I have a question for the British et al.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jerrek, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Brits, Scots, Welsh, Irish... What do you call your country? U.K.? Or England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland? What do you call yourself? Scottish? British? Britons? If I say British, does that include Scottish people?

Do you travel on a U.K. passport? Is there lots of "separatists" like in Quebec?

Please, this matter has been puzzling me quite a bit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Okay, from my knowledge this is what's happening

I live in England, so I call it England BUT when I have to write what country I live in I have to put United Kingdom

I would say I have to be British

Nope, British and Scottish are quite different

Yes I do. But I do know some people who lived in otehr countries and use a passport from there, ie Canadian passports, German passports, Spanish passports, etc but they're all citizens of the United Kingdom.

This probably doesn't help that much, but here it is I guess

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Bastards!

This is a major Identity problem

I say I live in England but it is written as United Kingdom but if you ask me I’m British as in from “Britain”. Now, the Scottish are not British even though they are in Britain and consequently in the United Kingdom, they are just Scottish and are located in England.

When we travel we all use United Kingdom passports and as such the same nationality, but we are not really from the same nation. This is particularly convenient and most probably unique in the entire world. When we screw-up, no one is British or English or Irish or Scottish, it is always some other British or English or Irish or even Scottish fault.

This is also why we are the only nation that takes pride in the word “Bastard”. Under that term, you are covering all of us.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

Scots are still Brit's though! (aren't they??)

8. The Demi Perfect Registered Senior Member

Erm, all Scottish people are British but not all British people are Scottish, if you receive my meaning...

I live in England, but I say that I live in Great Britain - and call myself British...

9. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

You guys are confusing.

lol

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Unofficialy, they also have Briish Cypriots, British Asians, British Blacks etc, BUT... if you're from London, no matter what ethnic background, then you are a Londoner--everyone else is Foreign!

11. Salty Registered Senior Member

I think I know why Monty Python is so funny now.

Its kind of the opposite here. You say your an American but that could mean your from Canada, Mexico, Cuba, even South American nations.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Actually over here American is mainly associated with the US, like we call people from Canada, Canadians. And people from Mexico, Mexicans. Same with Brazilians, we call them Brazilians. We can't exactly go around calling people from the USA USAians, USalites, Statians although the term USAssholes is used quite commonly now :bugeye:

13. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

I didn't say they were!

14. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

Right you are. Scotland, Wales, and England are all part of Great Britain. Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England are the entirity of the United Kingdom. The British Isles include both Ireland and the United Kingdom.

15. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

Northern Ireland and Ireland are on island, whilst Wales, Scotland, and England make up Great Britain.

16. Blunther Registered Senior Member

I call my country England, or more commonly Britain. Don't tend to say 'United Kingdom' much. That's more of a written thing in my opinion.

I'd call myself British, I guess. Scots tend to call themselves Scots, Welsh often say they're Welsh. Basically, the more nationalistic in each country refers to their own identity more.

If you said British, it would include Scottish people, yeah. A lot of Scots prefer to be referred to as Scots though, rather than Brits.

I ravel on a UK passport. 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland', I think. That would basically cover England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Ireland is completely seperate now, as you probably know. However, I think Ireland is classed as part of the British Isles, which is a geographical, rather than political term.

As for seperatists, there are mild cases. Recently, Scotland gained its own Parlaiment, and a Welsh Assembly was set up. There are political parties specific to the celtic countries; SNP (Scottish National Party) and Plaid Cymru (Welsh Nationalists). these parties campaign on behalf of their countries, but they don't really want full independance, I don't think. Not many folk do, but there are some. Likewise, there are English people that want independance for the others.

Hope this helps...

17. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

He's Right

Blunther is exactly right.

18. aghart Registered Senior Member

Generally speaking it is the English who consider themselves British and the others who are numerically far smaller tend to think of themselves as Scots, Irish & Welsh as they feel that they are dominated by the English. They thus feel that they are being 'kept down ' by the dominant English and so have a large 'nationalist' faction in each country. Of a combined population approaching 60 million almost 49 million are English.

The facts are that England is the only one of the 'home' countries that could hope to have any sort of of successful future if the UK were to desolve and currently supports all the other regions financially.

It would be fair to say that many 'non english' members of the UK have a chip on their shoulders the size of the 'Ark Royal' ( A British Aircraft Carrier) and have the mistaken view that they could and would be financially better off if they were independant and no longer part of the UK.

19. ben nevis Registered Senior Member

You can take your britain and stick it. I'm a scot not a brit and the only reason england has had anything to do with us is because we, the Irish and Welsh built their empire for them with our soldiers blood. And that is a fact. so stick that in your british pipe and choke on it gunther.

20. Blunther Registered Senior Member

You're just a racist git aren't you Ben Lomond?

A miserable racist git living in the past.

21. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Northern Ireland and Ireland are on an island, and Scotland England and Wales are on an Island,however if you come from Ireland you are not British except if you come from Northern Island, and then only if you belong to England.
    Being British covers all nationalities, unless you are English,all scots are British except the nationalist who are Scottish, the Welsh are British but some are pure Welsh ,You can have a British passport if you are Welsh whether you like it or not,
    I hope this has cleared it all up for you

22. dickbaby Banned Banned

Go on, now someone ask about the rules of cricket

:m:

23. aghart Registered Senior Member

no please not that. I surrender!!!!