benzyl Alcohol; Benzyl Benzoate;

Benzyl Butyrate; Benzyl Cinnamate; Benzyl Propionate; Benzyl Salicylate; Bergamot Oil;

Bisabolene; Black Currant Buds Absolute; Borneol; Bornyl Acetate; Buchu Leaf Oil;

1-3-Butanediol; 2-3-Butanedione; 1-Butanol; 2-Butanone; 4(2-Butenylidene)-3, 5,

5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One; Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil; Butyl Acetate; Butyl Butyrate;

Butyl Butyryl Lactate; Butyl Isovalerate; Butyl Phenylacetate; Butyl Undecylenate;

3-Butylidenephthalide; Butyric Acid; Cadinene; Caffeine; Calcium Carbonate; Camphene;

Cananga Oil; Capsicum Oleoresin; Caramel Color; Caraway Oil; Carbon Monoxide;

Cardamom Oleoresin Extract/ Seed Oil/and Powder; Carob Bean and Extract; beta-Carotene;

Carrot Oil; Carvacrol; 4-Carvomenthenol; 1-Carvone; beta-Caryophyllene;

beta-Caryophyllene Oxide; Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract; Cassia Bark Oil; Cassie Absolute & Oil;

Castoreum Extract; Tincture and Absolute; Cedar Leaf Oil; Cedarwood Oil Terpenes & Virginiana;

Cedrol; Celery Seed Extract/Solid/Oil/and Oleoresin; Cellulose Fiber; Chamomile Flower Oil &

Extract; Chicory Extract; Chocolate; Cinnamaldehyde; Cinnamic Acid; Cinnamon Leaf Oil; Bark Oil

and Extract; Cinnamyl Acetate; Cinnamyl Alcohol; Cinnamyl Cinnamate;

Cinnamyl Isovalerate; Cinnamyl Propionate; Citral; Citric Acid; Citronella Oil; dl-Citronellol;

Citronellyl Butyrate; Citronellyl Isobutyrate; Civet Absolute; Clary Oil; Clover Tops;

Red Solid Extract; Cocoa; Cocoa Shells Extract; Distillate and Powder; Coconut Oil; Coffee;

Cognac White and Green Oil; Copaiba Oil; Coriander Extract and Oil; Corn Oil; Corn Silk;

Costus Root Oil; Cubeb Oil; Cuminaldehyde; para-Cymene; 1-Cysteine;

Dandelion Root Solid Extract; Davana Oil; 2-trans; 4-trans-Decadienal; delta-Decalactone;

gamma-Decalactone; Decanal; Decanoic Acid; 1-Decanol; 2-Decenal; Dehydromenthofurolactone;

Diethyl Malonate; Diethyl Sebacate; 2,3-Diethylpyrazine; Dihydro Anethole;

5,7-Dihydro-2-Methylthieno(3,4-D) Pyrimidine; Dill Seed Oil and Extract; meta-Dimethoxybenzene;

para-Dimethoxybenzene; 2,6-Dimethoxyphenol; Dimethyl Succinate; 3, 4-Dimethyl-1;

2-Cyclopentanedione; 3, 5- Dimethyl-1; 2-Cyclopentanedione; 3,7-Dimethyl-1; 3, 6-Octatriene;

4, 5-Dimethyl-3-Hydroxy-2; 5-Dihydrofuran-2-One; 6,10-Dimethyl-5; 9-Undecadien-2-One;

3,7-Dimethyl-6-Octenoic Acid; 2,4-Dimethylacetophenone; alpha, para-Dimethylbenzyl Alcohol;

alpha,alpha-Dimethylphenethyl Acetate; alpha,alpha Dimethylphenethyl Butyrate;

2, 3-Dimethylpyrazine; 2, 5-Dimethylpyrazine; 2, 6-Dimethylpyrazine;

