Time & agging

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by skyline, Apr 10, 2003.

1. skyline Registered Senior Member

Does our sense of time affected by aging?
    That is, when we get older we do not feel the time the same way.

Young people seem to be always in hurry and not patient while older people are not.

Can we say that 2 years for a man of 20 equals 4 years for a man of 40 years old?

Any idea?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

I'd say, views on aging are different at different times. A retired person's day would seem longer as it wouldn't be as packed, but more leisurely. This person would also cherish the moments more.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

well certainly i would say so. think of it as a ratio problem.

2 years to a 50yr old is not much.
    2 years to a 7yr old is a lot more.

also alot more happens in a given amount of time when you are young in terms of development, be it physical of mental. the different in the five years from 10 to 15 is huge, while the difference from 40 to 45 is not as much.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well technically time moves the same for all ages in the physical world it's just how time is viewed by different age groups is different. Young people are on the go, playing sports job, school, running from the cops, relationship troubles, new job. While Senior memebers of the society are not as physically able to be that rambuncous anymore purily due to aging limitations so time might seem slower to them since they have a lot more of it to ponder about things. I guess you'll know the answer to the question first hand when you get to that point.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think our personal perception of time depends greatly on our level and direction of consciousness.

When you are sleeping, high, creating art, viewing art... anything that requires your consciousness to be focused on less analytical pursuits, time seems to be moving faster.

9. Blindman Valued Senior Member

There is a bird that travels in time ten times faster the us.. Insects are even faster…

Your brain is made up of neurons… Long spindly cells that sort of conduct electricity… Time is the perception of events.. Anyone who has had a severe accident will know what I talking about.

As we get older our ageing neurons slow down.. Thus time seams to go faster…

I just wish we could find a way to make the day last longer…… Nicotine can help.

Or if your in pain slow time down… Temazepam (sleeping tab)..Geezz that week was just a day…

10. skyline Registered Senior Member

Blindman

do you mean by slow down that the neurons in old people do not reacts with signals as fast as youn people.??

if this is the case then we can generalize this to other creature in animal kingdom. since they must have diffrent neurons conectivity speed.

Also,it is possible to measure this speed by measuring the time needed for an electrical pulse to travel through a nerve with a defined lenghth and compare the result for old and young people.

we all know that time passes quickly durring sleeping.
    is it because of neurons too?

one_raven
    what do you mean by (level and direction of consciousness. )?

and how this affect our feeling of time?
    we all know that during sleeping time passes so fast and our consciousness during sleeping is totally off.

what do you say about this?

11. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

Your thread says Tine and AGGING, I was just unfamiliar with that word

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Which word are you referring to?
    Tine?

It is pretty shitty to call people on misspellings or typos, especially while ignoring the point of their post.
    Ten times worse to have one in your post that calls them on it.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Direction, meaning where our conscious efforts and awareness currently lie.
    Such as whether your thoughts are focused on analytical thought or on emotional, creative thought.
    Whether you are focusing on the external world, or you are inside your head.
    Also, whether your current thought processes lie in the conscious or subconscious mind.

Level, meaning how deeply you are immersed in that current thought process.

For example...

"A watched pot never boils."
    If you are focusing your mind and attention on something in the external world that focuses your mind on something that takes time and requires patience (like watching a clock) time will seem to move more slowly for you.

If you are focusing on abstract thought processes (like painting a picture) time will seem to move more quickly.

"Time flies when you are having fun."

The more intently you focus your efforts, the more pronounced the effect (whether slowing or speeding time) will be.

14. river-wind Valued Senior Member

the human brain discards more than half of the information it takes in- smells, sounds, etc, which do not allpy to us, we unconsciously ignore. This is why, when under hypnosis, we can remeber details about a situation that we don't even realize that we had noticed at the time.

IFAIK, time slows down during accidents, while a baseball is flying at you, etc, because our sence of time is defined in our brain by the rate of info we recieve consciously. so the less we pay attention to around us, the more we "zone out" the faster time goes. The more we recognise in the world around us, the slower time goes. time "stops" during a car crash, because you are consciously noting every detail about what is going on.

Watch a martial artist, and it seems he/she is moving really fast, and reacting to things in an inhuman span of time. However, if he/she is aware of more peices of the situation that you are, he may be able to precieve time slower, and therefore appear to react faster than you would expect possible. He/she's just noticing things before you do, allowing him/her to react to it before you even notice it's happening.

IMO, if you want to live longer, just start being aware of your life more, force yourself to notice the world around you. Time will perceptually slow down, and even though you won't actually live any longer, it will feel like a longer time period.

Just my opinion.

15. Claudea Registered Member

There's a somewhat related post somewhere around here called "Consciousness defines time" or something like that... The title of the post is pretty much self-explanitory, but maybe since our consciousness shifts while we age, time seems to pass more slowly.

Example: They say you learn more in the first 3 years of life than you do for the rest of it combined. Perhaps since you're subject to constant stimuli, time seems to pass more quickly. Sort of like the "time flies when you're having fun" line.
    Maybe as some people age, they find less to learn and stimulate their brains with, like those grandmas and grandpas in the retirement home... There isn't always a lot to do there but die. So maybe lack of stimuli makes time seem to pass slowly moreso than just aging.

Also, i'm sure time doesn't move slowly for *everyone* when they are older... I have a friend in his 50's who is constantly talking about how time passes too quickly. Now just to support my train of thought here, he does happen to be a very very stimulated guy. He plays in shows, parties, and has lots of sex.

So yeah, perhaps it's more consciousness while aging than just aging itself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Empath The Shadow Protectorate Registered Senior Member

I believe time perception varries from person to person and cannot be calculated by using only age(if at all) it might vary depending on diet, life style, age, etc, the list could go on and on, as well as what youre doing imediately(having fun vs. staring at a wall). ive noticed that time for me has acclerated in the last few years for me(I'm 17 now) compared to when i was 5 years old, when time crept by at a snails pace.

~Empath(The Shadow Protectorate)

17. sparkle born to be free Registered Senior Member

From own and friends’ experiences I can say that the subjective perception of passing of time DOES change with age. Just remember being a child and having to wait for your birthday an eternity! Now, your birthday is here and you just had one.
    My explanation is the metabolic rate. It is very fast during childhood and therefore we experience *time* as something very slow. When the metabolic rate slows down with increasing age, our subjective perception of time speeds up. This metabolic thing also explains why (like said before here) people involved in a stressful situation experience a slow motion picture. Your body functions race and your perception slows down.
    I am also convinced that, although of very short life-span, some animals experience their lives subjectively as long.

18. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

Take money, the less you have the quicker it goes. The same is true with time I suppose. But what is it, exactly, you buy with time?

19. Claudea Registered Member

The longer you live, the more time you have to figure out how not to die.