Dimethyltetra-hydrobenzofuranone; delta-Dodecalactone; gamma-Dodecalactone;

para-Ethoxybenzaldehyde; Ethyl 10-Undecenoate; Ethyl 2-Methylbutyrate; Ethyl Acetate; Ethyl

Acetoacetate; Ethyl Alcohol; Ethyl Benzoate; Ethyl Butyrate; Ethyl Cinnamate; Ethyl Decanoate;

Ethyl Fenchol; Ethyl Furoate; Ethyl Heptanoate; Ethyl Hexanoate; Ethyl Isovalerate;

Ethyl Lactate; Ethyl Laurate; Ethyl Levulinate; Ethyl Maltol; Ethyl Methyl Phenylglycidate;

Ethyl Myristate; Ethyl Nonanoate; Ethyl Octadecanoate; Ethyl Octanoate; Ethyl Oleate;

Ethyl Palmitate; Ethyl Phenylacetate; Ethyl Propionate; Ethyl Salicylate; Ethyl trans-2-Butenoate;

Ethyl Valerate; Ethyl Vanillin; 2-Ethyl (or Methyl)-(3; 5 and 6)-Methoxypyrazine;

2-Ethyl-1-Hexanol; 3-Ethyl-2 -Hydroxy-2-Cyclopenten-1-One; 2-Ethyl-3; (5 or 6)-Dimethylpyrazine;

5-Ethyl-3-Hydroxy-4-Methyl-2(5H)-Furanone; 2-Ethyl-3-Methylpyrazine; 4-Ethylbenzaldehyde;

4-Ethylguaiacol; para-Ethylphenol; 3-Ethylpyridine; Eucalyptol; Farnesol; D-Fenchone;

Fennel Sweet Oil; Fenugreek Extract; Resin & Absolute; Fig Juice Concentrate;

Food Starch Modified; Furfuryl Mercaptan; 4-(2-Furyl)-3-Buten-2-One; Galbanum Oil;

Genet Absolute; Gentian Root Extract; Geraniol; Geranium Rose Oil; Geranyl Acetate;

Geranyl Butyrate; Geranyl Formate; Geranyl Isovalerate; Geranyl Phenylacetate;

Ginger Oil and Oleoresin; 1-Glutamic Acid; 1-Glutamine; Glycerol; Glycyrrhizin Ammoniated;

Grape Juice Concentrate; Guaiac Wood Oil; Guaiacol; Guar Gum; 2; 4-Heptadienal;

gamma-Heptalactone; Heptanoic Acid; 2-Heptanone; 3-Hepten-2-One; 2-Hepten-4-One;

4-Heptenal; trans -2-Heptenal; Heptyl Acetate; omega-6-Hexadecenlactone; gamma-Hexalactone;

Hexanal; Hexanoic Acid; 2-Hexen-1-Ol; 3-Hexen-1-Ol; cis-3-Hexen-1-Yl Acetate; 2-Hexenal;

3-Hexenoic Acid; trans-2-Hexenoic Acid; cis-3-Hexenyl Formate; Hexyl 2-Methylbutyrate;

Hexyl Acetate; Hexyl Alcohol; Hexyl Phenylacetate; 1-Histidine; Honey; Hops Oil;

Hydrolyzed Milk Solids; Hydrolyzed Plant Proteins; 5-Hydroxy-2; 4-Decadienoic Acid delta-

Lactone; 4-Hydroxy-2; 5-Dimethyl-3(2H)-Furanone; 2-Hydroxy-3; 5;

5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One; 4-Hydroxy -3-Pentenoic Acid Lactone;

2-Hydroxy-4-Methylbenzaldehyde; 4-Hydroxybutanoic Acid Lactone; Hydroxycitronellal;

6-Hydroxydihydrotheaspirane; 4-(para-Hydroxyphenyl)-2-Butanone; Hyssop Oil; Immortelle

Absolute and Extract; alpha-Ionone; beta-Ionone; alpha-Irone; Isoamyl Acetate; Isoamyl Benzoate;

Isoamyl Butyrate; Isoamyl Cinnamate; Isoamyl Formate; Isoamyl Hexanoate; Isoamyl Isovalerate;

Isoamyl Octanoate; Isoamyl Phenylacetate; Isobornyl Acetate; Isobutyl Acetate; Isobutyl Alcohol;

Isobutyl Cinnamate; Isobutyl Phenylacetate; Isobutyl Salicylate; 2-Isobutyl-3-Methoxypyrazine;

alpha-Isobutylphenethyl Alcohol; Isobutyraldehyde; Isobutyric Acid; d,l-Isoleucine;

alpha-Isomethylionone; 2-Isopropylphenol; Isovaleric Acid; Jasmine Absolute; Concrete and Oil;

Kola Nut Extract; Labdanum Absolute and Oleoresin; Lactic Acid; Lauric Acid; Lauric Aldehyde;

Lavandin Oil; Lavender Oil; Lemon Oil & Extract; Lemongrass Oil; 1-Leucine; Levulinic Acid;

Licorice Root; Fluid; Extract and Powder; Lime Oil ; Linalool; Linalool Oxide; Linalyl Acetate; Linden

Flowers; Lovage Oil And Extract; 1-Lysine; Mace Powder; Extract & Oil; Magnesium Carbonate;

Malic Acid; Malt & Malt Extract; Maltodextrin; Maltol; Maltyl Isobutyrate; Mandarin Oil; Maple Syrup

& Concentrate; Mate Leaf; Absolute and Oil; para-Mentha-8-Thiol-3-One; Menthol; Menthone;

Menthyl Acetate; dl-Methionine; Methoprene; 2-Methoxy-4-Methylphenol; 2-Methoxy-4-Vinylphenol;

para-Methoxybenzaldehyde; 1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-1-Penten-3-One;

4-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Butanone; 1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Propanone; Methoxypyrazine;

Methyl 2-Furoate; Methyl 2-Octynoate; Methyl 2-Pyrrolyl Ketone; Methyl Anisate; Methyl

Anthranilate; Methyl Benzoate; Methyl Cinnamate; Methyl Dihydrojasmonate; Methyl Ester of Rosin;

Partially Hydrogenated, Methyl Isovalerate; Methyl Linoleate (48%); Methyl Linolenate (52%) Mix;

Methyl Naphthyl Ketone; Methyl Nicotinate; Methyl Phenylacetate; Methyl Salicylate;

Methyl Sulfide; 3-Methyl-1-Cyclopentadecanone; 4-Methyl-1-Phenyl-2-Pentanone;

5-Methyl-2-Phenyl-2-Hexenal; 5-Methyl-2-Thiophenecarboxaldehyde;

6-Methyl-3-5-Heptadien-2-One; 2-Methyl-3-(para-Isopropylphenyl) Propionaldehyde;

5-Methyl-3-Hexen-2-One; 1-Methyl-3Methoxy-4-Isopropylbenzene; 4-Methyl-3-Pentene-2-One;

2-Methyl-4-Phenylbutyraldehyde; 6-Methyl-5-Hepten-2-One; 4-Methyl-5-Thiazoleethanol;

4-Methyl-5-Vinylthiazole; Methyl-alpha-Ionone; Methyl-trans-2-Butenoic Acid;

4-Methylacetophenone; para-Methylanisole; alpha-Methylbenzyl Acetate; alpha-Methylbenzyl Alcohol;

2-Methylbutyraldehyde; 3-Methylbutyraldehyde; 2-Methylbutyric Acid;

alpha-Methylcinnamaldehyde; Methylcyclopentenolone; 2-Methylheptanoic Acid;

2-Methylhexanoic Acid; 3-Methylpentanoic Acid; 4-Methylpentanoic Acid; 2-Methylpyrazine;

5-Methylquinoxaline; 2-Methyltetrahydrofuran-3-One; (Methylthio)Methylpyrazine

(Mixture Of Isomers); 3-Methylthiopropionaldehyde; Methyl 3-Methylthiopropionate;

2-Methylvaleric Acid; Mimosa Absolute and Extract; Molasses Extract and Tincture;

Mountain Maple Solid Extract; Mullein Flowers; Myristaldehyde; Myristic Acid; Myrrh Oil;

beta-Napthyl Ethyl Ether; Nerol; Neroli Bigarde Oil; Nerolidol; Nona-2-trans; 6-cis-Dienal;

2, 6-Nonadien-1-Ol; gamma-Nonalactone; Nonanal; Nonanoic Acid; Nonanone;

trans-2-Nonen-1-Ol; 2-Nonenal; Nonyl Acetate; Nutmeg Powder and Oil;

Oak Chips Extract and Oil; Oak Moss Absolute; 9, 12-Octadecadienoic Acid (48%) and

9,12,15-Octadecatrienoic Acid (52%); delta-Octalactone; gamma-Octalactone; Octanal;

Octanoic Acid; 1-Octanol; 2-Octanone; 3-Octen-2-One; 1-Octen-3-Ol; 1-Octen-3-Yl Acetate;

2-Octenal; Octyl Isobutyrate; Oleic Acid ; Olibanum Oil; Opoponax Oil And Gum;

Orange Blossoms Water; Absolute; and Leaf Absolute; Orange Oil and Extract; Origanum Oil;

Orris Concrete Oil and Root Extract; Palmarosa Oil; Palmitic Acid; Parsley Seed Oil;

Patchouli Oil; omega-Pentadecalactone; 2, 3-Pentanedione; 2-Pentanone; 4-Pentenoic Acid;

2-Pentylpyridine; Pepper Oil; Black And White; Peppermint Oil; Peruvian (Bois De Rose) Oil;

Petitgrain Absolute; Mandarin Oil & Terpeneless Oil; alpha-Phellandrene; 2-Phenenthyl Acetate;

Phenenthyl Alcohol; Phenethyl Butyrate; Phenethyl Cinnamate; Phenethyl Isobutyrate;

Phenethyl Isovalerate; Phenethyl Phenylacetate; Phenethyl Salicylate; 1-Phenyl-1-Propanol;

3-Phenyl-1-Propanol; 2-Phenyl-2-Butenal; 4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-Ol; 4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-One;

Phenylacetaldehyde; Phenylacetic Acid; 1-Phenylalanine; 3-Phenylpropionaldehyde;

3-Phenylpropionic Acid; 3-Phenylpropyl Acetate; 3-Phenylpropyl Cinnamate;

2-(3-Phenylpropyl)Tetrahydrofuran; Phosphoric Acid; Pimenta Leaf Oil; Pine Needle Oil;

Pine Oil; Scotch; Pineapple Juice Concentrate; alpha-Pinene; beta-Pinene; D-Piperitone;

Piperonal; Pipsissewa Leaf Extract; Plum Juice; Potassium Sorbate; 1-Proline; Propenylguaethol;

Propionic Acid; Propyl Acetate; Propyl para-Hydroxybenzoate; Propylene Glycol;

3-Propylidenephthalide; Prune Juice and Concentrate; Pyridine; Pyroligneous Acid and Extract;

Pyrrole; Pyruvic Acid; Raisin Juice Concentrate; Rhodinol; Rose Absolute and Oil;

Rosemary Oil; Rum; Rum Ether; Rye Extract; Sage; Sage Oil; and Sage Oleoresin;

Salicylaldehyde; Sandalwood Oil; Yellow; Sclareolide; Skatole; Smoke Flavor; Snakeroot Oil;

Sodium Acetate; Sodium Benzoate; Sodium Bicarbonate; Sodium Carbonate; Sodium Chloride;

Sodium Citrate; Sodium Hydroxide; Solanone; Spearmint Oil; Styrax Extract, Gum and Oil;

Sucrose Octaacetate; Sugar Alcohols; Sugars; Tagetes Oil; Tannic Acid; Tartaric Acid;

Tea Leaf and Absolute; alpha-Terpineol; Terpinolene; Terpinyl Acetate;

5, 6, 7, 8-Tetrahydroquinoxaline; 1, 5, 5, 9-Tetramethyl-13-Oxatricyclo(8.3.0.0(4,9))Tridecane;

2, 3, 4, 5, and 3, 4, 5, 6-Tetramethylethyl-Cyclohexanone; 2, 3, 5, 6-Tetramethylpyrazine;

Thiamine Hydrochloride; Thiazole; 1-Threonine; Thyme Oil; White and Red; Thymol;

Tobacco Extracts; Tochopherols (mixed); Tolu Balsam Gum and Extract; Tolualdehydes;

para-Tolyl 3-Methylbutyrate; para-Tolyl Acetaldehyde; para-Tolyl Acetate; para-Tolyl Isobutyrate;

para-Tolyl Phenylacetate; Triacetin; 2-Tridecanone; 2-Tridecenal; Triethyl Citrate;

3, 5, 5-Trimethyl -1-Hexanol; para, alpha, alpha-Trimethylbenzyl Alcohol;

4-(2, 6, 6-Trimethylcyclohex-1-Enyl)but-2-En-4-One; 2, 6, 6-Trimethylcyclohex-2-Ene-1;

4-Dione; 2, 6, 6-Trimethylcyclohexa-1; 3-Dienyl Methan;

4-(2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohexa-1,3-Dienyl)But-2-En-4-One,2,2,6-Trimethylcycloh exanone;

2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine; 1-Tyrosine; delta-Undercalactone; gamma-Undecalactone;

Undecanal; 2-Undecanone; 10-Undecenal; Urea; Valencene; Valeraldehyde;

Valerian Root Extract; Oil and Powder; Valeric Acid; gamma-Valerolactone; Valine;

Vanilla Extract And Oleoresin; Vanillin; Veratraldehyde; Vetiver Oil; Vinegar;

Violet Leaf Absolute; Walnut Hull Extract; Water; Wheat Extract And Flour;

Wild Cherry Bark Extract; Wine and Wine Sherry; Xanthan Gum; 3; 4-Xylenol; Yeast.

And that's only 994 of 'em!!!

Oh, click here to see the lungs.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Willson13...seriously dude....we know they are bad, you don't have to list all the bad that is inside. But i agree with you, they are bad but going cold turkey on them is worse, because people get cravings so badly they just go right back. I say quit smoking but slowly, you'll still get cravings but fight them. Plus aren't they a expensive habit now. Almost everybody that i know that smokes gets them through some connection cheap.

8. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

As long as I leave an impact, because I would hate for people to have the same fate as my mother.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

That's very sincere and noble of you. I definetly think that smoking is hazardous, but the way anti-smoking groups are going about trying to end the practice of smoking is the wrong way. I have seen some of the truth ads and they are laughable than informative. I mean how is, a actor in a rat costume pretending to be dying from rat poison in a Manhattan street, suppose to accomplish anyway. I don't smoke and hell i don't even take them seriously so how is somebody who is addicted on this stuff suppose to. They need more affective ads, i.e i saw one where a beautiful model was standing in front of the camera and eventually she stared taking off her fake teeth, wig, and make up and you realize how bad she really looks because of years of smoking. I say hit em where it hurts, People are vain and when their vanity is hurt they take notice.

10. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

I agree. That one commercial, where the woman asks people "Which would you prefer?". What would it be like to see a lady on the street with a sandwich board around her neck, and two pictures of babies? I'm not an advertising executive, and I don't plan on being one, but c'mon, even I think that's a bad commercial.

11. fredx Banned Banned

I truthfully don't see a cigarette once in a while...

as being able to do me in. Lets say I just smoke a cigarette very occasionally, i.e. if I smoked a couple of cigarettes when I go out to a bar on the weekend. I believe that the body has somewhat of an ability to repair itself. Those that smoke 5 cigarettes or more day are doomed though. It is a pleasure of life and I think if moderated then it can be okay. Think about it, you are taking in quite alot of poisonous smoke just standing on the sidewalk of busy town or city, its just that there are no "truth" propagandists spending millions analyzing whats coming out of your Ford Bronco.

I don't know, smoking makes me feel cool and sophisticated now and again. It clears my head. Either that or it makes it real foggy. Either way it does something to give me a few minutes of presentness, which usually lasts a bit longer than meditation. All I can say about it is that there is something about it that is "nice" and also something potentially very dangerous. Perhaps in a way smoking is like thinking.

There is a rap song called "What can I do?" by Scarface that fits in nicely here, here are the lyrics:

I live and I learn, I sit and watch my cigarette burn
    Down to the ash, it remindes me of the now and the passed
    I say a little prayer, 'cause eventually I'll stand in the path
    Of the souls and dark rows that lead to rest

Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  12. fredx Banned Banned

also...

as for the "truth" ads, I think for the most part they are good, but beware of any propaganda campaigns that vie for your attention, for all you know they can have a hidden agenda of their own.

13. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

I tried to quit cold turkey and it was grueling but I can't believe I did it. I had really bad cravings for cigaretts for several weeks and I more hungry than usual, but in the end--- I did it. When thinking about it, though, maybe a patch was an easier way to go.

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

"what is the reason that most intellectuals like to smoke or at the very least like to smoke a pipe?"

***Another example of the power of television.***

"as for the "truth" ads, I think for the most part they are good, but beware of any propaganda campaigns that vie for your attention, for all you know they can have a hidden agenda of their own."

***Like what? They promote the truth. Why does everything have to have a hidden agenda? There's no way out. If you do something negative, people come down on you. The moment you try to do something positive, people think you're up to something.

Do you really think they want to get rid of the tobacco industry because they're working for another industry? What a bunch of crap. It's impossible.

That reminds me of this black and white movie I saw. The guy wanted to sell gum, so he starts preaching against cigarettes. The scene was funny as hell, but pure fiction. "Clerks."

I doubt very much there is a hidden agenda behind “TRUTH.” There’s as much possibility in that as there is of you being a secret member of the tobacco industry trying to discredit the whole “TRUTH” campaign.

15. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

So instead of dying at the age of 80 you'll die at the age of 70.

seriously, big fucking deal, its so dumb when people say "your killing yourself", they don't seem to realise that living is killing yourself.

16. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

Oh no, Dr. Lou. I fully realize that from the day I was a little fetus I was dying. And why do you think it's dumb when people say "you're killing yourself"? They're only telling the truth, because smoking simply speeds up the process of death.

17. machaon Registered Senior Member

Tobacco is winning

Mabye the natural defense of the tobacco plant is that it creates such a desire in a mammal to smoke it that it kills them in such great numbers that they go extinct, therefore ridding itself of the pest in mass.

18. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

That is disgusting!!

Take it away.

19. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

Charles, it was meant to be disgusting. It makes a point, does it not?

20. fredx Banned Banned

I guess no one can relate to why I would want one...

though they are pretty bad for you. I can admit that.

21. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

You're right, I can't understand why people like it. It's simply inhaling toxic smoke. Yet, it's supposedly enjoyable.

22. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

It could be. Maybe it has something to do with Freuds theory of development and those who become fixated in the oral stage, i.e. become fixated with oral stimulation, become 'intellectuals'.
    Yes it certainly does. It is an image that now flashes in my mind when I light a cigarette...damn you

lol

23. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

Just keep thinking...dirtu lungs...dirty lungs.